Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: fstab question
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu fstab question Post 302578315 by stumpyuk on Thursday 1st of December 2011 10:00:24 AM
Old 12-01-2011
fstab question

I have created a thumbdrive with a bootable version of Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, it uses Grub legacy.

One of the issues I have is that everytime I boot a new system from the thumbdrive, it writes entries for the partitions in the fstab. Consequently, when I boot another system, the OS reads the fstab and tries to mount partitions that don't exist on the new system. I can simply manually edit the fstab before I shutdown the system, but want to automate this. I have looked at startup and shutdown scripts but they appear to be stopping and starting services. So my questions are:
Is a shutdown script the most appropriate way to re-write the fstab on shutdown?
If not, what is the most appropriate way and how should I implement it?

TIA

Stumpy

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

/etc/fstab

I've created a new drive and i've added it to my fstab file but on startup it will not mount. here is how i put it into my fstab file, is that right? /dev/hdb2 /disk2a ext3 defaults 1 2 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: byblyk
6 Replies

2. HP-UX

bdf , /etc/fstab , /etc/mnttab

Hi all, Would like to know if it is possible to rearrange the order that mounts are displayed when the 'bdf' command is issued. An example of what I mean is, currently I see the following ... $ bdf -l Filesystem kbytes used avail %used Mounted on /dev/vg00/lvol3 524288 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cameron
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fstab question

Folks; Please be patient with this issue when you read it. I know it's a little tricky. I have a new share created on my SUSE 10 box. I'm trying to edit the /etc/fstab file or find a way to make this share needs no authentication. The reason for that is we're using an outside application to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Katkota
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FSTAB Problem

Hello, I transferred a machine from a tape back into a virtual machine. I created several paritions so I could xfter the date into them and made sda1 the active one. When I try and boot the VM it does not work. I used KNOPPIX to create the partitions and transfer the information from the tape... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

Using a variable in fstab

We have a load of servers which require cloning in VMWare, each of which have their own area on netapp for storage. I was trying to be a bit clever and use a variable within /etc/fstab so I dont need to edit it every time like so; netapp:/vol/vol_nfs_server/servers/`hostname | sed 's/\./ /g' |... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JayC89
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fstab

hi , i'm creating a shell script using fstab for my project of last year, i wonder you can help me to know what is the command allow me to get the list of unmounted partitions. thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux001
4 Replies

7. Red Hat

Mount /etc/fstab

Can you please help me mount below filesystem in fstab ( I have rhel 5 ) as the line is long - it is not taking as single line How can break this in 2 line and act as one ....please help ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh84g
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mount/fstab Question . . .

Greetings! Got another basic question for the community :) After wiping a drive with dd, and calling mkfs.ext4 to set things up again, fstab seems to need to be refreshed somehow to allow a call to mount for the volume. What might the "secret handshake" be to pull this off without first... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinQ
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/etc/fstab mount issue

I have a virtual machine with Redhat installed . I am trying to link CD/DVD Drive 1 to /media/cdrom1 and CD/DVD Drive 0 to /media/cdrom0 I tried making these changed in /etc/fstab by adding the below line to it /dev/sr0 /media/cdrom0 iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: walterthered
2 Replies

10. Linux

/etc/fstab entries

Hi, Can anyone explain why we use defaults 0 0 in fstab and what does 0 inidicate 10.250.104.50:/home/u /home/u nfs defaults 0 0 Thanks in advance Muzaffar (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: muzaffar.k
3 Replies
SYNCPACKAGE(1)						      General Commands Manual						    SYNCPACKAGE(1)

