Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: SQL: copying data down
Top Forums Programming SQL: copying data down Post 302578076 by radoulov on Wednesday 30th of November 2011 05:09:36 PM
Old 11-30-2011
If you need to improve the performance of the above statement you may try to index the date column
(in certain cases, for example Oracle (not sure for MySQL, you may check wit explain <your_statement_here>),
may try to use the index in order to avoid the costly sorting operation -
because the optimizer is aware that the data in the index is already sorted).

BTW: thanks for providing the necessary code in order to set up a test case!

Last edited by radoulov; 11-30-2011 at 06:39 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

copying data to raw devices using 'dd'

Hello all, I'm new here, so this information may exist elsewhere on this forum. If so, please point me in the right direction. Here's the problem. I'm trying to migrate Oracle data from an HP system to a Sun system using a raw device as a 'bridge' between the two systems. Both machines... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neville
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compress the contents of a directory while copying data into it

Hi guys I have a need to compress the contents of a directory while I am copying data into it. I was able to do this when it was only one file by doing as below: STEP1: mknod myfile p STEP2: chmod 777 myfile STEP3: compress -v < myfile > myfile.Z & STEP4: cp -p xyz_file myfile... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: user1602
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying data from excel file

Hii friends, I am a newbie to unix/shell scripting and got stuck in implementing a functionality.Dear experts,kindly spare some time to bring me out of dark pit :confused:.. My requirement is somewhat wierd,let me explain what i have and what i need to do... 1) there are several excel... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 5ahen
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use sql data file in unix csv file as input to an sql query from shell

Hi , I used the below script to get the sql data into csv file using unix scripting. I m getting the output into an output file but the output file is not displayed in a separe columns . #!/bin/ksh export FILE_PATH=/maav/home/xyz/abc/ rm $FILE_PATH/sample.csv sqlplus -s... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nareshp
2 Replies

5. Programming

Doubt in C programming (copying data from one file to another)

Hello, i'm new to the forum and so am i to C programming. Recently i've gotten a task to create a program that will read an existing .bin file and copy the data to a non existing (so i have to create it) .txt file (some type of conversion) Now, i now how to put the arguments, opening and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lyric
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying data from files to directories

I have the following that I'd like to do: 1. I have split a file into separate files that I placed into the /tmp directory. These files are named F1 F2 F3 F4. 2. In addition, I have several directories which are alphabetized as dira dirb dirc dird. 3. I'd like to be able to copy F1 F2 F3 F4... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Copying data from one file server to another

Hello people, I have a question regarding transferring data from one file server to another. The server is a Solaris 9 box The old file server is connected via Ethernet cable, and the new file server we are switching is a Fiber channel. can I use the dd if=server:/app1 of=server2:/app1 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: br1an
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying part of a data file into another

Hi, I have a large number of data files each containing simple integers from 1 to around 25000 in ascending order. However, they are not in a specific progression; some numbers are missing in each file. For ex. datfile1 may have the numbers in order 1 2 4 6 7 8 12 ... 24996 24999 while datfile2... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: latsyrc
8 Replies

9. Red Hat

Copying data from USB CD Drive.

I need to perform operation as captioned. I found out USB CD Drive is attached, by running 'lsusb' command. I am trying to identify mechanism by which I could mount this USB CD drive to disk. After which I expect to copy the contents. Could anyone indicate how this could be performed ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: videsh77
3 Replies

10. Programming

SQL: copying data up

I need to fix an SQL statement in MySQL that should calculate a field using values from two of the columns and I prefer to do this using set-based programming, ie not procedural. What needs to happen is that in a separate column called "delta" the value of "level" is copied depending on whether... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
3 Replies
INDEX(7) SQL Commands ALTER INDEX(7) NAME
ALTER INDEX - change the definition of an index SYNOPSIS
ALTER INDEX name RENAME TO new_name ALTER INDEX name SET TABLESPACE tablespace_name ALTER INDEX name SET ( storage_parameter = value [, ... ] ) ALTER INDEX name RESET ( storage_parameter [, ... ] ) DESCRIPTION
ALTER INDEX changes the definition of an existing index. There are several subforms: RENAME The RENAME form changes the name of the index. There is no effect on the stored data. SET TABLESPACE This form changes the index's tablespace to the specified tablespace and moves the data file(s) associated with the index to the new tablespace. See also CREATE TABLESPACE [create_tablespace(7)]. SET ( storage_parameter = value [, ... ] ) This form changes one or more index-method-specific storage parameters for the index. See CREATE INDEX [create_index(7)] for details on the available parameters. Note that the index contents will not be modified immediately by this command; depending on the parame- ter you might need to rebuild the index with REINDEX [reindex(7)] to get the desired effects. RESET ( storage_parameter [, ... ] ) This form resets one or more index-method-specific storage parameters to their defaults. As with SET, a REINDEX might be needed to update the index entirely. PARAMETERS
name The name (possibly schema-qualified) of an existing index to alter. new_name The new name for the index. tablespace_name The tablespace to which the index will be moved. storage_parameter The name of an index-method-specific storage parameter. value The new value for an index-method-specific storage parameter. This might be a number or a word depending on the parameter. NOTES
These operations are also possible using ALTER TABLE [alter_table(7)]. ALTER INDEX is in fact just an alias for the forms of ALTER TABLE that apply to indexes. There was formerly an ALTER INDEX OWNER variant, but this is now ignored (with a warning). An index cannot have an owner different from its table's owner. Changing the table's owner automatically changes the index as well. Changing any part of a system catalog index is not permitted. EXAMPLES
To rename an existing index: ALTER INDEX distributors RENAME TO suppliers; To move an index to a different tablespace: ALTER INDEX distributors SET TABLESPACE fasttablespace; To change an index's fill factor (assuming that the index method supports it): ALTER INDEX distributors SET (fillfactor = 75); REINDEX INDEX distributors; COMPATIBILITY
ALTER INDEX is a PostgreSQL extension. SEE ALSO
CREATE INDEX [create_index(7)], REINDEX [reindex(7)] SQL - Language Statements 2010-05-14 ALTER INDEX(7)