Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting help on awk---- need to assign the output of awk to a variable Post 302580688 by methyl on Friday 9th of December 2011 09:09:23 AM
Old 12-09-2011
@Nithz
In future posts, please post the current version of your script along with any matching error messages.
You are quite a long way adrift with syntax. Note that when assigning variables there is no space character either side of the equals sign.

This should get you past the syntax errors.

Code:
#!/bin/ksh
size=$(du -s | awk '{print $1}')
if [ ${size} -ge 112000 ]
then
        echo "${size} high"
fi

Now! I wonder where the number 112000 came from? The units of the output from "du -s" are in "512 byte blocks".
Using the unix in-line calculator "bc" I get a different value for the number of 512 byte chunks in a Gigabyte.
Code:
echo "(1024*1024*1024)/(512)"|bc

The units of "du -sk" are easier to work with. See the "man" page for "du".

Last edited by methyl; 12-09-2011 at 10:17 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign value to variable using AWK

Dear Friends I have text file as like below, AAAAA|BHBHBH|VERYSMART AAAAA| KKKKKK|GOOD BBBBBB|JJJJJJJ|VERYGOOD CCCCC|HJHJHJ|BETTER CCCCC|UUUUU|GOOD i need to split into seperate files based on column 1 like as below AAAAA.TXT contains -------------------- BHBHBH.VERYSMART... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: HAA
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign values from awk output - help

Dear All, I have a command which gives the number of fields of each line of a comma-separated file. sthng like this : cat QDB_20071126_002.bad | awk -F"," '{ print NF }' I need to assign the first output and the last output of the above command to variables in a script. Need help to do... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: KrishnaSaran
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign o/p of awk to a variable

:confused: Hi UNIX gurus, I am facing a typical problem while assigining while assigining output of awk to a variable. I have a fixed length file say myinputfile.txt When I allow the value/output of an awk to be redirected to a file, it works fine. i.e. awk "/^.{232}$acctNum/ {... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: c2b2
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign awk output to bash variable

greetings all, I am have a heck of a time trying to accomplish a very simple thing. I have an array of "shortname<spaces>id" created from a dscl output. I want to assign shortname=word1 and id=word2. I have tried shortname=$(${textArray} | awk '{print $1}') - and get 'awk : cannot open... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: macnetdaemon
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: assign variable with -v didn't work in awk filter

I want to filter 2nd column = 2 using awk $ cat t 1 2 2 4 $ VAR=2 #variable worked in print $ cat t | awk -v ID=$VAR ' { print ID}' 2 2 # but variable didn't work in awk filter $ cat t | awk -v ID=$VAR '$2~/ID/ { print $0}' (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: honglus
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign awk's variable to shell script's variable?

Dear All, we have a command output which looks like : Total 200 queues in 30000 Kbytes and we're going to get "200" and "30000" for further process. currently, i'm using : numA=echo $OUTPUT | awk '{print $2}' numB=echo $OUTPUT | awk '{print $5}' my question is : can I use just one... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiger2000
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

using awk for setting variable but change the output of this variable within awk

Hi all, Hope someone can help me out here. I have this BASH script (see below) My problem lies with the variable path. The output of the command find will give me several fields. The 9th field is the path. I want to captured that and the I want to filter this to a specific level. The... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cowardly
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign a variable with awk

I launch 'netstat -a', if string 'ESTABLISHED' found, then VAR=1 #!/bin/bash VAR=0; netstat -a | awk '$6 ~ /ESTABLISHED/ {VAR=1}' I cannot find the right syntax. thanx guys! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arpagon
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How can I assign awk's variable to shell script's variable?

I have the following script, and I want to assign the output ($10 and $5) from awk to N and L: grdinfo data.grd | awk '{print $10,$5}'| read N L output from gridinfo data.grd is: data.grd 50 100 41 82 -2796 6944 0.016 0.016 3001 2461. where N and L is suppose to be 3001 and 100. I use... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: geomarine
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to assign a value to a variable in awk scripting?

Hi, I am trying to assign a value using below command and it is assigning the command to the variable not the output of the command? out_value="echo $0 | cut -c 9-11"; How can i assign the output to the variable instead of whole command? This is inside my awk script (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhagya123
7 Replies
DF(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						     DF(1)

NAME
df -- display free disk space SYNOPSIS
df [-agklmn] [-G | -i | -P] [-t type] [file | file_system ...] DESCRIPTION
df displays statistics about the amount of free disk space on the specified file_system or on the file system of which file is a part. By default, all sizes are reported in 512-byte block counts. If neither a file or a file_system operand is specified, statistics for all mounted file systems are displayed (subject to the -l and -t options below). Note that the printed count of available blocks takes minfree into account, and thus will be negative when the number of free blocks on the filesystem is less than minfree. The following options are available: -a Show all mount points, including those that were mounted with the MNT_IGNORE flag. -G Display all the fields of the structure(s) returned by statvfs(2). This option cannot be used with the -i or -P options, and it is modelled after the Solaris -g option. This option will override the -g, -h, -k, and -m options, as well as any setting of BLOCKSIZE. -g The -g option causes the numbers to be reported in gigabytes (1024*1024*1024 bytes). -h "Human-readable" output. Use unit suffixes: Byte, Kilobyte, Megabyte, Gigabyte, Terabyte, Petabyte, Exabyte in order to reduce the number of digits to four or less. -i Include statistics on the number of free inodes. -k By default, all sizes are reported in 512-byte block counts. The -k option causes the numbers to be reported in kilobytes (1024 bytes). -l Display statistics only about mounted file systems with the MNT_LOCAL flag set. If a non-local file system is given as an argument, a warning is issued and no information is given on that file system. -m The -m option causes the numbers to be reported in megabytes (1024*1024 bytes). -n Print out the previously obtained statistics from the file systems. This option should be used if it is possible that one or more file systems are in a state such that they will not be able to provide statistics without a long delay. When this option is speci- fied, df will not request new statistics from the file systems, but will respond with the possibly stale statistics that were previ- ously obtained. -P Produce output in the following portable format: If both the -P and -k option are specified, the output will be preceded by the following header line, formatted to match the data following it: "Filesystem 1024-blocks Used Available Capacity Mounted on " If the -P option is specified without the -k options, the output will be preceded by the following header line, formatted to match the data following it: "Filesystem <blksize>-blocks Used Available Capacity Mounted on " The header line is followed by data formatted as follows: "%s %d %d %d %d%% %s ", <file system name>, <total space>, <space used>, <space free>, <percentage used>, <file system root> Note that the -i option may not be specified with -P. -t type Is used to indicate the actions should only be taken on filesystems of the specified type. More than one type may be specified in a comma-separated list. The list of filesystem types can be prefixed with ``no'' to specify the filesystem types for which action should not be taken. If a file system is given on the command line that is not of the specified type, a warning is issued and no information is given on that file system. ENVIRONMENT
BLOCKSIZE If the environment variable BLOCKSIZE is set, and the -g, -h, -k and -m options are not specified, the block counts will be dis- played in units of that size block. SEE ALSO
quota(1), fstatvfs(2), getvfsstat(2), statvfs(2), getbsize(3), getmntinfo(3), fs(5), fstab(5), mount(8), quot(8), tunefs(8) HISTORY
A df utility appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. BSD
March 4, 2008 BSD