Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Signalsafe data structures
Top Forums Programming Signalsafe data structures Post 302579931 by JohnGraham on Wednesday 7th of December 2011 04:17:17 AM
Old 12-07-2011
The general way to deal with this is: don't. In your signal handler, do as little work as possible - i.e. set/increment a flag to let your program know the signal has been caught, and do the work from the main body of the code.

In the case of incrementing a flag, you might want to have a look at __sync_fetch_and_add() and such in the gcc documentation - do a search for "gcc atomic builtins".

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Recommendations For Generic C Data Structures & Algorithms

Hi All, Rather than re-invent the wheel, I am trying to find a mature C library that provides generic support for lists, trees, etc. I understand C doesn't formally support "generics", but am aware of a few solutions like GLib and SGLib. Can anyone kindly recommend what they think is best?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tristan12
1 Replies

2. Programming

shared memory - userdefined data structures

Hello, I wonder if I can write my userdefined data structures(ex: a list) to a shared memory segment? I know, the shm functions get (void*) parameter so I should be able to read and write a list into the shared memory. may someone inform and clarify me about that, please? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xyzt
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Data Structures

Here is what i need to do. @data #has all column wise data so say info for col 1 location for all rows would be in this array $array = \@data But i need to create a file which should contain these information in a format for all columns even if i have got no values from some of the index... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinjo_jo
0 Replies
sigsuspend(2)							System Calls Manual						     sigsuspend(2)

NAME
sigsuspend - Atomically changes the set of blocked signals and waits for a signal LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc.so, libc.a) SYNOPSIS
#include <signal.h> int sigsuspend ( const sigset_t *signal_mask ); STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: sigsuspend(): XPG4, XPG4-UNIX Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. PARAMETERS
Points to a set of signals. DESCRIPTION
The sigsuspend() function replaces the signal mask of the process (or thread) with the set of signals pointed to by the signal_mask parame- ter, and then suspends execution of the caller until delivery of a signal whose action is either to execute a signal-catching function or to terminate the process. The sigsuspend() function does not allow the SIGKILL or SIGSTOP signals to be blocked. If a program attempts to block one of these signals, the sigsuspend() function gives no indication of the error; the illegal request is simply ignored. If delivery of a signal causes the process to terminate, the sigsuspend() function does not return. If delivery of a signal causes a sig- nal-catching function to execute, the sigsuspend() function returns after the signal-catching function returns, with the signal mask restored to the set that existed prior to the call to the sigsuspend() function. The sigsuspend() function sets the signal mask and waits for an unblocked signal as one atomic operation. This means that signals cannot occur between the operations of setting the mask and waiting for a signal. If a program invokes sigprocmask(SIG_SETMASK) and sigpause() separately, a signal that occurs between these functions might not be noticed by sigpause(). In normal usage, a signal is blocked by using the sigprocmask(SIG_BLOCK,...) or pthread_sigmask(...) function at the beginning of a crit- ical section. The process then determines whether there is work for it to do. If no work is to be done, the process waits for work by call- ing the sigsuspend() function with the mask previously returned by the sigprocmask() function. NOTES
The sigpause() function is provided for compatibility with older UNIX systems; its function is a subset of the sigsuspend() function. RETURN VALUES
Since the sigsuspend() function suspends process execution indefinitely, there is no successful completion return value. If a return occurs, -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The sigsuspend() function sets errno to the specified values for the following conditions: A signal is caught by the calling process and control is returned from the signal-catching function. RELATED INFORMATION
Functions: pause(3), sigaction(2), sigblock(2), sigprocmask(2), sigvec(2) Standards: standards(5) delim off sigsuspend(2)