Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting I need to back up a bunch of files on a directory and save that file as the current date.... Post 302580746 by bugenhagen_ on Friday 9th of December 2011 12:40:23 PM
Old 12-09-2011
I need to back up a bunch of files on a directory and save that file as the current date....

this is what i have to find the files modified within the past 24 hours
Code:
 find . -mtime -1 -type f -print0 | xargs -0 tar rvf "$archive.tar"

however i need to save/name this archive as the current date (MM-DD,YYYY.tar.gz)

how do i doo this

Last edited by Scott; 12-09-2011 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: Code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

create directory named current date

Since this site solved my problems before, I am back for more (solutions) I down load via a script every day a file that has the same name as the file of the day before. I want to move that file to its own directory like: /archive/jul30 How do I capture the systems date in a script an... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: flowrats
2 Replies

2. Solaris

check the current date file in directory

Hi, I am making a script which check the directory and if there is today date file, it is showing message file is there for today date . 1) filename is accessline.win.$timestamp example ;-accessline.win.200712211004 2) On monday i have recieved two file in this directory with current... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pallvi
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding files in current directory when 100,000's files in current directory

Hi All I was wondering what is the most efficient way to find files in the current directory(that may contain 100,000's files), that meets a certain specified file type and of a certain age. I have experimented with the find command in unix but it also searches all sub directories. I have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kewong007
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create a directory using current date

Hi, I have a question, is there any way I can, when i create a directory, put the current date on it so that the directory name will be "name-current date"? just curious (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aric87
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create a directory named as the current date

I am preparing a shell script to backup a few config files on a daily basis, with a retention of 30 days. Need some help with syntax/examples: The shell script (running as cron) would require the following: 1. create a sub-directory within a specified (backup) directory, in the format... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: FeNiCrC_Neil
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fetch date of 7 years back from current date in Perl

$beginDate = substr(DateCalc("today", "-7Days"),0,8); This fetches the date 7 days back Can I fetch the date before 7 years from todays date in Perl using same syntax Use code tags, see PM. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: parthmittal2007
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Save all the file of current date in another dir?

Hi i want to copy all the files of current date in another directory. for example, below i want to save all the file of 26 march to copied in debug dir. $ ls -lrt | tail -5 -rwxrwxrwx 1 khare guest 73 Jan 6 12:35 chk -rw-r--r-- 1 khare guest 770 Mar 26 02:21 cc1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptor
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to save current day files only?

i want to save current day file daily for this is am using below command. cp -p $(ls -lrt | grep "Apr 15" | awk '{print $9}' in order to script this part, i am saving date output in a file using below command date | awk '{print $2,$3}' >>t1 thru below command i want to list the file of... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptor
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to replace a parameter(variable) date value inside a text files daily with current date?

Hello All, we what we call a parameter file (.txt) where my application read dynamic values when the job is triggered, one of such values are below: abc.txt ------------------ line1 line2 line3 $$EDWS_DATE_INSERT=08-27-2019 line4 $$EDWS_PREV_DATE_INSERT=08-26-2019 I am trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pradeepp
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Searching for a files based on current date directory

Hi All, I've been trying to do some recursive searching but not been very successful. Can someone please help. Scenario: I have directory structure /dir1/dir2/dir3/ 2019/ 11/ 17 18 19 20 so what I want to do is run a script and as its 2019/11/18/ today it would go and only search... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: israr75
3 Replies
GIT-TAR-TREE(1) 						    Git Manual							   GIT-TAR-TREE(1)

NAME
git-tar-tree - Create a tar archive of the files in the named tree object SYNOPSIS
git tar-tree [--remote=<repo>] <tree-ish> [ <base> ] DESCRIPTION
THIS COMMAND IS DEPRECATED. Use git archive with --format=tar option instead (and move the <base> argument to --prefix=base/). Creates a tar archive containing the tree structure for the named tree. When <base> is specified it is added as a leading path to the files in the generated tar archive. git tar-tree behaves differently when given a tree ID versus when given a commit ID or tag ID. In the first case the current time is used as modification time of each file in the archive. In the latter case the commit time as recorded in the referenced commit object is used instead. Additionally the commit ID is stored in a global extended pax header. It can be extracted using git get-tar-commit-id. OPTIONS
<tree-ish> The tree or commit to produce tar archive for. If it is the object name of a commit object. <base> Leading path to the files in the resulting tar archive. --remote=<repo> Instead of making a tar archive from local repository, retrieve a tar archive from a remote repository. CONFIGURATION
tar.umask This variable can be used to restrict the permission bits of tar archive entries. The default is 0002, which turns off the world write bit. The special value "user" indicates that the archiving user's umask will be used instead. See umask(2) for details. EXAMPLES
git tar-tree HEAD junk | (cd /var/tmp/ && tar xf -) Create a tar archive that contains the contents of the latest commit on the current branch, and extracts it in /var/tmp/junk directory. git tar-tree v1.4.0 git-1.4.0 | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a tarball for v1.4.0 release. git tar-tree v1.4.0^{tree} git-1.4.0 | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a tarball for v1.4.0 release, but without a global extended pax header. git tar-tree --remote=example.com:git.git v1.4.0 >git-1.4.0.tar Get a tarball v1.4.0 from example.com. git tar-tree HEAD:Documentation/ git-docs > git-1.4.0-docs.tar Put everything in the current head's Documentation/ directory into git-1.4.0-docs.tar, with the prefix git-docs/. AUTHOR
Written by Rene Scharfe. DOCUMENTATION
Documentation by David Greaves, Junio C Hamano and the git-list <git@vger.kernel.org[1]>. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite NOTES
1. git@vger.kernel.org mailto:git@vger.kernel.org Git 1.7.1 07/05/2010 GIT-TAR-TREE(1)