Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting find file older than one month not by x days olds Post 302578997 by jao_madn on Saturday 3rd of December 2011 05:08:52 PM
Old 12-03-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by agama
The -mtime flag on the find command refers to the last modification time of a file as it is examined. So, -mtime +30 will be true if the file's modification time is more than 30 days old. There is one subtle 'feature' that most people do not realise. Using n days means from the current time. So if the command is being run at noon local time, files will show up meeting the criteria based on noon, not a 24 hour clock starting at midnight.

When using find to identify files by age, I prefer to touch a file with a specific time stamp (see the touch man page for details). Then I run find to identify any files that are older than the given 'marker' file. This allows me to specify a specific date and not worry about current time or the number of days in the month if I want to delete based on month boundaries.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the responce..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find files older than 20 days & not use find

I need to find files that have the ending of .out and that are older than 20 days. However, I cannot use find as I do not want to search in the directories that are underneath the directory that I am searching in. How can this be done?? Find returns files that I do not want. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: halo98
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Find files older than x days and create a consolidated single tar file.

Hello, I need help in finding files older than x days and creating a single consolidated tar file combining them. Can anyone please provide me a script? Thanks, Dawn (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dawn Bosch
3 Replies

3. Red Hat

Find files older than 30 days in directories and delete them

Hi, I have dummies questions: My script here can find the files in any directories older than 30 days then it will delete the files but not the directories. I would like to also be able to delete the directories that hold old files more than 30 days not just the files itself. find . -type f... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamoul
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find files older than 30 days

Dear Friends, I have two queries. 1) I want to see the list of folders which were created 29 days ago. 2) I want to see the folders in which last created file is older than 29 days. Can it be done? Thank you in advance Anushree (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
4 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Find files older than 10 days

What command arguments I can use in unix to list files older than 10 days in my current directory, but I don't want to list the hidden files. find . -type f -mtime +15 -print will work but, it is listing all the hidden files., which I don't want. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

find files older than 30 days old

Hello, I have a script which finds files in a directory that are older than 30 days and remove them. The problem is that these files are too many and when i run this command: find * -mtime +30 | xargs rm I run this command inside the directory and it returns the error: /usr/bin/find:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: omonoiatis9
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I find files which are older than 30 days and greater than 1GB

Hi All, I know the separate commands for finding files greater than 30 days and finding files greater than 1GB. How do I combine these two commands? Meaning how do I find files which are > 1GB and older than 30 days? ;) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hangman2
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Find number of days in a month in mmddyyyy format?

Hi Guru's, I am working on a shell script from past a month and unable to get rid of automating while working with dates,here's what i have. inital_date=11012011 final_date=11302011 expected_output= has to be in below format PFB 11012011 11022011 11032011 * * * 11102011 * *... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gaurav198
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writte a script to copy the files older than 7 days using find and cp

Hi I'm trying to writte a script (crontab) to copy files from one location to another... this is what i have: find . -name "VPN_CALLRECORD_20130422*" | xargs cp "{}" /home/sysadm/patrick_temp/ but that is not working this is the ouput: cp: Target... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: patricio181
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find all log files under all file systems older than 2 days and zip them

Hi All, Problem Statement:Find all log files under all file systems older than 2 days and zip them. Find all zip files older than 3days and remove them. Also this has to be set under cron. I have a concerns here find . -mtime +2 -iname "*.log" -exec gzip {} Not sure if this will work as... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh.mishra
4 Replies
GMMKTIME(3)								 1							       GMMKTIME(3)

gmmktime - Get Unix timestamp for a GMT date

SYNOPSIS
int gmmktime ([int $hour = gmdate("H")], [int $minute = gmdate("i")], [int $second = gmdate("s")], [int $month = gmdate("n")], [int $day = gmdate("j")], [int $year = gmdate("Y")], [int $is_dst = -1]) DESCRIPTION
Identical to mktime(3) except the passed parameters represents a GMT date. gmmktime(3) internally uses mktime(3) so only times valid in derived local time can be used. Like mktime(3), arguments may be left out in order from right to left, with any omitted arguments being set to the current corresponding GMT value. PARAMETERS
o $hour - The number of the hour relative to the start of the day determined by $month, $day and $year. Negative values reference the hour before midnight of the day in question. Values greater than 23 reference the appropriate hour in the following day(s). o $minute - The number of the minute relative to the start of the $hour. Negative values reference the minute in the previous hour. Values greater than 59 reference the appropriate minute in the following hour(s). o $second - The number of seconds relative to the start of the $minute. Negative values reference the second in the previous minute. Values greater than 59 reference the appropriate second in the following minute(s). o $month - The number of the month relative to the end of the previous year. Values 1 to 12 reference the normal calendar months of the year in question. Values less than 1 (including negative values) reference the months in the previous year in reverse order, so 0 is December, -1 is November, etc. Values greater than 12 reference the appropriate month in the following year(s). o $day - The number of the day relative to the end of the previous month. Values 1 to 28, 29, 30 or 31 (depending upon the month) refer- ence the normal days in the relevant month. Values less than 1 (including negative values) reference the days in the previous month, so 0 is the last day of the previous month, -1 is the day before that, etc. Values greater than the number of days in the relevant month reference the appropriate day in the following month(s). o $year - The year o $is_dst - Parameters always represent a GMT date so $is_dst doesn't influence the result. Note This parameter has been removed in PHP 7.0.0. RETURN VALUES
Returns a integer Unix timestamp. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 7.0.0 | | | | | | | $is_dst parameter has been removed. | | | | | 5.1.0 | | | | | | | As of PHP 5.1.0, the $is_dst parameter became | | | deprecated. As a result, the new timezone han- | | | dling features should be used instead. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 gmmktime(3) basic example <?php // Prints: July 1, 2000 is on a Saturday echo "July 1, 2000 is on a " . date("l", gmmktime(0, 0, 0, 7, 1, 2000)); ?> SEE ALSO
mktime(3), date(3), time(3). PHP Documentation Group GMMKTIME(3)