Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting loop to display whatever number use types Post 302579262 by CarloM on Monday 5th of December 2011 09:25:14 AM
Old 12-05-2011
{N..M} is a shell sequence expression, which generates a numeric or char sequence between N and M (inclusive).
Code:
echo {1..3}
1 2 3

If your shell doesn't support it you can use seq.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to use ps to display processor number

I'm on a Unix 5.2 server and I want to be able to see my processes to verify they are active and which processor they are running on. ps -l will show me the status of process (active/stopped/idle) but to see which processor the process is assigned to I don't know how. Manpages show -o... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tumblez
1 Replies

2. Programming

how i display number in words

helo i want to implement the following concept in my project write a c/c++ algorithm for : accept a number from the user not greater than 6 digits and display the number in words i.e. if the input from the user is 18265 then the output should be Eighteen Thousand Two Hundred Sixty Five. if the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitpansuria
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

display number of subdirectories

Can anyone tell me what command would display the number of subdirectories in the current or given location? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjamd64
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Display Serial Number

Hello, I am running Solaris 9 and I need to display the serial number of my machine. How can I do this? Here is my machine info: SunOS birch 5.9 Generic_118558-09 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V240 Thank you, David (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dkranes
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

display unique number

Hi, how i can display all the unique number from my random number script below; #!/usr/bin/perl use strict; my @alphanum = ( 'A' .. 'Z', 'a' .. 'z', 0 .. 9); my $random = join('', map($alphanum,(1..5))); print "$random\n"; Thank You. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: malaysoul
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search two file types within a for loop

I need to search for a csv and a dat file within a for loop then output them to a log table. I can do it individually but I want them together. See below code: check csv count=0 for file in $(ls *.csv) ; do count=`expr $count + 1` ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pablo_beezo
4 Replies

7. Ubuntu

display the mounted file system types

how can i list/display the mounted partitions in Ubunutu, mount command just display the devices but not the file system used. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: XP_2600
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

display types of files using metacharacters

1) I want to display all the files in a directory that start with the word chapter, are followed by a digit 1,2,6,8, or 9 and end with .eps or .prn so I came up with this file ~/temp/chapter.eps ~/temp/chapter.prn but is there a better way, i.e. combining both file types into the command? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dunsta
2 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Display number from 10 to 1 using shell programming in while loop

echo "enter the number" read n while do echo "$n" let n-- done (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aswin
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display number from 10 to 1 using shell programming in while loop

display number from 10 to 1 using shell programming in while loop and using read n numbers (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aswin
2 Replies
SEQ(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    SEQ(1)

NAME
seq -- print sequences of numbers SYNOPSIS
seq [-w] [-f format] [-s string] [-t string] [first [incr]] last DESCRIPTION
The seq utility prints a sequence of numbers, one per line (default), from first (default 1), to near last as possible, in increments of incr (default 1). When first is larger than last, the default incr is -1. All numbers are interpreted as floating point. Normally integer values are printed as decimal integers. The seq utility accepts the following options: -f format Use a printf(3) style format to print each number. Only the A, a, E, e, F, f, G, g, and % conversion characters are valid, along with any optional flags and an optional numeric minimum field width or precision. The format can contain character escape sequences in backslash notation as defined in ANSI X3.159-1989 (``ANSI C89''). The default is %g. -s string Use string to separate numbers. The string can contain character escape sequences in backslash notation as defined in ANSI X3.159-1989 (``ANSI C89''). The default is . -t string Use string to terminate sequence of numbers. The string can contain character escape sequences in backslash notation as defined in ANSI X3.159-1989 (``ANSI C89''). This option is useful when the default separator does not contain a . -w Equalize the widths of all numbers by padding with zeros as necessary. This option has no effect with the -f option. If any sequence numbers will be printed in exponential notation, the default conversion is changed to %e. EXIT STATUS
The seq utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
# seq 1 3 1 2 3 # seq 3 1 3 2 1 # seq -w 0 .05 .1 0.00 0.05 0.10 SEE ALSO
jot(1), printf(1), printf(3) HISTORY
The seq command first appeared in Plan 9 from Bell Labs. A seq command appeared in NetBSD 3.0, and ported to FreeBSD 9.0. This command was based on the command of the same name in Plan 9 from Bell Labs and the GNU core utilities. The GNU seq command first appeared in the 1.13 shell utilities release. BUGS
The -w option does not handle the transition from pure floating point to exponent representation very well. The seq command is not bug for bug compatible with the Plan 9 from Bell Labs or GNU versions of seq. BSD
September 10, 2013 BSD