Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Grep to return lines not containing a character Post 302579063 by bbqtoss on Sunday 4th of December 2011 10:49:12 AM
Old 12-04-2011
Grep to return lines not containing a character

Hello , this is my first topic cause I need your little helpSmilie

I got .txt file, and I want to find lines without letter 'a', so im writing:

grep "[^a]" list.txt (list.txt is the file of course)
and i have no idea why it's not working because it shows lines with a.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test return character.

Hi, in my korn shell I have this code: typeset -uL1 rc read rc?"Insert Y=Yes (default) or N=No >>" If I press enter without value I wish to set rc=Y. This is my default. This test: if ] then .... Do not work. I hope in your help. Thanks in advance. Regards, Giovanni (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gio123bg
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substituting carriage return followed by newline character - HELP

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hi All I have a field being returned from the DB that when opened in Vi shows a ^M before the rest of the field is displayed on the next line. I need it so that the only newline character is the end of the... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: djkane
14 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep for a line then return lines above

Hey guys, I just want to grep for a line then return a few lines above it I can't seem to find what im looking for on google can someone help me out? This is on Solaris 9..... I don't have GNU grep so -B and -A commands will not work (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingdbag
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed and character return problem

Hi, I have a problem with sed. It doesn't recognize the "\n" character. It substitudes an "n", instead of introducing a new line. This doesn't happend with print $ print "test \n \n" (it deos introduce two lines after hello) (AIX) $ sed s/bc/\n/g test.1 >test.2 $ cat test.1 bcdefg... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Santiago
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to grep all lines from a file NOT having a certain character

Hi, I have for instance following INPUT file from which I want to grep ALL lines NOT containing the literal '{' into an OUTPUT file: ... RUNJOB=1,AxBxALLxGEx RUNJOB=0,AxBxDELxGExPRAEMxABLxZGS RUNJOB=0,AxBxDELxGExPRAEMxHARM RUNJOB=0,{UNIX: echo '§ASG§;%ASG_START}... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ABE2202
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

| help | unix | grep - Can I use grep to return a string with exactly n matches?

Hello, I looking to use grep to return a string with exactly n matches. I'm building off this: ls -aLl /bin | grep '^.\{9\}x' | tr -s ' ' -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 632816 Nov 25 2008 vi -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 632816 Nov 25 2008 view -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 16008 May 25 2008... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: MykC
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return part of string after X numbers of a character

My input strings look something like this: /dev/vs/dsk/group/vol I want to print just "group" out of the line... which is always found between the 4th and 5th "/" in the string. I figure I have to use awk, sed, or some combination to do this, but I've searched the forums and can't find... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ltricarico
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Grep command to return all the lines from one matched pattern to another.

For example a log file looks like below- 13:30:00- abcdefghijklhjghjghjhskj. abcdefghijkl. 14:15:00- abcdefghijkl. 14:30:00- abcdefghijkl. 14:35:00- abcdefghijkl. 123456789. 123456789. 14:45:00- abcdefghijkl. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev_shivv
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep command to return all the lines between one matched pattern to another.

14:15:00- abcdefghijkl. 14:30:00- abcdefghijkl. 14:35:00- abcdefghijkl. 123456789. 123456789. 14:45:00- abcdefghijkl. 14:50:00- abcdefghijkl. 123456789. 15:30:00-abcdefghijkl. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev_shivv
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep : Filter/Move All The Lines Containing Not More Than One "X" Character Into A Text File

Hi All It's me again with another huge txt files. :confused: What I have: - I have 33 huge txt files in a folder. - I have thousands of line in this txt file which contain many the letter "x" in them. - Some of them have more than one "x" character in the line. What I want to achieve:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nexeu
8 Replies
dos2unix(1)						      General Commands Manual						       dos2unix(1)

NAME
dos2unix - DOS/MAC to UNIX text file format converter SYNOPSYS
dos2unix [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents dos2unix, the program that converts plain text files in DOS/MAC format to UNIX format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates dos2unix under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. dos2unix Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. dos2unix a.txt b.txt dos2unix -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. Convert c.txt from Mac to Unix ascii format. dos2unix a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c mac a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. dos2unix -k a.txt dos2unix -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. dos2unix -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix a.txt -n b.txt e.txt dos2unix -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. dos2unix -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHORS
Benjamin Lin - <blin@socs.uts.edu.au> Bernd Johannes Wuebben (mac2unix mode) <wuebben@kde.org> MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
unix2dos(1) mac2unix(1) 1995.03.31 dos2unix v3.0 dos2unix(1)