Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting evaluating a variable inside a variable Post 302578430 by rethink on Thursday 1st of December 2011 12:35:24 PM
Old 12-01-2011
evaluating a variable inside a variable

Hi there, i think im getting myself a little confused and need some help Smilie

I am reading in a bunch of variables to my script from an external file and need to validate that a value has been set for each

so if you can imagine, the user is required to pass in 4 values username,password,uid and gid. these get set to

$USER
$PASS
$UID
$GID

now this is fine, however I want to write a little loop that tests for its existence and echos an error if its not set. I appreciate I can do this as individual lines, but in reality there are more than 4 variables, there are hundreds, so id like to do it in a loop

so the idea being something like

Code:

for i in "USER PASS UID GID"; do
      if [ -z "$i" ] ; then
           echo $you have not entered a value for $i"
           exit 1
      fi
done

now i realise that this wont work because when $i is expanded it is just a string and not another varuable, but ive tried
Code:

if [ -z "${$i}" ] ; then

and
Code:

if [ -z "$${i}" ] ; then

etc

would I need to use 'eval' and if so, can someone give me an example of how i would do this?

any help would be greatly appreciated

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh: A part of variable A's name is inside of variable B, how to update A?

This is what I tried: vara=${varb}_count (( vara += 1 )) Thanks for help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pa3be
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace variable inside the variable

hi sir, i need your help for this script inside /rnmucdr/ednms05/ken/xMNBDF045_Script.sql content variable like this select * from invoice where bill_date=$BILLDATE and startNum=$STARTPARTNNUM and total_partn=$TOTALPARTN if i just paste this replace with the $SCRIPT it works great,if... (31 Replies)
Discussion started by: mani_um
31 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passing a variable inside a variable to a function

I would like to know how to pass a variable inside a variable to a function. sample code below -------------- for x in 1 9 do check_null $C$x ##call function to check if the value is null if then echo "line number:$var_cnt,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: KingVikram
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash: evaluating $? variable (if statement)

Hello, i'm unable to write a correct if... statement to evaluate the $? variable. Could anybody send to me an example? for example, this lines of code didn't work... if ; then etc etc if ; then etc etc Thank you in advanced. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aristegui
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

K Shell evaluating value to a variable

Hi, I have the following requirement. V="First" R="V" echo $$R The output should be First. How do i achieve this. how do we evaluate the $R and evaluate it to $V as $R contains V and $V is First. Thanks Vijay (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaykrc
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing a variable inside another variable.

Any help would be great. I know this is a dumb way of doing this, but I would like to know if there is a solution doing it this way. I'm very new at this and I'd like to learn more. Thanks! :D:D count=0 while ; do echo "enter your name" read name_$count let count=count+1 done ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: reconflux
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable inside variable inside loop headache

Hi Gurus I have a file called /tmp/CMDB which looks like this serial: 0623AN1208 hostname: server1 model: x4100 assetID: 1234 I am writing a for loop that will go through this file line by line creating a variable of itself. Using the first iteration of the loop (i.e. the first line) as... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Evaluating a variable

Does anyone know of a way to force a variable name held in another variable to return the value of the first variable? Best if I give an example, that does not work: /usr/local/bin >cat mike.sh NUM1ref=16 NUM2ref=32 echo "==============" for VAR in NUM1 NUM2 do XXXX=${VAR}ref echo $XXXX... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikejordan
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to store command inside a shell variable, and run the variable

Hi, I am trying to do the following thing var='date' $var Above command substitutes date for and in turn runs the date command and i am getting the todays date value. I am trying to do the same thing as following, but facing some problems, unique_host_pro="sed -e ' /#/d'... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvinayagam
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

To print value for a $variable inside a $variable or file

Hi guys, I have a file "abc.dat" in below format: FILE_PATH||||$F_PATH TABLE_LIST||||a|b|c SYST_NM||||${SRC_SYST} Now I am trying to read the above file and want to print the value for above dollar variables F_PATH and SRC_SYST. The problem is it's reading the dollar variables as... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: abcabc1103
5 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)