Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting File Locking with fcntl on Darwin Mac OSX Post 302578034 by Corona688 on Wednesday 30th of November 2011 02:35:53 PM
Old 11-30-2011
fcntl, ioctl, same difference -- they're both raw system calls which need C data structures. You shouldn't be using them in perl, especially for programs you want to be portable. This might fail in different CPU architectures of the same Linux kernel, let alone a foreign OS.

perl's flock function exists because they're not the same everywhere.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

ssh and Mac OSX

Please help if you are familiar with Mac OSX. I downloaded OpenSSH for a newer version of SSH than what comes with OS 10.1. What a mistake! Now every time I try to make a connection to my remote server I get an message that ssh was built against version such and such and I have version such and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: glfisfn
2 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Mac Osx.2

I finally broke down and decided to buy a new piece of hardware. I think I made the right decision when I chose an Apple iBook - OSX is incredible! I haven't used a Mac since System7.5, and 10.2 is just blowing me away! Best of all, it's easy to use for people who are not used to Mac, but if I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LivinFree
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Make for Mac OS X (Darwin)

Can anyone tell me where to find "make". I have performed an exhaustive search of my system using find - to no avail. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: garb
2 Replies

4. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

win-xp/mac-osx

I'm currently looking for an emulation program that would allow me to open and run osx app.s and programs on a windows xp based system. if not is there a unix/linux/lindows program that may do the same? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: area51nstk
3 Replies

5. Programming

Problem with curses library on Mac OS 10.2 darwin

Hello, I am trying to write a simple program with functions in the ncurses library, on a Mac running OSX 10.2.8, with the compiler and libraries that were included in the Dec 2002 Developer's tools release (the last one that runs on Jaguar, as far as I know). When I try to compile, I get... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marks
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Upgrading bash on Darwin (osx)

Hi, I have installed bash 3.2 via darwin ports, however when I try and change the shell i.e. chsh -s /opt/local/bin/bash is says its a non-standard shell? but if i run ./bash i get a new bash prompt with version 3.2? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: c19h28O2
3 Replies

7. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

unix executable file problem on MAC OSX ??? please help

I've got this problem. My computers and external hard drives are converting many of my files to a Unix Executable File which has a grey terminal looking icon. I don't understand what is causing this to happen. It is happening to a large number of my image file of different formats and also... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chadb
1 Replies

8. OS X (Apple)

Mac OSX kernel

is there anyway of looking at, and if possible, modifying it? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cleansing_flame
2 Replies

9. Programming

fcntl works in linux but not in mac os x

Hi, Unless I am missing some serious differences in Mac and linux in terms of C programming, I dont know why this would happen. Please take a look at the following piece of code fragment: bool add_input_to_db(Cons *new_data) { // Set the attributes of the lock struct flock fl =... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newhere
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UML on MAC OSX

Hey guyz, Is it possible to build user-mode linux kernel on MAC OSX? Please I need a reply asap as I have an assignment that I need to do. Thanks! Adel (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aje02
1 Replies
FLOCK(1)							   User Commands							  FLOCK(1)

NAME
flock - manage locks from shell scripts SYNOPSIS
flock [-sxon] [-w timeout] lockfile [-c] command... flock [-sxon] [-w timeout] lockdir [-c] command... flock [-sxun] [-w timeout] fd DESCRIPTION
This utility manages flock(2) locks from within shell scripts or the command line. The first and second forms wraps the lock around the executing a command, in a manner similar to su(1) or newgrp(1). It locks a specified file or directory, which is created (assuming appropriate permissions), if it does not already exist. The third form is convenient inside shell scripts, and is usually used the following manner: ( flock -n 9 || exit 1 # ... commands executed under lock ... ) 9>/var/lock/mylockfile The mode used to open the file doesn't matter to flock; using > or >> allows the lockfile to be created if it does not already exist, how- ever, write permission is required; using < requires that the file already exists but only read permission is required. By default, if the lock cannot be immediately acquired, flock waits until the lock is available. OPTIONS
-s, --shared Obtain a shared lock, sometimes called a read lock. -x, -e, --exclusive Obtain an exclusive lock, sometimes called a write lock. This is the default. -u, --unlock Drop a lock. This is usually not required, since a lock is automatically dropped when the file is closed. However, it may be required in special cases, for example if the enclosed command group may have forked a background process which should not be hold- ing the lock. -n, --nb, --nonblock Fail (with an exit code of 1) rather than wait if the lock cannot be immediately acquired. -w, --wait, --timeout seconds Fail (with an exit code of 1) if the lock cannot be acquired within seconds seconds. Decimal fractional values are allowed. -o, --close Close the file descriptor on which the lock is held before executing command. This is useful if command spawns a child process which should not be holding the lock. -c, --command command Pass a single command to the shell with -c. -h, --help Print a help message. AUTHOR
Written by H. Peter Anvin <hpa@zytor.com>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2003-2006 H. Peter Anvin. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
flock(2) AVAILABILITY
The flock command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux February 2006 FLOCK(1)