Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Comparing two files and list the differences Post 302577672 by Corona688 on Tuesday 29th of November 2011 02:53:42 PM
Old 11-29-2011
If you posted using code tags, you wouldn't need to use * for space.

Please post in code tags so we can see what your code actually looks like.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing file content differences

I need to write a script to find out if there are any .c files created/removed from the last time i monitored the files available. i first created a file to contain all the .c files available on the system. (ls *.c > file1) I created another file using the same command. I used the comm file1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RianTan
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing files columnwise and print the differences in third file

Hello Everybody!!!!!!!!! Request you to help me with the below mentioned issue: I have 2 files say, File 1: a|4|7 b|3|2 c|8|8 d|8|9 File 2: a|4|6 b|2|2 c|8|8 d|9|8 The third file(output file) should have: Data mismatch in row 1 column 3 Data mismatch in row 2 coumn 2 Data... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhijeet1409
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Differences between 2 Flat Files and process the differences

Hi Hope you are having a great weeknd !! I had a question and need your expertise for this : I have 2 files File1 & File2(of same structure) which I need to compare on some columns. I need to find the values which are there in File2 but not in File 1 and put the Differences in another file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_8398
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: Comparing to two files and displaying the differences

Hi, I'm new to perl and i have to write a perl script that will compare to log/txt files and display the differences. Unfortunately I'm not allowed to use any complied binaries or applications like diff or comm. So far i've across a code like this: use strict; use warnings; my $list1;... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dont_be_hasty
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help comparing 2 files and sending differences

I have 2 files that need to be compared. Email the differences if something is different and don't email if nothing is different. One or both of the files could be empty. One or both could have data in them. example files backup.doc.$(date +%y%m%d) file size is 0 backup.doc.$(TZ=CST+24... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jabbott3
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing 2 xml files and print the differences only in output

Hi....I'm having 2 xml files, one is having some special characters and another is a clean xml file does not have any special characters. Now I need one audit kind of file which will show me only from which line the special characters have been removed and the special characters. Can you please... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Krishanu Saha
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing list of files

Hi All, I have a list of files and want to find the difference between each file if there is difference then i want the file name to be printed and log the duplicate files For example Size Filename 23 a1 23 a2 23 a3 45 a4 If i diff a1 and a2 and find... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wedng.bell
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to compare the two files and list out differences between the two

Hi, I need to compare the two files and list out difference between the two. Please assist. Best regards, Vishal (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Comparing time differences between 2 Solaris servers

Good day to all. I'm relatively new in using the Sun Solaris OS. I would like to request your expertise in helping to solve a problem that I have at work. Not sure if this has been asked before but I have tried searching through the internet to no avail. Basically I have 2 sun solaris... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fossil_84
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Comparing two files and list the difference with common first line content of both files

I have two file as given below which shows the ACL permissions of each file. I need to compare the source file with target file and list down the difference as specified below in required output. Can someone help me on this ? Source File ************* # file: /local/test_1 # owner: own #... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarathy_a35
4 Replies
DIFF3(1)							     GNU Tools								  DIFF3(1)

NAME
diff3 - find differences between three files SYNOPSIS
diff3 [options] mine older yours DESCRIPTION
The diff3 command compares three files and outputs descriptions of their differences. The files to compare are mine, older, and yours. At most one of these three file names may be -, which tells diff3 to read the standard input for that file. Options Below is a summary of all of the options that GNU diff3 accepts. Multiple single letter options (unless they take an argument) can be com- bined into a single command line argument. -a Treat all files as text and compare them line-by-line, even if they do not appear to be text. -A Incorporate all changes from older to yours into mine, surrounding all conflicts with bracket lines. -B Old behavior of -A. Shows non-conflicts. -e Generate an ed script that incorporates all the changes from older to yours into mine. -E Like -e, except bracket lines from overlapping changes' first and third files. With -e, an overlapping change looks like this: <<<<<<< mine lines from mine ======= lines from yours >>>>>>> yours --ed Generate an ed script that incorporates all the changes from older to yours into mine. --easy-only Like -e, except output only the nonoverlapping changes. -i Generate w and q commands at the end of the ed script for System V compatibility. This option must be combined with one of the -AeExX3 options, and may not be combined with -m. --initial-tab Output a tab rather than two spaces before the text of a line in normal format. This causes the alignment of tabs in the line to look normal. -L label --label=label Use the label label for the brackets output by the -A, -E and -X options. This option may be given up to three times, one for each input file. The default labels are the names of the input files. Thus diff3 -L X -L Y -L Z -m A B C acts like diff3 -m A B C , except that the output looks like it came from files named X, Y and Z rather than from files named A, B and C. -m --merge Apply the edit script to the first file and send the result to standard output. Unlike piping the output from diff3 to ed, this works even for binary files and incomplete lines. -A is assumed if no edit script option is specified. --overlap-only Like -e, except output only the overlapping changes. --show-all Incorporate all unmerged changes from older to yours into mine, surrounding all overlapping changes with bracket lines. --show-overlap Like -e, except bracket lines from overlapping changes' first and third files. -T Output a tab rather than two spaces before the text of a line in normal format. This causes the alignment of tabs in the line to look normal. --text Treat all files as text and compare them line-by-line, even if they do not appear to be text. -v --version Output the version number of diff3. -x Like -e, except output only the overlapping changes. -X Like -E, except output only the overlapping changes. In other words, like -x, except bracket changes as in -E. -3 Like -e, except output only the nonoverlapping changes. SEE ALSO
cmp(1), comm(1), diff(1), ed(1), patch(1), sdiff(1). DIAGNOSTICS
An exit status of 0 means diff3 was successful, 1 means some conflicts were found, and 2 means trouble. GNU Tools 22sep1993 DIFF3(1)