Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to find files and replace them in a directory in Shell scripting Post 302577598 by pratima.kumari on Tuesday 29th of November 2011 11:58:54 AM
Old 11-29-2011
In the directory there are hundreds of files having several extensions.
i wwant a result which finds all the files which starts with "-" or contains '#'
and then rename it

---------- Post updated at 10:28 PM ---------- Previous update was at 10:26 PM ----------

Will this work?
New_FILE=(`find ${DIRECTORY} -iname "*.*" -print0 | xargs -0 grep "-"`)
will this command will give me all the desired files.

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use code tags!

Last edited by vbe; 11-29-2011 at 01:45 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and Replace in multiple files (Shell script)

hi guys, Suppose you have 100 files in a folder and you want to replace all occurances of a word say "ABCD" in those files with "DCBA", how would you do it ??? jatin (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: jatins_s
13 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to find and copy the files creted in the year 2006 to another directory

Hi All, I am new to UNIX. I will be thankful if some one helps me. I have to write a shell script for one of the requirement. I have files created from Jan 2006 to March 2008. My requirement is to write a script in such a way that 1) To find and copy(not Moving) the files created in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas6
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

find and replace string in a directory files

Hi, I have a directory has DIR1 and the D1 directory has 200+ files. I want change the string from "Bangalore" to "Bangaluru" in all files in the D1 directory. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell:Find a word in files in a directory and subdirectories

I'm looking to write a ksh code with will be alble to find a word like 'toto' in all files going from my current directory. eg. /doc ----------->have: text.c which "toto" /doc/usr-------->have: build.pc, help.java which "toto" /doc/usr/cach -->have: test.sh which "toto" /doc/build... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yeclota
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to find and replace string in multiple files

I used the following script cd pathname for y in `ls *`; do sed "s/ABCD/DCBA/g" $y > temp; mv temp $y; done and it worked fine for finding and replacing strings with names etc. in all files of the given path. I'm trying to replace a string which consists of path (location of file) ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: pharos467
11 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find and replace in all files using shell scripting

Hi all, I'm looking to find and replace a string in all HTML files within a certain directory, including subdirectories. Normally, I would play with this a little to get it to work, but I can't mess this up, so I'm going to ask here. Basically, I want to find "<title>" in all *.htm* files... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: slothario
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to find and replace contents of files in directory

Hi all This is my first post. Please bear with me with all my mistakes. I started learning shell since couple of days now and this might be quite basic for all, i want to search for files in a directory containing specific string and replace it with new string. The code i wrote is quite bulky... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: theprogrammer
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to find the GB files in /tmp directory in remote server

Hi, i need help on shell scripting. Main intention of the script is step 1: ssh to remote server Step 2: cd /tmp in remote server Step 3: in tmp i want to grep only files and directories which are in GB sizes All the servers list file is - tmpsrv.txt vi tmpsrv.txt ... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumar85shiv
17 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Scripting on files in directory

Hi, The requirement is below: There are 5 files in a unix directory and i need to pick up latest file from the directory that i can do like this ls -lrt | tail -1 and this file can be processed. now the actual requirement is some times what will happen the second third...on files i.e(ls -lrt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prawinmca
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting for moving folder specific files into target directory of that country folder.

I need help to write shell script to copy files from one server to another server. Source Directory UAE(inside i have another folder Misc with files inside UAE folder).I have to copy this to another server UAE folder( Files should be copied to UAE folder and Misc files should be copied in target... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: naresh2389
3 Replies
GIT-LS-REMOTE(1)                                                    Git Manual                                                    GIT-LS-REMOTE(1)

NAME
git-ls-remote - List references in a remote repository SYNOPSIS
git ls-remote [--heads] [--tags] [--refs] [--upload-pack=<exec>] [-q | --quiet] [--exit-code] [--get-url] [--symref] [<repository> [<refs>...]] DESCRIPTION
Displays references available in a remote repository along with the associated commit IDs. OPTIONS
-h, --heads, -t, --tags Limit to only refs/heads and refs/tags, respectively. These options are not mutually exclusive; when given both, references stored in refs/heads and refs/tags are displayed. --refs Do not show peeled tags or pseudorefs like HEAD in the output. -q, --quiet Do not print remote URL to stderr. --upload-pack=<exec> Specify the full path of git-upload-pack on the remote host. This allows listing references from repositories accessed via SSH and where the SSH daemon does not use the PATH configured by the user. --exit-code Exit with status "2" when no matching refs are found in the remote repository. Usually the command exits with status "0" to indicate it successfully talked with the remote repository, whether it found any matching refs. --get-url Expand the URL of the given remote repository taking into account any "url.<base>.insteadOf" config setting (See git-config(1)) and exit without talking to the remote. --symref In addition to the object pointed by it, show the underlying ref pointed by it when showing a symbolic ref. Currently, upload-pack only shows the symref HEAD, so it will be the only one shown by ls-remote. <repository> The "remote" repository to query. This parameter can be either a URL or the name of a remote (see the GIT URLS and REMOTES sections of git-fetch(1)). <refs>... When unspecified, all references, after filtering done with --heads and --tags, are shown. When <refs>... are specified, only references matching the given patterns are displayed. EXAMPLES
$ git ls-remote --tags ./. d6602ec5194c87b0fc87103ca4d67251c76f233a refs/tags/v0.99 f25a265a342aed6041ab0cc484224d9ca54b6f41 refs/tags/v0.99.1 7ceca275d047c90c0c7d5afb13ab97efdf51bd6e refs/tags/v0.99.3 c5db5456ae3b0873fc659c19fafdde22313cc441 refs/tags/v0.99.2 0918385dbd9656cab0d1d81ba7453d49bbc16250 refs/tags/junio-gpg-pub $ git ls-remote http://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/git/git.git master pu rc 5fe978a5381f1fbad26a80e682ddd2a401966740 refs/heads/master c781a84b5204fb294c9ccc79f8b3baceeb32c061 refs/heads/pu $ git remote add korg http://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/git/git.git $ git ls-remote --tags korg v* d6602ec5194c87b0fc87103ca4d67251c76f233a refs/tags/v0.99 f25a265a342aed6041ab0cc484224d9ca54b6f41 refs/tags/v0.99.1 c5db5456ae3b0873fc659c19fafdde22313cc441 refs/tags/v0.99.2 7ceca275d047c90c0c7d5afb13ab97efdf51bd6e refs/tags/v0.99.3 GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 2.17.1 10/05/2018 GIT-LS-REMOTE(1)