Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem with positional variables in BASH Post 302578821 by jim mcnamara on Friday 2nd of December 2011 11:33:29 AM
Old 12-02-2011
For anyone reading Corona's code and not knowing bash's
Code:
${!pattern}

:
${!N} uses the ! pattern matching operator that expands to any variable with the
same name as the value of the variable, in this case N is 2. So, it finds all environment variables with the name "2", or $2.
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to jim mcnamara For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK: replace single positional character given variables

I already have accomplished this task using sed and arrays, but since I get the variable using awk, I figured I'd ask this question and maybe I can get a cleaner solution using strictly awk.. I just can't quite grasp it in awk. Story: I'm automating the (re)configuration of network interfaces,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Shock
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting "default" positional parameters (in bash)

Hi, I have a script that processes the positional parameters provided on the command line, or - if none are provided - uses some defaults instead. I've currently got it written as follows, which works like a charm, but I was wondering if there is a different/other/better/... way of doing... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pvdb
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem using variables in bash script

I am using variable to give the location of the file I am using but I get error. Here is the code: LogFile=/tmp/log.email echo -e "could not close the service - error number $error \n" > $LogFile well this is not all the code but is enough because the problem start when I try to use the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: programAngel
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variables problem - Bash

I have a following problem: #!/bin/bash NUM=`cat accounts | wc -l`; for i in {1..$NUM} do account=`awk "NR==$i" accounts`; echo -e "\nAccount: $account\n"; sudo ./backup_maildir $account; done "accounts" is a file with regular e-mail addresses, one in each line.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobanpetrovic
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Positional Parameters Question

In a Bash script I used getopts command to let a user does something regards to the selected options. The question is: How do you find out what is the name of the file that user inserted in the command line like the following: The good part is this file is always the last argument in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bashily
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print Positional variables

Hi, I have to use the vaious kind of filters based on various fields in the input file like - count occurence of cases where "TRK-GRP" = 169 or like "ADDR-DIG" = 80080. I don;t know the positional variable for all below fields. Please help. Input File : +++ BEST 12-05-27 15:06:49 MDI 3478... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanand420
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to call a bash script with positional parameters?

Hi, I have a script which will be executed using the below command, bin/nutch crawl urls -dir /data/test/ bin/nutch - Script file crawl, urls, /data/test/ - Parameters -dir - Option The above script should executed from a shell script named test.sh. I have the below code to execute... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with variables and bash script

From the command line: dions-air:scripts dion$ ls -l /Users/dion/Library/Application\ Support/Garmin/Devices/3816821036/History/2014-06-07-055251.TCX -rw-r--r-- 1 dion staff 157934 7 Jun 06:55 /Users/dion/Library/Application Support/Garmin/Devices/3816821036/History/2014-06-07-055251.TCXworks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dionbl
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing awk variables to bash variables

Trying to do so echo "111:222:333" |awk -F: '{system("export TESTO=" $2)}'But it doesn't work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Positional Parameters Arguments/Variables when using dot (.)

Hi, Is there a special positional variables for when using the dot (.)? Scripts are as below: $: head -100 x.ksh /tmp/y.ksh ==> x.ksh <== #!/bin/ksh # . /tmp/y.ksh 1234 abcd echo "yvar1 = $yvar1" echo "yvar2 = $yvar2" ==> /tmp/y.ksh <== #!/bin/ksh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies
Tcl_StringMatch(3)					      Tcl Library Procedures						Tcl_StringMatch(3)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tcl_StringMatch, Tcl_StringCaseMatch - test whether a string matches a pattern SYNOPSIS
#include <tcl.h> int Tcl_StringMatch(str, pattern) int Tcl_StringCaseMatch(str, pattern, flags) ARGUMENTS
const char *str (in) String to test. const char *pattern (in) Pattern to match against string. May contain special characters from the set *?[]. int flags (in) OR-ed combination of match flags, currently only TCL_MATCH_NOCASE. 0 specifies a case-sensitive search. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This utility procedure determines whether a string matches a given pattern. If it does, then Tcl_StringMatch returns 1. Otherwise Tcl_StringMatch returns 0. The algorithm used for matching is the same algorithm used in the string match Tcl command and is similar to the algorithm used by the C-shell for file name matching; see the Tcl manual entry for details. In Tcl_StringCaseMatch, the algorithm is the same, but you have the option to make the matching case-insensitive. If you choose this (by passing TCL_MATCH_NOCASE), then the string and pattern are essentially matched in the lower case. KEYWORDS
match, pattern, string Tcl 8.5 Tcl_StringMatch(3)