Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to write code for a Logging Event? Post 302580127 by Corona688 on Wednesday 7th of December 2011 03:06:12 PM
Old 12-07-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKbStockpiler
What is the technical term for writing the code that sources the log files like klogd and syslogd?
You mean, writes the log files?

How about "error logging"?
Quote:
I run my own code that oversees how my programs intentions panned out, then I use a logger command correct?
Depends what you're trying to do.
Quote:
What system resources aide in determining if an error has occurred? Proc, Trace , OOP events and what else?
Generally none of the above. Unless something goes seriously wrong like a segfault, generally only your program knows if anything's going wrong.

An 'OOP event' in particular isn't a real thing. It's a programming method/buzzword. Object-oriented programs still deal with the same things.

In the end, checking for errors means checking if any data you receive makes sense, and checking if system calls you make succeed or not.
Quote:
I expect to find a lot of intentional documents on this subject but it looks like everyone must just wing it.
It sounds like you're reading papers describing what should be done but not how.

What, exactly, are you trying to do here? It sounds almost like you've been handed a list of substanceless buzzwords from on high and been told to obey them.

Last edited by Corona688; 12-07-2011 at 04:12 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How does Unix write events into event log?

Hi to everyone. I'm new to this forum and also pretty new to Unix. I'm developing a cross-platform software and I need to register informational and error messages into the event log of the system. Under Windows, this is implemented so far, I need to implement it unded Unix by now. I do know that... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mariano_donati
7 Replies

2. IP Networking

read/write,write/write lock with smbclient fails

Hi, We have smb client running on two of the linux boxes and smb server on another linux system. During a backup operation which uses smb, read of a file was allowed while write to the same file was going on.Also simultaneous writes to the same file were allowed.Following are the settings in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: swatidas11
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Event logging to file and display to console | tee command is not able to log all info.

My intention is to log the output to a file as well as it should be displayed on the console > I have used tee ( tee -a ${filename} ) command for this purpose. This is working as expected for first few outputs, after some event loggin nothing is gettting logged in to the file but It is displaying... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanoop
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logging success event into file

Hi, I've the following code to log the errors any after the command is executed. # Ksh 88 Version log_path=/home/etc/fls/fls_log.log del_path=/home/etc/fls/to_day rm $del_path/* >> $log_path 2>&1 But I even want to log if the rm command is success without any error along with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smile689
1 Replies

5. Linux

Syslog not logging successful logging while unlocking server's console

When unlocking a Linux server's console there's no event indicating successful logging Is there a way I can fix this ? I have the following in my rsyslog.conf auth.info /var/log/secure authpriv.info /var/log/secure (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: walterthered
1 Replies
PPI::Token::QuoteLike(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				  PPI::Token::QuoteLike(3)

NAME
PPI::Token::QuoteLike - Quote-like operator abstract base class INHERITANCE
PPI::Token::QuoteLike isa PPI::Token isa PPI::Element DESCRIPTION
The "PPI::Token::QuoteLike" class is never instantiated, and simply provides a common abstract base class for the five quote-like operator classes. In PPI, a "quote-like" is the set of quote-like things that exclude the string quotes and regular expressions. The subclasses of "PPI::Token::QuoteLike" are: qw{} - PPI::Token::QuoteLike::Words `` - PPI::Token::QuoteLike::Backtick qx{} - PPI::Token::QuoteLike::Command qr// - PPI::Token::QuoteLike::Regexp <FOO> - PPI::Token::QuoteLike::Readline The names are hopefully obvious enough not to have to explain what each class is. See their pages for more details. You may note that the backtick and command quote-like are treated separately, even though they do the same thing. This is intentional, as the inherit from and are processed by two different parts of the PPI's quote engine. SUPPORT
See the support section in the main module. AUTHOR
Adam Kennedy <adamk@cpan.org> COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2001 - 2011 Adam Kennedy. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of the license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.18.2 2011-02-25 PPI::Token::QuoteLike(3)