Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting reading files and pasting in another text file Post 302579654 by vgersh99 on Tuesday 6th of December 2011 09:25:44 AM
Old 12-06-2011
Code:
nawk 'FNR==NR{f2[$6]=$4 OFS $NF OFS $6;next}$1 in f2 {print f2[$1]}' OFS=: file2.txt file1.txt > file3.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pasting text into an existing file

I have a text file that has over 300 lines that I need to paste identical data to. What is the easiest way to do this? For example if I have a file that has lines of text xxxxxxxx and I would like to change each line to look like this "display text(xxxxxxxx)". What would be the easiest way to do... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: darthur
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trouble pasting multiple files together!!

Hi, I would like to paste multiple files together into one large file. I have 23 of them and I would like to link them on a common variable without writing all the file names out (like in a simple join). Each has about 28,000 columns, but only 17 rows. So the final product would be a single file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: etownbetty
2 Replies

3. Programming

fopen() + reading in large text files

For reading in large text files (say files over 1kB in size) are there any issues with fopen() that I should be aware of ? cheers (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesGoh
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

pasting two files while transposing one of them

hey, I have more a structural problem. I have two input files: 1.inp: 1 2 3 a b c 2 3 4 d f g and the 2.inp 6 6 6 7 7 7 8 8 8 The goal is to get as much output files (with a name 1_2_3.dat) as lines in 1.inp are like this: 6 6 6 a 7 7 7 b 8 8 8 c (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ergy1983
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

pasting fields from two files into one

i have two files with contents file a 1234,abcf 2345,drft 4444,befr file b tom,3 sam,5 dog,7 i want to print first column of file b and join to file a and get output as below tom,1234,abcf sam,2345,drft dog,4444,befr (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dealerso
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pasting a column into a text file

I have two text files: One is a single column of numbers and the other is a space delimited text file with multiple columns. I want to paste the single column of numbers into the second column of the latter text file. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying and Pasting columns from one text file to another

I have a tab delimited text file that I want to cut columns 3,4,5 from. Then I want to paste these columns into a space delimited text file between columns 2 and 3. I still want to keep the space delimited format in the final text file. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pasting files with different number of lines

Hi all, I tried to use the paste command to paste two files with different number of lines. e.g. file1 A 1 B 1 C 2 D 2 file2 A 2 B 3 C 4 D 4 E 4 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with pasting files in filesystem

quick question.. say i have few files in D or E drive.. i want to paste them in Filesystem that is /home/vivek folder... but when i try to do that it shows some error saying "There is not enough space on the destination. Try to remove files to make space." but i think its due to authorization... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
3 Replies

10. Programming

How to write in other language in text/xml file by reading english text/xml file using C++?

Hello Team, I have 2 files.one contains english text and another contains Japanese. so i have to read english text and replace the text with Japanesh text in third file. Basically, I need a help to write japanese language in text/xml file.I heard wstring does this.Not sure how do i write... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SA_Palani
2 Replies
merge(1)																  merge(1)

NAME
merge - three-way file merge SYNOPSIS
merge [-Llabel1 [-Llabel3]] [-p] [-q] file1 file2 file3 DESCRIPTION
merge incorporates all changes that lead from file2 to file3 into file1. The result goes to standard output if -p is present, into file1 otherwise. merge is useful for combining separate changes to an original. Suppose file2 is the original, and both file1 and file3 are modifications of file2. Then merge combines both changes. An overlap occurs if both file1 and file3 have changes in a common segment of lines. On a few older hosts where diff3 does not support the -E option, merge does not detect overlaps, and merely supplies the changed lines from file3. On most hosts, if overlaps occur, merge out- puts a message (unless the -q option is given), and includes both alternatives in the result. The alternatives are delimited as follows: <<<<<<< file1 lines in file1 ======= lines in file3 >>>>>>> file3 If there are overlaps, the user should edit the result and delete one of the alternatives. If the -L label1 and -L label3 options are given, the labels are output in place of the names file1 and file3 in overlap reports. DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is 0 for no overlaps, 1 for some overlaps, 2 for trouble. IDENTIFICATION
Author: Walter F. Tichy. Revision Number: 1.1.6.2; Release Date: 1993/10/07. Copyright (C) 1982, 1988, 1989 by Walter F. Tichy. Copyright (C) 1990, 1991 by Paul Eggert. SEE ALSO
diff3(1), diff(1), rcsmerge(1), co(1) merge(1)