Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: help - scripting command
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting help - scripting command Post 302577700 by creature09 on Tuesday 29th of November 2011 05:19:05 PM
Old 11-29-2011
thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shell scripting my own diff command

Hi I would like to run the diff command and recieve a little different output. I am on a linux machine. I am pretty new to shell scripting. So far my idea has shaped up to this, unworking, script. I would like file1: and file2: instead of the usual > or < output you recieve, diff | sed -e ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: axcxe
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with Scripting diff command

Here is where I am at so far..... ------------------------- #!/bin/bash echo "Enter the output file name" read output_file echo "Enter the Orginal file Name" read write_file d= ' diff $write_file $output_file ' if $d = 1 ;then echo "files are not identical" else echo "they... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tlfletcher05
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting using the FIND command

I'm working on a 'find' command which uses the -exec option to tar a listing of files that it finds. Is there a single option available that would both 1) create the TAR file if it doesn't exist and/or 2) update the TAR file if it already exists? Currently when I want manually create a TAR... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: buechler66
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help required on scripting the rm -f command

When i execute rm -f $1 via a script file named rmf, it is not deleting all the files, say starting with "sec". i have execute rmf for many times to remove all the occurrences... $rmf sec* - this should delete all files starting with sec, but not. The rm -f sec* is working fine. kindly help... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: frozensmilz
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trying a arithmatic on a command line vs scripting.

Hi Everyone! I'm trying to do simple math on a single command line instead of a script which I've already set up using let etc. I can not get the same output to display on a command line. Essentially I would like a=20, b=50, and c=a*b. When I tried: let "A=20, B=50"; let C=A*B; echo $C ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: CasperQuiet
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell scripting best practices - trap command

I know there is a command called trap which can be used to capture the signals from a shell script and redirect the control to a required function (such as a cleanup). My question is - Those of you who have written lot of shell scripts - do you always write a set of trap commands to capture... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagar_evc
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux scripting problem using ps command

when I try to apply this principle to my script, is not working, it tells me something like 'command not found' what i wrote is this.. if ; then echo "message1"; else echo "message2"; fi I'm supposed to count number of processes of the user, and if they're five or more, then a message... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aric87
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Which is the best way/command to do mathematics in UNIX scripting?

Hello all! I used to use expr for doing simple mathematics, but has a main advantage and a main disadvantage: The advantage is that it can take variables for numbers (e.g.{1}: echo "Give me first" read lol echo "Give other" read lil sum=`expr $lol + $lil` echo "The sum of $lol and $lil =... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting with arguments for ping command

This is the script I already have but I have problems with two arguments the first argument -t , I want to count 200 by the last digit of the IP address for example when I run the script ./ping.sh -t 17, the output would be192.168.0.217 is upThe second arguments --up won't work. Could anybody... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Roggy
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escape and command substitution in scripting

I have one question in shell script for escape "\" with command substitution "` `". I post there to seek help to understand how it works. My original one piece of code in script like this: This piece of code in whole script is working without errors chk_mode=`sqlplus -s /nolog<<EOF connect /... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
4 Replies
TEXTDUMP(4)						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 					       TEXTDUMP(4)

NAME
textdump -- textdump kernel dumping facility SYNOPSIS
options KDB options DDB DESCRIPTION
The textdump facility allows the capture of kernel debugging information to disk in a human-readable rather than the machine-readable form normally used with kernel memory dumps and minidumps. This representation, while less complete in that it does not capture full kernel state, can provide debugging information in a more compact, portable, and persistent form than a traditional dump. By combining textdump with other ddb(4) facilities, such as scripting and output capture, detailed bug information can be captured in a fully automated manner. FORMAT
textdump data is stored in a dump partition in the same style as a regular memory dump, and will be automatically extracted by savecore(8) if present on boot. textdump files are stored in the tar(5) format, and consist of one or more text files, each storing a particular type of debugging output. The following parts may be present: ddb.txt Captured ddb(4) output, if the capture facility has been used. May be disabled by clearing the debug.ddb.textdump.do_ddb sysctl. config.txt Kernel configuration, if has been compiled into the kernel. May be disabled by clearing the debug.ddb.textdump.do_config sysctl. msgbuf.txt Kernel message buffer, including recent console output if the capture facility has been used. May be disabled by clearing the debug.ddb.textdump.do_msgbuf sysctl. panic.txt Kernel panic string, if the kernel panicked before the dump was generated. May be disabled by clearing the debug.ddb.textdump.do_panic sysctl. version.txt Kernel version string. My be disabled by clearing the debug.ddb.textdump.do_version sysctl. Kernel textdumps may be extracted using tar(1). CONFIGURATION
The textdump facility is enabled as part of the kernel debugger using options KDB and options DDB. By default, kernel dumps generated on panic or via explicit requests for a dump will be regular memory dumps; however, by using the textdump set command in ddb(4), or by setting the debug.ddb.textdump.pending sysctl to 1 using sysctl(8), it is possible to request that the next dump be a textdump. If at the ddb(4) command line, the commands textdump set, textdump status, and textdump unset may be used to set, query, and clear the textdump pending flag. As with regular kernel dumps, a dump partition must be automatically or manually configured using dumpon(8). EXAMPLES
In the following example, the script kdb.enter.panic will run when the kernel debugger is entered as a result of a panic, enable output cap- ture, dump several useful pieces of debugging information, and then invoke panic in order to force a kernel dump to be written out followed by a reboot: script kdb.enter.panic=textdump set; capture on; show allpcpu; bt; ps; alltrace; show alllock; call doadump; reset In the following example, the script kdb.enter.witness will run when the kernel debugger is entered as a result of a witness violation, printing lock-related information for the user: script kdb.enter.witness=show locks These scripts may also be configured using the ddb(8) utility. SEE ALSO
tar(1), ddb(4), tar(5), ddb(8), dumpon(8), savecore(8), sysctl(8) HISTORY
The textdump facility first appeared in FreeBSD 7.1. AUTHORS
The textdump facility was created by Robert N. M. Watson. BSD
December 24, 2008 BSD