Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Question about a basic shell script: How to make sure it receives only one input? Post 302577392 by balajesuri on Tuesday 29th of November 2011 02:40:46 AM
Old 11-29-2011
The below script will check if the parameters entered are more than 1 and if they're directories (files and non existing directories will be skipped). The sum of sizes of directory will be the output of the program. Is this what you're looking for?
Code:
#! /bin/bash

if [ $# -lt 1 ]
then
    echo "No parameters. Exiting."
    exit
fi

sum=0
for i in $@
do
    if [ -d $i ]
    then
        sum=$(($sum + `du $i | awk '{print $1}'`))
    else
        continue
    fi
done

echo $sum

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

basic shell scripting question

If I did indeed grep something out of it, why woudln't $result show nothing? When I do $? , it does show success... What is the proper syntax so that $result shows actual thing it's grepping out? result=`(ssh $host tail -1 /something/somethingelse) | egrep -i "value" >dev/null` #echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: convenientstore
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

need a quick basic shell script help

im trying to run the below if command ifconfig -a |grep 10.100.120.21 gives me below output inet addr:10.100.120.21 Bcast:10.100.120.255 Mask:255.255.255.0 i just want a basic shell which says if above exists then continue how would i do this? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: eb222
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic script question

I'm trying to approach a problem but all I'm coming up with are complex ways to manipulate the data. But still not getting the desired outcome. directory of files.... file-100-foo file-100-man file-100-chu Need to copy the files and increment the number in the file name ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: suphawk
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic Shell Script Help

Lets say I wanted to create a script that would show what people are doing on my machine using the w command and refresh in about 6 seconds. What would be the easiest way to do this? I pretty much want the script to loop until I stop it. I'm using the BASH shell by the way. Help is appreciated.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: c4391
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic shell script help

Im trying to make a script that simply adds a word to the last available line in a txt file without overwriting any previous lines. Ive googled this and there are great examples but no one explain what each function does, and i dont entirely understand how it works. Basically Im looking for... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kylecn
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help! Basic shell script advice

##### (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AidoPotato
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic question on shell script execution

I have two shell scripts in the different directories listed below, /root/dev/dir1/test.sh /root/dev/dir2/master.sh I am executing the master.sh script from the test.sh like below and getting 'Permission denied' error. #! /bin/sh #test.sh path='/root/dev' $path/dir2/master.sh But it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting all the parallel processes launched when the main script receives a ctrl+c

Hi, I have a shell script that creates 2 parallel processes. When I press ctrl+c, i want the parallel process to get killed as well. #!/bin/bash cmd1="script1.py" cmd2="script2.py" ${cmd1} & pid1=$! echo ${pid1} ${cmd2} & pid2=$! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sana.usha
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic loop awk/shell script question..

Hi, Sorry if this is a newbie question. I guess you can use either awk or shell script for this sequence of operations, but knowing very little about either of them I'm not sure how I should try to write this. The basic objective is to copy certain files that are scattered all over my... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pc2001
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic Combination Shell Script

I need to have a script read a file that has a list of words in a single column like below:Black Blue Brown Orange Red Yellow Green White Purple Silver Grey Tan Then print to another file just all of the two-word possible combinations. Example: Black,Blue Anyone want to take a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vespasian
4 Replies
DH_INSTALLDEB(1)						     Debhelper							  DH_INSTALLDEB(1)

NAME
dh_installdeb - install files into the DEBIAN directory SYNOPSIS
dh_installdeb [debhelperoptions] DESCRIPTION
dh_installdeb is a debhelper program that is responsible for installing files into the DEBIAN directories in package build directories with the correct permissions. FILES
package.postinst package.preinst package.postrm package.prerm These maintainer scripts are installed into the DEBIAN directory. Inside the scripts, the token #DEBHELPER# is replaced with shell script snippets generated by other debhelper commands. package.triggers package.shlibs These control files are installed into the DEBIAN directory. Note that package.shlibs is only installed in compat level 9 and earlier. In compat 10, please use dh_makeshlibs(1). package.conffiles This control file will be installed into the DEBIAN directory. In v3 compatibility mode and higher, all files in the etc/ directory in a package will automatically be flagged as conffiles by this program, so there is no need to list them manually here. package.maintscript Lines in this file correspond to dpkg-maintscript-helper(1) commands and parameters. However, the "maint-script-parameters" should not be included as debhelper will add those automatically. Example: # Correct rm_conffile /etc/obsolete.conf 0.2~ foo # INCORRECT rm_conffile /etc/obsolete.conf 0.2~ foo -- "$@" In compat 10 or later, any shell metacharacters will be escaped, so arbitrary shell code cannot be inserted here. For example, a line such as "mv_conffile /etc/oldconffile /etc/newconffile" will insert maintainer script snippets into all maintainer scripts sufficient to move that conffile. It was also the intention to escape shell metacharacters in previous compat levels. However, it did not work properly and as such it was possible to embed arbitrary shell code in earlier compat levels. The dh_installdeb tool will do some basic validation of some of the commands listed in this file to catch common mistakes. The validation is enabled as a warning since compat 10 and as a hard error in compat 12. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_INSTALLDEB(1)