Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem with positional variables in BASH Post 302578817 by timmyyyyy on Friday 2nd of December 2011 11:24:19 AM
Old 12-02-2011
Thanks for the replies; I'll try the ideas tonight..
With arrays it's doable (I thought of that too), but it complicates the code since I only need to do it for 2 parameters. I didn't know about eval, but in any case Coronas' seems to be the most simple, so is this code correct like this?

Code:
y=$[2+$i]
myval="${!y}"

..or do I need a $ for y? like :
Code:
myval="${!$y}"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK: replace single positional character given variables

I already have accomplished this task using sed and arrays, but since I get the variable using awk, I figured I'd ask this question and maybe I can get a cleaner solution using strictly awk.. I just can't quite grasp it in awk. Story: I'm automating the (re)configuration of network interfaces,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Shock
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting "default" positional parameters (in bash)

Hi, I have a script that processes the positional parameters provided on the command line, or - if none are provided - uses some defaults instead. I've currently got it written as follows, which works like a charm, but I was wondering if there is a different/other/better/... way of doing... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pvdb
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem using variables in bash script

I am using variable to give the location of the file I am using but I get error. Here is the code: LogFile=/tmp/log.email echo -e "could not close the service - error number $error \n" > $LogFile well this is not all the code but is enough because the problem start when I try to use the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: programAngel
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variables problem - Bash

I have a following problem: #!/bin/bash NUM=`cat accounts | wc -l`; for i in {1..$NUM} do account=`awk "NR==$i" accounts`; echo -e "\nAccount: $account\n"; sudo ./backup_maildir $account; done "accounts" is a file with regular e-mail addresses, one in each line.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobanpetrovic
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Positional Parameters Question

In a Bash script I used getopts command to let a user does something regards to the selected options. The question is: How do you find out what is the name of the file that user inserted in the command line like the following: The good part is this file is always the last argument in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bashily
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print Positional variables

Hi, I have to use the vaious kind of filters based on various fields in the input file like - count occurence of cases where "TRK-GRP" = 169 or like "ADDR-DIG" = 80080. I don;t know the positional variable for all below fields. Please help. Input File : +++ BEST 12-05-27 15:06:49 MDI 3478... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanand420
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to call a bash script with positional parameters?

Hi, I have a script which will be executed using the below command, bin/nutch crawl urls -dir /data/test/ bin/nutch - Script file crawl, urls, /data/test/ - Parameters -dir - Option The above script should executed from a shell script named test.sh. I have the below code to execute... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with variables and bash script

From the command line: dions-air:scripts dion$ ls -l /Users/dion/Library/Application\ Support/Garmin/Devices/3816821036/History/2014-06-07-055251.TCX -rw-r--r-- 1 dion staff 157934 7 Jun 06:55 /Users/dion/Library/Application Support/Garmin/Devices/3816821036/History/2014-06-07-055251.TCXworks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dionbl
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing awk variables to bash variables

Trying to do so echo "111:222:333" |awk -F: '{system("export TESTO=" $2)}'But it doesn't work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Positional Parameters Arguments/Variables when using dot (.)

Hi, Is there a special positional variables for when using the dot (.)? Scripts are as below: $: head -100 x.ksh /tmp/y.ksh ==> x.ksh <== #!/bin/ksh # . /tmp/y.ksh 1234 abcd echo "yvar1 = $yvar1" echo "yvar2 = $yvar2" ==> /tmp/y.ksh <== #!/bin/ksh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies
shift(1)							   User Commands							  shift(1)

NAME
shift - shell built-in function to traverse either a shell's argument list or a list of field-separated words SYNOPSIS
sh shift [n] csh shift [variable] ksh * shift [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The positional parameters from $n+1 ... are renamed $1 ... . If n is not given, it is assumed to be 1. csh The components of argv, or variable, if supplied, are shifted to the left, discarding the first component. It is an error for the variable not to be set or to have a null value. ksh The positional parameters from $n+1 $n+1 ... are renamed $1 ..., default n is 1. The parameter n can be any arithmetic expression that evaluates to a non-negative number less than or equal to $#. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 shift(1)