NAME
syncpackage - copy source packages from Debian to Ubuntu SYNOPSIS
syncpackage [options] <.dsc URL/path or package name> DESCRIPTION
syncpackage causes a source package to be copied from Debian to Ubuntu. syncpackage allows you to upload files with the same checksums of the Debian ones, as the common script used by Ubuntu archive administra- tors does, this way you can preserve source files integrity between the two distributions. syncpackage will detect source tarballs with mismatching checksums, and can perform fake syncs. WARNING
The use of syncpackage --no-lp, which generates a changes file to be directly uploaded to the Ubuntu primary archive or a PPA, is discour- aged by the Ubuntu Archive Administrators, as it introduces an unnecessary window for error. This only exists for backward compatibility, for unusual corner cases (such as fakesyncs), and for uploads to archives other than the Ubuntu primary archive. Omitting this option will cause Launchpad to perform the sync request directly, which is the preferred method for uploads to the Ubuntu primary archive. OPTIONS
-h, --help Show help message and exit -d DIST, --distribution=DIST Debian distribution to sync from. Default is testing during LTS cycles, and unstable otherwise. -r RELEASE, --release=RELEASE Specify target Ubuntu release. Default: current development release. -V DEBVERSION, --debian-version=DEBVERSION Specify the version to sync from. -c COMPONENT, --component=COMPONENT Specify the component to sync from. -b BUG, --bug=BUG Mark a Launchpad bug as being fixed by this upload. -s USERNAME, --sponsor=USERNAME Sponsor the sync for USERNAME (a Launchpad username). -v, --verbose Display more progress information. -F, --fakesync Perform a fakesync, to work around a tarball mismatch between Debian and Ubuntu. This option ignores blacklisting, and performs a local sync. It implies --no-lp, and will leave a signed .changes file for you to upload. -f, --force Force sync over the top of Ubuntu changes. --no-conf Do not read any configuration files, or configuration from environment variables. -l INSTANCE, --lpinstance=INSTANCE Launchpad instance to connect to (default: production). --simulate Show what would be done, but don't actually do it. LOCAL SYNC PREPARATION OPTIONS
Options that only apply when using --no-lp: --no-lp Construct sync locally, rather than letting Launchpad copy the package directly. It will leave a signed .changes file for you to upload. See the WARNING above. -n UPLOADER_NAME, --uploader-name=UPLOADER_NAME Use UPLOADER_NAME as the name of the maintainer for this upload instead of evaluating DEBFULLNAME and UBUMAIL. This option may only be used in --no-lp mode. -e UPLOADER_EMAIL, --uploader-email=UPLOADER_EMAIL Use UPLOADER_EMAIL as the email address of the maintainer for this upload instead of evaluating DEBEMAIL and UBUMAIL. This option may only be used in --no-lp mode. -k KEYID, --key=KEYID Specify the key ID to be used for signing. --dont-sign Do not sign the upload. -d DEBIAN_MIRROR, --debian-mirror=DEBIAN_MIRROR Use the specified mirror. Should be in the form http://ftp.debian.org/debian. If the package isn't found on this mirror, syncpack- age will fall back to the default mirror. -s UBUNTU_MIRROR, --debsec-mirror=UBUNTU_MIRROR Use the specified Debian security mirror. Should be in the form http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu. If the package isn't found on this mirror, syncpackage will fall back to the default mirror. ENVIRONMENT
DEBFULLNAME, DEBEMAIL, UBUMAIL Used to determine the uploader (if not supplied as options). See ubuntu-dev-tools(5) for details. All of the CONFIGURATION VARIABLES below are also supported as environment variables. Variables in the environment take precedence to those in configuration files. CONFIGURATION VARIABLES
The following variables can be set in the environment or in ubuntu-dev-tools(5) configuration files. In each case, the script-specific variable takes precedence over the package-wide variable. SYNCPACKAGE_DEBIAN_MIRROR, UBUNTUTOOLS_DEBIAN_MIRROR The default value for --debian-mirror. SYNCPACKAGE_UBUNTU_MIRROR, UBUNTUTOOLS_DEBSEC_MIRROR The default value for --ubuntu-mirror. SYNCPACKAGE_KEYID, UBUNTUTOOLS_KEYID The default value for --key. SEE ALSO
requestsync(1), ubuntu-dev-tools(5) AUTHOR
syncpackage was written by Martin Pitt <martin.pitt@canonical.com> and Benjamin Drung <bdrung@ubuntu.com>. This manual page were written by Luca Falavigna <dktrkranz@ubuntu.com> Both are released under GNU General Public License, version 3. ubuntu-dev-tools June 2010 SYNCPACKAGE(1)