Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting using rm with find -exec gives error Post 302579453 by Sekullos on Monday 5th of December 2011 06:42:39 PM
Old 12-05-2011
using rm with find -exec gives error

Greetings,

Everytime I use rm with find I get errors like find: ./test: No such file or directory

For exemple :

Code:
hostname> mkdir test
hostname> ls
test
hostname> find . -type d -name test -exec rm -rf {} \;
find: ./test: No such file or directory
hostname>ls
hostname> echo $?

So the command completes the required action (deleting the directory called "test") but returns an exit 1
It's kinda annoying
When I do a simple rm -rf i get no error

Any idea?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

find and exec

Hi, Happy new year. Would you be so kind to explain me what does this instruction : find /rep/app -type l -exec ls -l {} \;> allink.lst Many thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find command exec error

Hi All, i am writing a shell script in korn shell which deletes all the files in a directory once in every 10DAYS. the directory has different format files. the script has something like this; cd /home/data/pavi echo "Please Enter the Number of Days to search for" read DAYS... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pavan_test
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find .... -exec rm .... \; works, but gives an error

I am using find to get all the instances of a given directory name, then remove those directories with a -exec rm command. here is an example: mkdir -p foo/bar find foo -name bar -exec rm -rf {} \; foo will get deleted as I desired, however this pops out on standard error: find: foo/bar:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Afifi
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

| with find -exec

can we use |(pipe operator) with find -exec.....? or can pipe the output of find command to another command...? if not, why...? pls explain (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijay_0209
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using MV FIND and -EXEC

Hi, i would like to rename files in directories and subdirs. Files contains specific french or strange caracters. I want to replace all non alpha-numerics by _ (underscore) First, i made this, but i think the "for" is limited. How can i do this directly by FIND ? for file in $(find .... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: degraff63
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find Exec

Hello All, Is there a way to make exec do a couple of operations on a single input from find? For example, find . -type d -exec ls -l "{}" ";" I would like to give the result of each "ls -l" in the above to a wc. Is that possible? I want to ls -l | wc -l inside... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prasanna1157
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

find -exec with 2 commands doesn't work (error incomplete staement)

Hi Gurues, I need to modify an existing script that uses find to search a folder, and then move its contents to a folder. What I need to do is run gzip on each file after it's moved. So, I ran this little test: Put a ls.tar file on my $HOME, mkdir tmp, and then: virtuo@tnpmprd01: find .... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: llagos
3 Replies

8. Ubuntu

Find and exec

Hello, I am a linux newbe. I want to install a program. I can download it only with wget command from internet. As far as i know this wget command does not transfer the exacutable flags. Because of that i wanted to find all configure files and change their mod to 744. I found this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: disconnectus
1 Replies

9. Ubuntu

Find and EXEC

This is a huge issue. and I need it fixed ASAP. account-system gate-system race_traffic_sensor achievement-system global race_voicepack admin glue-system realdriveby admin-system gps realism-system... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: austech360
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

find: missing argument to `-exec' while redirecting using find in perl

Hi Friends, Please help me to sort out this problem, I am running this in centos o/s and whenever I run this script I am getting "find: missing argument to `-exec' " but when I run the same code in the command line I didn't find any problem. I am using perl script to run this ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkumarselvam
2 Replies
cupstestppd(1)							    Apple Inc.							    cupstestppd(1)

NAME
cupstestppd - test conformance of ppd files SYNOPSIS
cupstestppd [ -I category ] [ -R rootdir ] [ -W category ] [ -q ] [-r] [ -v[v] ] filename.ppd[.gz] [ ... filenameN.ppd[.gz] ] cupstestppd [ -R rootdir ] [ -W category ] [ -q ] [-r] [ -v[v] ] - DESCRIPTION
cupstestppd tests the conformance of PPD files to the Adobe PostScript Printer Description file format specification version 4.3. It can also be used to list the supported options and available fonts in a PPD file. The results of testing and any other output are sent to the standard output. The first form of cupstestppd tests one or more PPD files on the command-line. The second form tests the PPD file provided on the standard input. OPTIONS
cupstestppd supports the following options: -I filename Ignores all PCFileName warnings. -I filters Ignores all filter errors. -I profiles Ignores all profile errors. -R rootdir Specifies an alternate root directory for the filter, pre-filter, and other support file checks. -W constraints Report all UIConstraint errors as warnings. -W defaults Except for size-related options, report all default option errors as warnings. -W filters Report all filter errors as warnings. -W profiles Report all profile errors as warnings. -W sizes Report all media size errors as warnings. -W translations Report all translation errors as warnings. -W all Report all of the previous errors as warnings. -W none Report all of the previous errors as errors. -q Specifies that no information should be displayed. -r Relaxes the PPD conformance requirements so that common whitespace, control character, and formatting problems are not treated as hard errors. -v Specifies that detailed conformance testing results should be displayed rather than the concise PASS/FAIL/ERROR status. -vv Specifies that all information in the PPD file should be displayed in addition to the detailed conformance testing results. The -q, -v, and -vv options are mutually exclusive. EXIT STATUS
cupstestppd returns zero on success and non-zero on error. The error codes are as follows: 1 Bad command-line arguments or missing PPD filename. 2 Unable to open or read PPD file. 3 The PPD file contains format errors that cannot be skipped. 4 The PPD file does not conform to the Adobe PPD specification. EXAMPLES
The following command will test all PPD files under the current directory and print the names of each file that does not conform: find . -name *.ppd ! -exec cupstestppd -q '{}' ; -print The next command tests all PPD files under the current directory and print detailed conformance testing results for the files that do not conform: find . -name *.ppd ! -exec cupstestppd -q '{}' ; -exec cupstestppd -v '{}' ; SEE ALSO
lpadmin(8), http://localhost:631/help Adobe PostScript Printer Description File Format Specification, Version 4.3. COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2007-2013 by Apple Inc. 19 November 2009 CUPS cupstestppd(1)