Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers 1 SSH tunnel, 2 devices: 1 "just works," other gets challenged Post 302580717 by TomRoche on Friday 9th of December 2011 11:05:10 AM
Old 12-09-2011
1 SSH tunnel, 2 devices: 1 "just works," other gets challenged

summary: I have 2 devices on same LAN which tunnel through one gateway to a cluster, using ssh with public keys for password/passphrase-less login. I configured both devices, and those ssh configurations are nearly identical with regard to ssh. From either device I can shell into the cluster. However on one device I can shell in without getting a credential challenge (good), but on the other device I always get challenged (bad). How to debug the latter?

details: I'd appreciate help debugging the following:

I'm in a scientific workplace with (to a very first approximation) 1 LAN for users and lightweight servers, and 1 cluster where the science gets done. Users (like me) on the outer LAN can only connect to the cluster through a gateway/firewall server. Users get issued an XP PC; the servers (mostly) and clusters (exclusively) run RHEL.

The first thing I did to "my" windows box (call it W) was install cygwin, from which I then generated and distributed RSA keys, and setup an SSH tunnel from W through the gateway server (G) to the cluster (C), via

+ a bash script `w2g` on W which connects only W->G

+ a stanza in W:.ssh/config which connects W->G (via `ssh g` from W's commandline)

+ a bash script `g2c` in my homespace on G which connects only G->C

+ a stanza in G:.ssh/config which connects G->C (via `ssh c` from G's commandline)

+ a bash script `w2c` on W (which tunnels W->G->C)

+ a stanza in W:.ssh/config (which tunnels W->G->C, via `ssh c` from W's commandline)

Those all work correctly on W, i.e., without password/passphrase challenge (except when I try to tunnel W->C without first setting up the W->G connection--will post a separate question about that).

But W is still a windows box, so I was thrilled to discover that I could finally start using my personal debian laptop (call it L) on the user LAN. I have configured SSH on L many times for many networks, and quickly got L ssh'ing on the user LAN, using nearly the same procedure as I used with cygwin on W (note both run OpenSSH). So I am a bit chagrined to observe that, while these run password/passphrase-less on L

+ bash script `l2g` on L connecting L->G

+ stanza in L:.ssh/config connecting L->G (via `ssh g` from L's commandline)

and these of course still works without challenge on G once I have ssh'ed in from L

+ bash script `g2c` on G connecting G->C

+ stanza in G:.ssh/config connecting G->C (via `ssh c` from G's commandline)

the following get password-challenged, every time, whether or not I have an already-open L->G SSH session:

- bash script `l2c` on L (tunneling L->G->C)

- stanza in L:.ssh/config (tunneling L->G->C, via `ssh c` from L's commandline)

Note also that

* the contents of file=`l2c` are identical to the contents of file=`w2c`

* the contents of file=W:.ssh/config are identical to the contents of file=L:.ssh/config

particularly, both are forwarding through port#=10230 (dunno how I chose that).

To hopefully clarify the problem, compare how W succeeds with how L fails:

A session on W is like this: with 2 shells open, I can do

1 `ssh g` in one shell: this goes directly to the splash screen and prompt for the gateway, no credential challenge.

2 `w2g` in another shell: this gets the gateway splash screen, then

> bind: Address already in use
> channel_setup_fwd_listener: cannot listen to port: 10230
> Could not request local forwarding.

then I get the prompt for the cluster, no credential challenge. By contrast, on L, with 2 shells open, I can do

1 `ssh g` in one shell: this goes directly to the splash screen and prompt for the gateway, no credential challenge.

2 `l2g` in another shell: this gets the gateway splash screen, then

> Could not request local forwarding.
> me@localhost's password:

i.e., a credential challenge.

What am I doing wrong? or for what should I check?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

"kill -14 pid" doesn't works on all processes !!

If I try to run "kill -14 pid", some processes in my application get terminated , while some keeps running. If SIGALRM signal is sent, they should make an exit. What's the reason any process keeps on running. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: poojac
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

"ld.so.1" error using a cron job | works fine otherwise

Hi, A cron job CJ invokes a shell script SC. SC internally invokes multiple perl scripts. One of the perl scripts deals with Accurev (i am using Accurev CLI). The first accurev command encountered is accurev merge -i <<file_name>> (file name has absolute path) When I run the perl script or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: singh
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

script works well but displays " line 6: =: No such file or directory"

strange :) can you tell why?:cool: #!/bin/bash echo " enter your age " read age if ; then echo " you do not have to pay tax " elif ]; then echo " you are eligible for income tax " else echo " you dont have to pay tax " fi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: me.
3 Replies

5. Red Hat

files having Script which works behind "who" & "w" commands

Dear All, plz print the path of files which have the script of "who" & "w" commands. thnx in advance. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: saqlain.bashir
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is the significance of sh -s in ssh -qtt ${user}@${host} "sh -s "${version}"" < test.sh?

Please can you help me understand the significance of providing arguments under sh -s in > ssh -qtt ${user}@${host} "sh -s "${version}"" < test.sh (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sree10
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

"Mv" command does not work in loop, but works manually

Hi there, this may be a beginner's error, but I've been unable to find a solution on my own and by googling, and now I am really stuck on it. I am simply trying to move directories called for example CAT_Run01.ica to a directory with the corresponding number, Run01, in the same directory. For... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: andrevol
2 Replies