Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: [Solved] Last Login Log
Operating Systems Linux SuSE [Solved] Last Login Log Post 302578116 by hedkandi on Wednesday 30th of November 2011 10:28:37 PM
Old 11-30-2011
I got the solution from perl forum, click on this link for the help I had

This is the documentated perl script for wtmp logs parsed for logwatch monitoring:

Code:
1. Download the logwatch tar file from the internet. The latest running version is logwatch-7.4.0

2. Look here for the version-------------http://sourceforge.net/projects/logwatch/files/

3. Look here for developer details---http://logwatch.isoc.lu/tabs/docs/index.html

4. Download and store the tarball into your /tmp directory

5. Unzip, untar and cd into the folder

gunzip logwatch-7.4.0.tar.gz

untar -xvf logwatch-7.4.0.tar

cd logwatch-7.4.0

6. Create these directories and soft links:

mkdir /etc/logwatch
mkdir /etc/logwatch/scripts
mkdir /etc/logwatch/conf
mkdir /etc/logwatch/conf/logfiles
mkdir /etc/logwatch/conf/services
touch /etc/logwatch/conf/logwatch.conf
touch /etc/logwatch/conf/ignore.conf
touch /etc/logwatch/conf/override.conf

mkdir /usr/share/logwatch
mkdir /usr/share/logwatch/dist.conf
mkdir /usr/share/logwatch/dist.conf/logfiles
mkdir /usr/share/logwatch/dist.conf/services

mv conf/ /usr/share/logwatch/default.conf
mv scripts/ /usr/share/logwatch/scripts
mv lib /usr/share/logwatch/lib

mkdir /var/cache/logwatch
ln -s /usr/share/logwatch/scripts/logwatch.pl /etc/cron.daily/0logwatch
ln -s /usr/share/logwatch/scripts/logwatch.pl /usr/sbin/logwatch

7. Backup and edit the config file accordingly

/usr/share/logwatch/default.conf/logwatch.conf

##to edit html format, edit these lines in the config file stated above

#Output/Format Options
#By default Logwatch will print to stdout in text with no encoding.
#To make email Default set Output = mail to save to file set Output = file
#Output = stdout
Output = mail
#To make Html the default formatting Format = html
Format = html

##to edit the email recipients, edit this line, separate multiple recipients with space

# Default person to mail reports to.  Can be a local account or a
# complete email address.  Variable Output should be set to mail, or
# --output mail should be passed on command line to enable mail feature.
MailTo = Priti.Patel@xxx.com.my onepatel@xxx.com

8. to add wtmp logs into monitoring you need to define 3 things: 

8.1  /usr/share/logwatch/scripts/services >>> this is where the script/work will be done

my-mnag0:/etc/logwatch/conf/logfiles # more /usr/share/logwatch/scripts/services/my-report
#!/usr/bin/perl
@type = (
    "Empty", "Run Lvl", "Boot", "New Time", "Old Time", "Init",
    "Login", "Normal",  "Term", "Account"
);
$recs = "";
while (<>) {
    $recs .= $_;
}
foreach ( split( /(.{384})/s, $recs ) ) {
    next if length($_) == 0 ;
    my ( $type, $pid, $line, $inittab, $user, $host, $t1, $t2, $t3, $t4, $t5 ) =
      $_ =~ /(.{4})(.{4})(.{32})(.{4})(.{32})(.{256})(.{4})(.{4})(.{4})(.{4})(.{4})/s;
    if ( defined $line && $line =~ /\w/ ) {
        $line =~ s/\
x00+//g;
        $host =~ s/\x00+//g;
        $user =~ s/\x00+//g;
        printf(
            "%s %-8s %-12s %10s %-45s \n",
            scalar( gmtime( unpack( "I4", $t3 ) ) ),
            $type[
              unpack( "
I4", $type )
            ],
            $user,
            $line,
            $host
        );
    }
}
printf "\n" 

