Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Logical volume sharing
Operating Systems HP-UX Logical volume sharing Post 302577393 by frappa on Tuesday 29th of November 2011 02:43:26 AM
Old 11-29-2011
Hi,

sharing of disk space between servers can be done via network file sharing protocols, but this is independent of the volume management system locally used on the various servers.

If you decide to go with network sharing, look for infos about nfs protocol.

See ya
fra

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

LVM - Extending Logical Volume within Volume Group

Hello, I have logical volume group of 50GB, in which I have 2 logical volumes, LogVol01 and LogVol02, both are of 10GB. If I extend LogVol01 further by 10GB, then it keeps the extended copy after logical volume 2. I want to know where it keeps this information Regards Himanshu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghimanshu
3 Replies

2. AIX

Moving a Logical Volume from one Volume Group to Another

Does anyone have any simple methods for moving a current logical volume from one volume group to another? I do not wish to move the data from one physical volume to another. Basically, I want to "relink" the logical volume to exist in a different volume group. Any ideas? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krisw
2 Replies

3. AIX

Basic Filesystem / Physical Volume / Logical Volume Check

Hi! Can anyone help me on how I can do a basic check on the Unix filesystems / physical volumes and logical volumes? What items should I check, like where do I look at in smit? Or are there commands that I should execute? I need to do this as I was informed by IBM that there seems to be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chipahoys
1 Replies

4. Red Hat

logical volume remove

I have a buch of logical volumes and I need to remove. I can able to remove them but when i remove lvm which has 5gb, i dont see that space is alloted to root partition. Any ideas.Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: s_linux
5 Replies

5. AIX

Logical volume name conflict in two volume group

Hello, I am a french computer technician, and i speak English just a little. On Aix 5.3, I encounter a name conflict logical volume on two volume group. The first volume lvnode01 is OK in rootvg and mounted. It is also consistent in the ODM root # lsvg -l rootvg |grep lvnode01 ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dantares
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Confusion Regarding Physical Volume,Volume Group,Logical Volume,Physical partition

Hi, I am new to unix. I am working on Red Hat Linux and side by side on AIX also. After reading the concepts of Storage, I am now really confused regarding the terminologies 1)Physical Volume 2)Volume Group 3)Logical Volume 4)Physical Partition Please help me to understand these concepts. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kashifsd17
6 Replies

7. AIX

Position of the logical volume on the physical volume

Hello everyone, I just read that while creating a logical volume(LV) we can choose the region of the physical volume (PV) in which the LV should be created. When I say region I mean: outer edge - outer middle - center - inner middle and inner edge. Can anyone help me understand the utility... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: adilyos
11 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to create a volume group, logical volume group and file system?

hi, I want to create a volume group of 200 GB and then create different file systems on that. please help me out. Its becomes confusing when the PP calculating PP. I don't understand this concept. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamaldev
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

No space in volume group. How to create a file system using existing logical volume

Hello Guys, I want to create a file system dedicated for an application installation. But there is no space in volume group to create a new logical volume. There is enough space in other logical volume which is being mounted on /var. I know we can use that logical volume and create a virtual... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamshigvk475
2 Replies
nfssec(5)							File Formats Manual							 nfssec(5)

NAME
nfssec - overview of NFS security modes DESCRIPTION
The mount_nfs(1M) and share_nfs(1M) commands each provide a way to specify the security mode to be used on an NFS filesystem through the option. mode can be either or These security modes may also be added to the automount maps. Note that mount_nfs(1M) and automount(1M) do not support at this time. The option on the share_nfs(1M) command line establishes the security mode of NFS servers. If the NFS connection uses the NFS Version 3 protocol, the NFS clients must query the server for the appropriate mode to use. If the NFS connection uses the NFS Version 2 protocol, then the NFS client uses the default security mode, which is currently NFS clients may force the use of a specific security mode by speci- fying the option on the command line. However, if the filesystem on the server is not shared with that security mode, the client may be denied access. If the NFS client wants to authenticate the NFS server using a particular (stronger) security mode, the client wants to specify the secu- rity mode to be used, even if the connection uses the NFS Version 3 protocol. This guarantees that an attacker masquerading as the server does not compromise the client. The NFS security modes are described below. Of these, the modes use the Kerberos V5 protocol for authenticating and protecting the shared filesystems. Before these can be used, the system must be configured to be part of a Kerberos realm. Use authentication. The user's UNIX user-id and group-ids are passed in the clear on the network, unauthenticated by the NFS server . This is the simplest security method and requires no additional administration. It is the default used by HP-UX NFS Version 2 clients and HP-UX NFS servers. Use a Diffie-Hellman public key system which is referred to as in the forthcoming Internet RFC). Use Kerberos V5 protocol to authenticate users before granting access to the shared filesystem. Use Kerberos V5 authentication with integrity checking (checksums) to verify that the data has not been tampered with. User Kerberos V5 authentication, integrity checksums, and privacy protection (encryption) on the shared filesystem. This provides the most secure filesystem sharing, as all traffic is encrypted. It should be noted that performance might suffer on some systems when using depending on the computational intensity of the encryption algorithm and the amount of data being transferred. Use null authentication NFS clients using have no identity and are mapped to the anonymous user by NFS servers. A client using a security mode other than the one with which an HP-UX NFS server shares the filesystem has its security mode mapped to In this case, if the filesystem is shared with users from the client are mapped to the anonymous user. WARNINGS
lists the NFS security services. Do not edit this file. It is not intended to be user-configurable. FILES
NFS security service configuration file SEE ALSO
automount(1M), mount_nfs(1M), share_nfs(1M), rpc_clnt_auth(3N), secure_rpc(3N), nfssec.conf(4). nfssec(5)