Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Emergency UNIX and Linux Support bitwise and between two 32 bit binaries Post 302578869 by Corona688 on Friday 2nd of December 2011 03:59:38 PM
Old 12-02-2011
He never said otherwise, even though bash was suggested over and over. People can be surprisingly reluctant to disclose their shell. It can take 2-3 tries to get a better answer than "bourne".

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Bit-fields and Bitwise operators

Hi, Is it possible to use bitwise operators in bit fields? For example: typedef struct Mystruct { unsigned char A :1 ; unsigned char B :1 ; } Mystruct; and assume struct Mystruct STR_1S, STR_2S, tempSTRS = {0}; then the following line: tempSTRS = STR_1S & STR_2S; gives the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amatsaka
3 Replies

2. Programming

copying or concatinating string from 1st bit, leaving 0th bit

Hello, If i have 2 strings str1 and str2, i would like to copy/concatenate str2 to str1, from 1st bit leaving the 0th bit. How do i do it? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jazz
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

bitwise operators

can anybody write a program to divide a number by another number using bitwise operators (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: areef4u
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bitwise negation

I am taking an online course on Unix scripting. The topic is Unix arithmetic operators and the lesson is Logical and bitwise operations. It is not clear how much storage space Unix uses to represent integers that are typed. Bitwise negation caused me to question how many bits are used to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dLloydm
3 Replies

5. Programming

bitwise and if

Hi Suppose we have these code lines: #define _IN_USE 0x001 /* set when process slot is in use */ #define _EXITING 0x002 /* set when exit is expected */ #define _REFRESHING 0x004 ... 1 main () { 2 3 unsigned r_flags =_REFRESHING; 4 5 if (r_flag &... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Puntino
3 Replies

6. FAQ Submission Queue

Analysis in bitwise XOR

The purpose of this article is revealing the unrevealed parts of the bitwise XOR. As we aware, the truth table for the XOR operator is : A B A^B 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 For example , 1^2 will be calculated as given below: First the operands... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to use bitwise or operator in /bin/sh

please any one can suggest me how to use bitesie || opearator to do this #initallize a=0 b=0 #condition if then a=0 else a=1 fi #bitwise or opeartion b = a || b Please view this code tag video for how to use code tags when posting code and data. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Palaniappan
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bitwise comparison of cols

Hello, I want to compute the bitwise number of matches in pairwise fashion for all columns. The problem is I have 18486955 rows and 750 columns. Please help with code, I believe this will take a lot of time, is there a way of tracking progress? Input Org1 Org2 Org3 A A T A ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ritakadm
9 Replies
integer(3pm)                                             Perl Programmers Reference Guide                                             integer(3pm)

NAME
integer - Perl pragma to use integer arithmetic instead of floating point SYNOPSIS
use integer; $x = 10/3; # $x is now 3, not 3.33333333333333333 DESCRIPTION
This tells the compiler to use integer operations from here to the end of the enclosing BLOCK. On many machines, this doesn't matter a great deal for most computations, but on those without floating point hardware, it can make a big difference in performance. Note that this only affects how most of the arithmetic and relational operators handle their operands and results, and not how all numbers everywhere are treated. Specifically, "use integer;" has the effect that before computing the results of the arithmetic operators (+, -, *, /, %, +=, -=, *=, /=, %=, and unary minus), the comparison operators (<, <=, >, >=, ==, !=, <=>), and the bitwise operators (|, &, ^, <<, >>, |=, &=, ^=, <<=, >>=), the operands have their fractional portions truncated (or floored), and the result will have its fractional portion truncated as well. In addition, the range of operands and results is restricted to that of familiar two's complement integers, i.e., -(2**31) .. (2**31-1) on 32-bit architectures, and -(2**63) .. (2**63-1) on 64-bit architectures. For example, this code use integer; $x = 5.8; $y = 2.5; $z = 2.7; $a = 2**31 - 1; # Largest positive integer on 32-bit machines $, = ", "; print $x, -$x, $x + $y, $x - $y, $x / $y, $x * $y, $y == $z, $a, $a + 1; will print: 5.8, -5, 7, 3, 2, 10, 1, 2147483647, -2147483648 Note that $x is still printed as having its true non-integer value of 5.8 since it wasn't operated on. And note too the wrap-around from the largest positive integer to the largest negative one. Also, arguments passed to functions and the values returned by them are not affected by "use integer;". E.g., srand(1.5); $, = ", "; print sin(.5), cos(.5), atan2(1,2), sqrt(2), rand(10); will give the same result with or without "use integer;" The power operator "**" is also not affected, so that 2 ** .5 is always the square root of 2. Now, it so happens that the pre- and post- increment and decrement operators, ++ and --, are not affected by "use integer;" either. Some may rightly consider this to be a bug -- but at least it's a long-standing one. Finally, "use integer;" also has an additional affect on the bitwise operators. Normally, the operands and results are treated as unsigned integers, but with "use integer;" the operands and results are signed. This means, among other things, that ~0 is -1, and -2 & -5 is -6. Internally, native integer arithmetic (as provided by your C compiler) is used. This means that Perl's own semantics for arithmetic operations may not be preserved. One common source of trouble is the modulus of negative numbers, which Perl does one way, but your hardware may do another. % perl -le 'print (4 % -3)' -2 % perl -Minteger -le 'print (4 % -3)' 1 See "Pragmatic Modules" in perlmodlib, "Integer Arithmetic" in perlop perl v5.12.1 2010-04-26 integer(3pm)