Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Reading CLI input for script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Reading CLI input for script Post 302580199 by mirni on Wednesday 7th of December 2011 11:34:02 PM
Old 12-08-2011
You can check the roots privileges by testing EUID. If EUID==0, then the caller has roots powers.

Check if the account exists: look at /etc/passwd. You can see all users there. /etc/groups stores the groups.

Lock/unlock: create a lock file and test for its existence. You can then even gather other interesting info, like when the user invoked your script (timestamp of lockfile).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading Input in a Script

#!/usr/bin/sh echo "Enter reason:" echo "> \c" read $reason $reason >> access.log This doesnt work for me. Can someone tell me how I would read the input from what the person types, and then append that to the log file? Regards (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alwayslearningunix
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading from input

Hi guys , As you know normally ' read ' statement waits for the user to press enter and then terminates the input ............. Can anyone of u tell me how do i read a single character from input without waiting for the user to press enter ................ Thanks, Nagesh. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nageshrc
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading input to create a variable in a script?

I would like to prompt for input and then use it as a variable in a script. Something like this. #!/bin/ksh echo "What is your name?: \c" read response echo "Your name is $reply" >file.txt done exit 0 What am I missing? Thanks, (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: darthur
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for reading an input file

#!/bin/sh rpt="/export/home/legato/rpt_offsite"/test_eject.tape cat <$rpt while read line do echo $line perform routine done I am trying to read the contents of this file line by line and perform a routine for each line read. The file contents are numbers.. What is wrong with my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gzs553
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading specific contents from 1 input files and appending it to another input file

Hi guys, I am new to AWK and unix scripting. Please see below my problem and let me know if anyone you can help. I have 2 input files (example given below) Input file 2 is a standard file (it will not change) and we have to get the name (second column after comma) from it and append it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sksahu
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script - reading input lines

Can I do something like, if($0==/^int.*$/) { print "Declaration" } for an input like: int a=5; If the syntax is right, it is not working for me, but I am not sure about the syntax. Please help. Thanks, Prasanna (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prasanna1157
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[SH] Problem reading input in script

Alright, so the goal of my script is to read text from standard input and store it into a file using the ex-editor: so far i've got this, but it doesn't work. #!/bin/s read text ex $1 >> HERE text HERE I don't get any errors either, so i don't know what i'm doing wrong. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bertieboy7
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Script Not Reading Input Files Correctly

This is one of the strangest things that's happening to me. I'm writing a new Perl script that is trying to read a file. The file is originally in .mof format, but I also saved the contents into a .txt file. As a simple test, I wrote this: #!/user/bin/perl -w use strict; ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kooshi
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array from cli input

I need to create a bash array from the command line parameters. I only know how to do it when I know the number of parameters. But what do I do when I dont know the number of parameters? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: locoroco
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read multiple input from CLI :ksh

Hi folks.. i got a requirement to red multiple directories from STDIN and store them to a variable. ex:- echo "Enter directory to add:" echo " Enter directory to add:" read value till there is input and when there is no input close the read loop and store variable into an array ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bangaram
1 Replies
SETUID(1)						      General Commands Manual							 SETUID(1)

NAME
setuid - run a command with a different uid. SYNOPSIS
setuid username|uid command [ args ] DESCRIPTION
Setuid changes user id, then executes the specified command. Unlike some versions of su(1), this program doesn't ever ask for a password when executed with effective uid=root. This program doesn't change the environment; it only changes the uid and then uses execvp() to find the command in the path, and execute it. (If the command is a script, execvp() passes the command name to /bin/sh for processing.) For example, setuid some_user $SHELL can be used to start a shell running as another user. Setuid is useful inside scripts that are being run by a setuid-root user -- such as a script invoked with super, so that the script can execute some commands using the uid of the original user, instead of root. This allows unsafe commands (such as editors and pagers) to be used in a non-root mode inside a super script. For example, an operator with permission to modify a certain protected_file could use a super command that simply does: cp protected_file temp_file setuid $ORIG_USER ${EDITOR:-/bin/vi} temp_file cp temp_file protected_file (Note: don't use this example directly. If the temp_file can somehow be replaced by another user, as might be the case if it's kept in a temporary directory, there will be a race condition in the time between editing the temporary file and copying it back to the protected file.) AUTHOR
Will Deich local SETUID(1)