Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Removing old user directories that are no longer Users in /etc/passwd Post 302580154 by Corona688 on Wednesday 7th of December 2011 05:44:25 PM
Old 12-07-2011
Looking in find's options, I see this useful thing:

Code:
 %u     File's user name, or numeric user ID if the user has no name.

So find itself can tell you when a user's been deleted! Lovely.

So you can do this:
Code:
find /home -type d -mindepth 1 -maxdepth 1 -printf '%u %f\n' |
        # Print only pure numbers > 1000
        awk '$1 ~ /^[0-9]*$/ && $1 > 1000' |
        while read UID DIR
        do
                echo "/home/${DIR} has uid ${UID} and no username:"
                ls -ld "/home/${DIR}"
        done

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

append 3 users in /etc/passwd

I am looking to add 3 lines in /etc/passwd via a script. Can you please give me an idea on how to write a script that can do that? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Users logged in longer than machine uptime?

SCO 5.06 Anyone ever have an issue where: uptime returns: SCO:/# uptime 4:40pm up 4:50, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00 w returns: SCO:/# w User Tty Login@ Idle JCPU PCPU What root tty01 - 72:20 - - -ksh I've rebooted yet... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gseyforth
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

editing sqlplus id@passwd in multiple scripts, users and directories

hi all, i was given by my supervisor a task to search for scripts which contain oracle sqlplus i.e "myusername/mypasswd @myDB" in every /home/userfolder, which are, all the scripts made by different user. I've done some find command to search string for sqlplus, but it may up too long to respond.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Helmi
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

User Name and Password List/adding and removing users.

Hello everyone and let me start off by thanking anyone who can help with this. I work for a company that uses Unix as one of their servers. I'm not at all familar with Unix beyond logging after I restart the server:rolleyes: I'm looking for some command that will bring me up a list of current... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: disgracedsaint
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Number of users in passwd

This command prints out username/users in /etc/passwd: cut -d ':' -f '1,5' /etc/passwd | sort I wonder if I also, after above commands output, can get an output that lists number of users in the group? I need to use uniq to get rid of duplicates. I´ve tried this, but cant get it right, can... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: oskis
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Determining if user is local-user in /etc/passwd or LDAP user

Besides doing some shell-script which loops through /etc/passwd, I was wondering if there was some command that would tell me, like an enhanced version of getent. The Operating system is Solaris 10 (recent-ish revision) using Sun DS for LDAP. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckmehta
5 Replies

7. Solaris

Impact on existing users when changing passwd defaults

Hi Administering Solaris Systems - Solaris 10 mostly. If I change the /etc/default/passwd settings - E.G. to increase minimum passwd length, then what happens to existing users with passwords shorter than this. presumably they are not affected until next time they want to change password. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mudshark
4 Replies

8. Solaris

Can't change users passwd

Have an issue with a user or root changing the user's passwd. We run the passwd command and a complex passwd is entered a message is displayed, "passwd is based on a dictionary word." We do have a dictionary file and I know for a fact the complex passwd is not in the list. This happens on a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: solizkewl
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Giving read write permission to user for specific directories and sub directories.

I have searched this quite a long time but couldn't find the right method for me to use. I need to assign read write permission to the user for specific directories and it's sub directories and files. I do not want to use ACL. This is for Solaris. Please help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: blinkingdan
1 Replies
pure-quotacheck(8)						     Pure-FTPd							pure-quotacheck(8)

NAME
pure-quotacheck - Update virtual quota files for Pure-FTPd SYNTAX
pure-quotacheck -u username/gid -d home directory [-g group/gid] DESCRIPTION
pure-quotacheck create a .ftpquota file in the specified directory. This file contains the current file and size of the directory, and it is used by Pure-FTPd when virtual quotas are enabled. It's recommended to periodically run pure-quotacheck for every user, in crontabs. OPTIONS
-d <directory> Scans the specified <directory>. -g <group or gid> Sets the group files will be scanned as. This is optional : if a user name is passed to -u</fR>, group are automatically retrieved. -u <user or uid> Set the user name files will be scanned as. This is mandatory, and it can't be "root". -h Output usage information and exit. FILES
.ftpquota EXAMPLES
To run this program the standard way type: pure-quotacheck -u john -d /home/john AUTHORS
Frank DENIS <j at pureftpd dot org> SECURITY
pure-quotacheck switches real and effective uids/gids as soon as possible. Root privileges are never given back. pure-quotacheck refuses to scan directories with uid = 0 (root) or gid = 0 (wheel/root) . pure-quotacheck performs a chroot() call to the home directory. It never traverses parent directories. pure-quotacheck only scans real files (no socket, no pipe, etc) . pure-quotacheck enforces read access on directories to prevent against people doing chmod 0 before a quota scan. pure-quotacheck enforces write access on the home directory to properly write the .ftpquota file. pure-quotacheck never scans the same inode/device pair twice. SEE ALSO
ftp(1), pure-ftpd(8) pure-ftpwho(8) pure-mrtginfo(8) pure-uploadscript(8) pure-statsdecode(8) pure-pw(8) pure-quotacheck(8) pure-authd(8) RFC 959, RFC 2228, RFC 2389 and RFC 2428. Pure-FTPd team 1.0.36 pure-quotacheck(8)