Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting AWK Command to duplicate lines in a file? Post 302577864 by Grueben on Wednesday 30th of November 2011 06:07:36 AM
Old 11-30-2011
AWK Command to duplicate lines in a file?

Hi,
I have a file with date in it like:
UserString1
UserString2
UserString3
UserString4
UserString5

I need two entries for each line so it reads like

UserString1
UserString1
UserString2
UserString2

etc. Can someone help me with the awk command please?

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk/sed Command : Parse parameter file / send the lines to the ksh export command

Sorry for the duplicate thread this one is similar to the one in https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/88132-awk-sed-script-read-values-parameter-files.html#post302255121 Since there were no responses on the parent thread since it got resolved partially i thought to open the new... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajan_san
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command/Script to remove duplicate lines from the file?

Hello, Can anyone tell Command/Script to remove duplicate lines from the file? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rahulpict
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Which command can help me output lines with duplicate numbers?

i have a file, let's call it file. march 2008 january 2008 march 1920 march 2002 i want to output the first line, not the second as you can see the second line has different numbers. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hobiwhenuknowme
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to remove duplicate lines with perl,sed,awk

Input: hello hello hello hello monkey donkey hello hello drink dance drink Output should be: hello hello monkey donkey drink dance (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: How to merge duplicate lines and print in a single

The input file: >cat module1 200611051053 95 200523457498 35 200617890187 57 200726098123 66 200645676712 71 200744556590 68 >cat module2 200645676712 ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: winter9
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove duplicate lines using awk

Hi, I came to know that using awk '!x++' removes the duplicate lines. Can anyone please explain the above syntax. I want to understand how the above awk syntax removes the duplicates. Thanks in advance, sudvishw :confused: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudvishw
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

In a huge file, Delete duplicate lines leaving unique lines

Hi All, I have a very huge file (4GB) which has duplicate lines. I want to delete duplicate lines leaving unique lines. Sort, uniq, awk '!x++' are not working as its running out of buffer space. I dont know if this works : I want to read each line of the File in a For Loop, and want to... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnix
16 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk and duplicate lines - little complicated

So I've got problem which continues on my previous one (from few months ago: unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/171764-delete-duplicate-lines-twist.html ). Good, proven, working solutions for that old problem are those: awk '{cur=$0; gsub(/]/, "", cur); if (!a++) print}'and awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shadowww
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cant get awk 1liner to remove duplicate lines from Delimited file, get "event not found" error..help

Hi, I am on a Solaris8 machine If someone can help me with adjusting this awk 1 liner (turning it into a real awkscript) to get by this "event not found error" ...or Present Perl solution code that works for Perl5.8 in the csh shell ...that would be great. ****************** ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: andy b
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to put the command to remove duplicate lines in my awk script?

I create a CGI in bash/html. My awk script looks like : echo "<table>" for fn in /var/www/cgi-bin/LPAR_MAP/*; do echo "<td>" echo "<PRE>" awk -F',|;' -v test="$test" ' NR==1 { split(FILENAME ,a,""); } $0 ~ test { if(!header++){ ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tim2424
12 Replies
CAT(1)							      General Commands Manual							    CAT(1)

NAME
cat, read, nobs - catenate files SYNOPSIS
cat [ file ... ] read [ -m ] [ -n nline ] [ file ... ] nobs [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Cat reads each file in sequence and writes it on the standard output. Thus cat file prints a file and cat file1 file2 >file3 concatenates the first two files and places the result on the third. If no file is given, cat reads from the standard input. Output is buffered in blocks matching the input. Read copies to standard output exactly one line from the named file, default standard input. It is useful in interactive rc(1) scripts. The -m flag causes it to continue reading and writing multiple lines until end of file; -n causes it to read no more than nline lines. Read always executes a single write for each line of input, which can be helpful when preparing input to programs that expect line-at-a- time data. It never reads any more data from the input than it prints to the output. Nobs copies the named files to standard output except that it removes all backspace characters and the characters that precede them. It is useful to use as $PAGER with the Unix version of man(1) when run inside a win (see acme(1)) window. SOURCE
/src/cmd/cat.c /src/cmd/read.c /bin/nobs SEE ALSO
cp(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Read exits with status eof on end of file or, in the -n case, if it doesn't read nlines lines. BUGS
Beware of and which destroy input files before reading them. CAT(1)