Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script to Send an email using mail command Post 302579055 by kshji on Sunday 4th of December 2011 09:17:56 AM
Old 12-04-2011
This is generic, usually works in most of *nix systems. But MTA must be configured (sendmail, postfix, exim, ...). Smart relay is usually the easiest method.
Code:
#!/usr/bin/somesh     bash,ksh,dash,...
[ $# -lt 4 ] && echo "usage:$0 From To Subject msgfile" >&2 && exit 1
From="$1"
To="$2"
Subject="$3"
MsgFile="$4"
cat <<EOF | /usr/lib/sendmail  -i -t
To: $To
Subject : $Subject

$(cat $MsgFile)

EOF

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to send mail from server to client's email-id

i want to send email from server to the client's email-id. server is solaris. please help me out.i want to send mail to the email-id not to the var/spool/mail. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: parmeet
8 Replies

2. AIX

Command line/Script to send E-mail with HTML body and binary attachment

I apoligize for the cross-post but I'm not getting much in the way of help in the dummies forum: I'm trying to script sending an e-mail message on an AIX 5.x server with the following requirements: 1. command line switch to specify file name containing message body in HTML format 2. command... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: G-Man
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to send email after comparing the folder permissions to a certain permission & send email

Hello , I am trying to write a unix shell script to compare folder permission to say drwxr-x-wx and then send an email to my id in case the folders don't have the drwxr-x-wx permissions set for them . I have been trying to come up with a script for few days now , pls help me:( (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nairshar
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Configuring mail to send email from server to client

Hi, I want to send an email from server to my gmail account for all critical messages reported in the server. Kindly help me in configuring the same. Regards Rochit (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rochitsharma
1 Replies

5. Linux

Send email using mail

I need to send an email from linux using mail command. The problem is I can't hardcode the to: emailaddress, The email address is saved in a recipient.lst file on the server in this format: To: a@b.com Thanks a lot. il_labor (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: il_labor
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

Send email using mail

I need to send an email from linux using mail command. The problem is I can't hardcode the to: emailaddress, The email address is saved in a recipient.lst file on the server in this format: To: a@b.com Thanks a lot. il_labor (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: il_labor
1 Replies

7. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

[Template] Send SMTP email with Visual Basic Script (vbs) from Command Prompt using CDO

This is a script in visual basic that basically sends an email from an existing account, in this case the example is provided for live.com. It uses CDO (Collaboration Data Objects). All you need to do is replace the fields with the proper information. The email is send from Command Prompt... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tribe
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unable to send mail with 'mail' command

I am unable to cause the 'mail' command to send mail from my linux ubuntu 15.10 computer. File 'mail.log' typically reports Connection timed out. I issue the command: mail -s "my subject" recipient@domain.com < filenamewhere filename is a file containing my message. Specifically, the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tcnm
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use of java mail to send email from UNIX

Can someone help me to understand how to configure java mail on unix or what is syntex for that to put in script so email can be sent. earlier i was using 'send mail' to send email and not SMPT is stopped in unix machine and they asked us to use java mail. Before I was using this ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirwasim
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need command to capture word from shell script and send email

Hello Experts, Greeting to all of you. I have a requirement, that we have a shell script status.sh that check the status of server and server status shows as status.sh Enterprise Server - Running Admin Server - Shutdown Requirement is like whenever the output shows shutdown it should... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aks_1902
2 Replies
SMRSH(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  SMRSH(8)

NAME
smrsh - restricted shell for sendmail SYNOPSIS
smrsh -c command DESCRIPTION
The smrsh program is intended as a replacement for sh for use in the ``prog'' mailer in sendmail(8) configuration files. It sharply limits the commands that can be run using the ``|program'' syntax of sendmail in order to improve the over all security of your system. Briefly, even if a ``bad guy'' can get sendmail to run a program without going through an alias or forward file, smrsh limits the set of programs that he or she can execute. Briefly, smrsh limits programs to be in a single directory, by default /usr/lib/sendmail.d/bin/ allowing the system administrator to choose the set of acceptable commands, and to the shell builtin commands ``exec'', ``exit'', and ``echo''. It also rejects any commands with the characters ``', `<', `>', `;', `$', `(', `)', ` ' (carriage return), or ` ' (newline) on the command line to prevent ``end run'' attacks. It allows ``||'' and ``&&'' to enable commands like: ``"|exec /usr/local/bin/filter || exit 75"'' Initial pathnames on programs are stripped, so forwarding to ``/usr/bin/vacation'', ``/usr/bin/vacation'', ``/home/server/mydir/bin/vaca- tion'', and ``vacation'' all actually forward to `/usr/lib/sendmail.d/bin/vacation''. System administrators should be conservative about populating the /usr/lib/sendmail.d/bin/ directory. For example, a reasonable additions is vacation(1), and the like. No matter how brow-beaten you may be, never include any shell or shell-like program (such as perl(1)) in the /usr/lib/sendmail.d/bin/ directory. Note that this does not restrict the use of shell or perl scripts in the /usr/lib/sendmail.d/bin/ directory (using the ``#!'' syntax); it simply disallows execution of arbitrary programs. Also, including mail filtering programs such as procmail(1) is a very bad idea. procmail(1) allows users to run arbitrary programs in their procmailrc(5). COMPILATION
Compilation should be trivial on most systems. You may need to use -DSMRSH_PATH="path" to adjust the default search path (defaults to ``/bin:/usr/bin'') and/or -DSMRSH_CMDDIR="dir" to change the default program directory (defaults to ``/usr/lib/sendmail.d/bin/''). FILES
/usr/lib/sendmail.d/bin/ - default directory for restricted programs on SuSE Linux SEE ALSO
sendmail(8) $Date: 2004/08/06 03:55:35 $ SMRSH(8)