Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Locate equivalent in UNIX
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Locate equivalent in UNIX Post 302577545 by Corona688 on Tuesday 29th of November 2011 10:19:32 AM
Old 11-29-2011
There is an overhead to locate, just so you know. It's faster only because it stores a database of files on the system, which has to be updated daily by a cron job.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

unix equivalent for windows APIs..........................

Hi, Is there any unix equivalents available for the folllowing windows function ? FindFirstFile FindNextFile etc..... Or do i have to write an equivalent api?? Can anybody help me to do the same?? thanks in advance Ani (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ani
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

IsDBCSLeadByteEx equivalent for unix

I am using IsDBCSLeadByteEx for windows, i would like to know whether there is any equivalent function in unix(linux) platform. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anjan_kumar_k
1 Replies

3. Programming

IsDBCSLeadByteEx equivalent for unix

I am using IsDBCSLeadByteEx for windows, i would like to know whether there is any equivalent function in unix(linux) platform. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anjan_kumar_k
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Equivalent to locate

Does Solaris 10 have an equivalent to FreeBSD's `locate'? If not, what is the best way to search for files (allowing regexp) throughout the system? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Russell
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix equivalent of DOS set

Hi all, what is the equivalent command of the DOS set that lists all the environment variable and their values? Xavier. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xxavier
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Equivalent of Substr in Unix

Hi, I have a shell variable which has a value 123456:abcdeg. I want to extract the value which is present before ":". Is there any command in Unix through which I can achieve this. Please suggest. Thanks, Saurabh (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabhsinha23
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ACF2 equivalent in Unix or Linux ?

In IBM Mainframe they have something called ACF2 rule which is essentially used to control the dataset access. It is kind of a list-based access control for mainframe datasets. Is there anything equivalent to ACF2 available in Unix ? Thanks Rabi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: indra_saha
1 Replies

8. HP-UX

UNIX VI editor equivalent of LINUX

Hi All, I am comfortable working in LINUX and need equivalents for HP-UX for below mentioned, 1. We use TAB key to expand/reveal a name in LINUX. Is there any way to make this work for UNIX, where it is double escape. 2. Also can we use make use of left,down,up,right keys instead... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradebban
3 Replies

9. Solaris

active directory equivalent for unix

At the moment we are integrating LDAP in our environment. Compared to Windows this process is much complicated and time consuming. With Windows you had Active Directory and if you create a new server, you just add it to the domain and your finished. Yes, I know Unix is not Windows. Are there... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: misterx12345
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Linux equivalent for UNIX

I have a folder called "log" which has a few sub-folders say "fda" "fd7" "fdd" "fd6 .... " I wish to fire the below command inside each subfolder starting with the folder with the latest time stamp. grep "$greptime.*exit" Prod.$(hostname).log | grep $fdrdate_new If the seach did not yield... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
3 Replies
cron(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   cron(8)

NAME
cron - The system clock daemon SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/cron DESCRIPTION
The cron daemon runs shell commands at specified dates and times. Commands that are to run according to a regular or periodic schedule are found within the crontab files. Commands that are to run once only are found within the at files. You submit crontab and at file entries by using the crontab and at commands. Because the cron process exits only when killed or when the system stops, only one cron daemon should exist on the system at any given time. Normally, you start the cron daemon from within a run command file. During process initialization and when cron detects a change, it examines the crontab and at files. This strategy reduces the overhead of checking for new or changed files at regularly scheduled intervals. The cron command creates a log of its activities. The cron daemon must be started from the system startup scripts because it must begin execution without a login user ID set. The cron daemon starts each job with the following process attributes stored with the job by the invoking process: Login user ID Effective and real user IDs Effective and real group IDs Supplementary groups It also establishes the following attributes from the authentication profile of the account associated with the login user ID of the invok- ing process: Audit control and disposition masks Kernel authorizations DIAGNOSTICS
The at and batch programs will refuse to accept jobs submitted from processes whose login user ID is different from the real user ID. FILES
Specifies the command path. Main cron directory Directory containing the crontab files. List of allowed users. List of denied users His- tory information for cron Queue description file for at, batch, and cron RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: at(1), crontab(1), rc0(8), rc2(8), rc3(8) Files: queuedefs(4) delim off cron(8)