Sponsored Content
Special Forums Cybersecurity Choosing the right distro, Locked down from within. Post 302578551 by artranc3 on Thursday 1st of December 2011 11:38:46 PM
Old 12-02-2011
Choosing the right distro, Locked down from within.

I'm looking to put a box at a client site which will be connected to the client's home router for internet.

That box will have remote access software on it and will have untrustworthy contractors logging in and using the browser. So, I'm looking for a distro that would be LOCKED DOWN to the max from the user side.

Regardless of the distro I'm planning on blocking all possible applications, (especially the terminal) leaving only the browser accessible. Blocking all the ports and all the domains aside from the 2 that the user/contractor should access. The user will have non-admin privileges of course.

So, taking all that into consideration, is there a distro that somehow facilitates being locked down from within, to minimize the possible attack surface?

That's a home network we're talking about, so I'm considering security VERY seriously.
Can the security even be guaranteed to a certain extent with this setup, should I even go ahead with this project?

Any and all other possible security tweaks are definitely welcome, I'm a newbie so everything and all is new to me.

Guys, your thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Thank you beforehand!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Choosing Java or C++

Listen, if you know a bit of programming in C and need to program unix-type operating systems the next transitive stage is for sure C++. However, have in mind that Java is like learning C but 99% object-oriented(o.o.) and with no pointers or memory-management tricks. It would be good for you to see... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SolidSnake
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Choosing a version

I know that the rules say no school questions but I am in advanced topics and am going to go to college for programming and I want to find a easy first OS to start me out, please help, thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: KoKo
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I need help choosing a linux.

There are soo many flavors of linux and i just cant choose/find the right linux for me... I am hopeing for a linux that is a Workhorse Can fit of a seires (or 1) disk(s) Lots of features (admin/mod features) A learning mode or a detailed tutorial Can work side by side with windows... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: lithuaniaakid
12 Replies

4. Linux

Choosing the best distro.

Hi all Help me find the best distro for the following configurations: Intel pentium IV 1.6 Ghz 128 MB RAM :( 40 GB Hardisk with one very big partition more than 35 gb n another 2 gb partition. windows xp is already installed but has enough free space (26gb). Which linux will be... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbala
0 Replies

5. Slackware

Help for choosing Slackware

Dear Friends, If I use Slackware for learning whether it will make any confusion in administering/using Redhat and SuSE since I have checked slackware is more like BSD. Thank you. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tlogine
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

choosing executable depending on distro

Hi, I have an application in 2 different directories, one is for OpenSuSE and the other for CentOS. I wrote a script which chooses the right executable for the distribution. But it does not work. ------------------- #!/bin/bash if then ( DN="/home/apps/applicationXY/Version3.1" )... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: serverjunge
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamically choosing the interpreter

Hi, Is it possible to choose the inerpreter conditionally. For example, if whereis bash returns /usr/bin/bash then i need to choose #!/usr/bin/bash else i need to use #!/usr/bin/sh. Is it possible to achieve in a shell script? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
1 Replies

8. Linux

Choosing a UNIX

i have a project in numerical calculus in c language what unix i get better for this? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gitac
7 Replies

9. Linux

Help choosing distro

Hi, I just ordered an Skylake NUC and will run Linux on it. My distro of choice has been Ubuntu but I am fed up with the release cycle and would like more of a rolling release. I would say I am an intermediate level Linux user. It's going to be a HTPC, I want to have the latest kernels... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rthorntn
0 Replies
glutButtonBoxFunc(3GLUT)					       GLUT						  glutButtonBoxFunc(3GLUT)

NAME
glutButtonBoxFunc - sets the dial & button box button callback for the current window. SYNTAX
void glutButtonBoxFunc(void (*func)(int button, int state)); ARGUMENTS
func The new button box callback function. DESCRIPTION
glutButtonBoxFunc sets the dial & button box button callback for the current window. The dial & button box button callback for a window is called when the window has dial & button box input focus (normally, when the mouse is in the window) and the user generates dial & button box button presses. The button parameter will be the button number (starting at one). The number of available dial & button box buttons can be determined with glutDeviceGet(GLUT_NUM_BUTTON_BOX_BUTTONS). The state is either GLUT_UP or GLUT_DOWN indicating whether the callback was due to a release or press respectively. Registering a dial & button box button callback when a dial & button box device is not available is ineffectual and not an error. In this case, no dial & button box button callbacks will be generated. Passing NULL to glutButtonBoxFunc disables the generation of dial & button box button callbacks. When a new window is created, no dial & button box button callback is initially registered. SEE ALSO
glutDialsFunc, glutDeviceGet, glutSpaceballButtonFunc, glutTabletButtonFunc AUTHOR
Mark J. Kilgard (mjk@nvidia.com) GLUT
3.7 glutButtonBoxFunc(3GLUT)