Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Trouble with passing Variable from bash to awk gsub command Post 302580561 by Nostyx on Friday 9th of December 2011 12:27:12 AM
Old 12-09-2011
Trouble with passing Variable from bash to awk gsub command

Would really appreciate it if someone could point out my mistake in this line of code, i've been staring blankly at it trying everything i can think of some time now and coming up with nothing.

Code:
#!/bin/bash
echo "Enter Username"
read Username

awk -F: -v var=${Username} '/^var:/ {gsub(/foo/,"bar", $2); print}' FILENAME

Have already tried...

Code:
awk -F: -v var=${Username} "/^$var:/" '{gsub(/foo/,"bar", $2); print}' FILENAME

awk -F: -v var=${Username} "/^var:/" '{gsub(/foo/,"bar", $2); print}' FILENAME

awk -F: -v var="$Username" "/^var:/" '{gsub(/foo/,"bar", $2); print}' FILENAME

Desired output is to have the script replace "foo" with "bar" in field 2 of FILENAME only on lines beginning with Username entered into read.

After this step the idea is to replace "foo" with ANY data that's in the specified Field, and the Field number to also be specified by the user via a read command.
So if anyone knows a simpler command for doing that all in 1 go that'd be much appreciated too.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing variable values to awk command

Hi, I have a situation where I have to specify a different value to an awk command, I beleive i have the gist of this done, however I am not able to get this correct. Here is what I have so far echo $id 065859555 This value occurs in a "pipe" delimited file in postition 8. Hence I would... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing variable from bash to perl from bash script

Hi All, I need to pass a variable to perl script from bash script, where in perl i am using if condition. Here is the cmd what i am using in perl FROM_DATE="06/05/2008" TO_DATE="07/05/2008" "perl -ne ' print if ( $_ >="$FROM_DATE" && $_ <= "$TO_DATE" ) ' filename" filename has... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: arsidh
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing Bash variable to javascript

How do I pass a bash variable to a javascript? I've tried #!/bin/bash echo "Content-type: text/html" echo "" echo "<html>" echo "<head>" counter=0 echo '<script> window.parent.document.forms.counter.value = "$counter"; </script>' I have an iframe script which I am trying to pass a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: numele
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk's gsub variable in replacement

I been trying to figure out how to use element of array as a replacement pattern. This works as I expected: $ echo "one two three" | awk '{ gsub(/wo/,"_BEG_&_END_",$2); print }' one t_BEG_wo_END_ three $ echo "one two three" | awk '{ tmp="foo"; gsub(/wo/,"_BEG_" tmp "_END_",$2);... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirni
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble with passing variable to sed

Here is my code #!/bin/bash username=gnowicki sed '$s/$/ $username/' < sshd_config 1 <> sshd_config what this is supposed to do is take the name gnowicki and put it at the end of the last line of the sshd_config and it works except not using the variable, if I put the name "gnowicki" where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: slufoot80
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing string as variable(s) in bash

I'm trying to write a basic bash script that takes input you give (what directory, if any, what name, if any ....) and passes the information to find. I'm trying to just create a string with all variables and then pass it to find. So far I have this extremely simple: #!/bin/bash -f ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Starting_Leaf
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign awk gsub result to a variable

Hello, I have searched but failed to find what exactly im looking for, I need to eliminate first "." in a output so i can use something like the following echo "./abc/20141127" | nawk '{gsub("^.","");print}' what i want is to use gsub result later on, how could i achieve it? Let say... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: EAGL€
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variable from bash to perl script

Hi All, I need to pass a variable from bash script to perl script and in the perl script i am using those variables in the sql query but its giving error : Use of uninitialized value $ENV{"COUNTRYCD"} in concatenation (.) or string at /GIS_ROOT/custom/tables/DBread_vendor.pl line 50. Can ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: NileshJ
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

File creation using awk and gsub command

I have input file 04000912|100:|||||]|101:||]|creDate:1451876825000|1441324800000:]|1444003200000:]|1446595200000:]|1449187200000:]|1451865600000:] I have to get output as below ID|Re_Date|Re_Value|Re_date 04000912|100|40.0|44 04000912|100|50.0|55 04000912|100|60.0|66... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shabeena
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk gsub command to replace multiple spaces

Hi Forum. I'm trying to cleanup the following data elements (To remove any occurences of commas and any extra spaces) while preserving the <TAB> delimiter using awk gsub but I have not been successful. Original Data: 4365 monte des source rue,, ,<TAB>trevost<TAB>QC Desired Data:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pchang
1 Replies
DH_LINK(1)							     Debhelper								DH_LINK(1)

NAME
dh_link - create symlinks in package build directories SYNOPSIS
dh_link [debhelperoptions] [-A] [-Xitem] [sourcedestination...] DESCRIPTION
dh_link is a debhelper program that creates symlinks in package build directories. dh_link accepts a list of pairs of source and destination files. The source files are the already existing files that will be symlinked from (called target by ln(1)). The destination files are the symlinks that will be created (called link name by ln(1)). There must be an equal number of source and destination files specified. Be sure you do specify the absolute path to both the source and destination files (unlike you would do if you were using something like ln(1)). Please note that the leading slash is optional. dh_link will generate symlinks that comply with Debian policy - absolute when policy says they should be absolute, and relative links with as short a path as possible. It will also create any subdirectories it needs to put the symlinks in. Any pre-existing destination files will be replaced with symlinks. dh_link also scans the package build tree for existing symlinks which do not conform to Debian policy, and corrects them (v4 or later). FILES
debian/package.links Lists pairs of source and destination files to be symlinked. Each pair should be put on its own line, with the source and destination separated by whitespace. In each pair the source file (called target by ln(1)) comes first and is followed by the destination file (called link name by ln(1)). Thus the pairs of source and destination files in each line are give in the same order as they would be given to ln(1). In contrast to ln(1), source and destination paths must be absolute (the leading slash is optional). OPTIONS
-A, --all Create any links specified by command line parameters in ALL packages acted on, not just the first. -Xitem, --exclude=item Exclude symlinks that contain item anywhere in their filename from being corrected to comply with Debian policy. source destination ... Create a file named destination as a link to a file named source. Do this in the package build directory of the first package acted on. (Or in all packages if -A is specified.) EXAMPLES
dh_link usr/share/man/man1/foo.1 usr/share/man/man1/bar.1 Make bar.1 be a symlink to foo.1 dh_link var/lib/foo usr/lib/foo usr/share/man/man1/foo.1 usr/share/man/man1/bar.1 Make /usr/lib/foo/ be a link to /var/lib/foo/, and bar.1 be a symlink to the foo.1 var/lib/foo usr/lib/foo usr/share/man/man1/foo.1 usr/share/man/man1/bar.1 Same as above but as content for a debian/package.links file. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_LINK(1)