8.2  /usr/share/logwatch/default.conf/services >>> this is where you define the services/config options of your script above

my-mnag0:/etc/logwatch/conf/logfiles # more /usr/share/logwatch/default.conf/services/my-report.conf
Title = "WTMP logs"
Logfile = wtmp

8.3  /etc/logwatch/conf/logfiles >>> this is where the log files will be parsed

my-mnag0:/etc/logwatch/conf/logfiles # more /etc/logwatch/conf/logfiles/wtmp.conf
#Define log file group for wtmp log

Logfile = /var/log/wtmp

The reason the wtmp and wtmp.conf is in red is because both names must be same. different names will call different logs/generate error

You can close this thread now...Smilie

Last edited by hedkandi; 12-02-2011 at 12:10 AM.. Reason: edited email addresses
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to hedkandi For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is there a Login Log?

I know I can use the who and finger commands to see what users are currently logged in. Is there a log to show when a user last logged in & out? Or a way to see users that logged in & out on a specific date? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dave Miller
2 Replies

2. Solaris

[Solved] Solaris 10 - Ftp Login incorrect

Hey everyone, I am trying to get a 2GB patch cluster FTP'd to a solaris 10 server. I have tried logging in via ftp, and both with root as well as my personal account, I get "Login Incorrect." I have verified that I can log in using telnet. -bash-3.00$ netstat -a |grep ftp *.ftp ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: msarro
10 Replies

3. Solaris

[Solved] How to change my default login mode????

Hi guys, I have just installed Solaris 10 x86. My system boots into graphical login by default, I want to have text login only, where can I change that. I tried to use the linux and bsd concept of editing /etc/inittab, and change the default value to 3, but that doesn't work in Solaris. Please... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabam
6 Replies

4. HP-UX

[Solved] root cannot login

Dear all, cannot login to a HP unix server using root as well as other logins. Even root also cannot enter. It seems that they have changed some permissions in / Any way of recovering the system or getting logged in . Thanks in advance Rj (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

login profile[solved]

i vi .profile Set DATE `date +%m%d%Y%H%M`, but after logout/login, echo $DATE, it shows: Fri Mar 23 15:01:53 EDT 2012, i want to show: 032320121501 please ignore. vi /etc/profile, and export DATE=`date +%m%d%Y%H%M`, worked fine now. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lawsongeek
0 Replies

6. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

[SOLVED] matrixmadhan - login problem

Hi, This is user : matrixmadhan. Am unable to login despite repeated attempts. I tried recovering via forgot password, but neither of the email ids I gave isnt being recognized. Is there a way I could get some help? Thanks, -matrixmadhan (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Unregistered
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Do not want to print sftp commands in log

Hi, While running my ksh file, I require the logs to be written to another file. For this I use the below code: write_log() { echo `date +"%d %h, %Y %H:%M:%S"` " : " $* >> ${LOG_FILE} } But inside my ksh file, am connecting to sftp server and executing some commands. So while i see... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: confused_info
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[solved] How to see log in real time?

Hi people I have a bash script with a line like this: python example.py >> log & But i can't see anything in the log file while python program is running only if the program ends seems to write the log file. "$ cat log" for example don't show anything until the program ends. Is there... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tieso
4 Replies

9. Solaris

[solved] Ssh passwordless login not working

This is Solaris 10 and sorce+destination are non root user. Somehow it is broke and I am not able to fix it. Already checked permissions on both servers and authorized_keys entry of destination is same as id_rsa.pub of source server. I can not regenerate keys on source server because I do not know,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] How to Redirect Output To Log File?

I have the below script, but when i execute it is still printing to screen is there a way i can stop this and just print everything to the log file. Thank you. #!/bin/bash exec > >(tee "/var/log/ScriptLogs/called_from_incrontab.log") 2>&1 DIR="$1" FILE="$2" echo "STEP 1: Datafile... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
5 Replies