Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Awk script to replace null columns with blank Post 302577057 by danmero on Monday 28th of November 2011 05:57:38 AM
Old 11-28-2011
Code:
awk 'BEGIN{FS=OFS="|"}{for(i=1;++i<NF;)$i=$i?$i:"        "}1' file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace a column that has '' to NULL in a comma delimited using awk or sed

Hi this is my first time posting ever. I'm relatively new in using AWK/SED, I've been trying many a solution. I'm trying to replace the 59th column in a file where if I encounter '' then I would like to replace it with the word NULL. example 0 , '' , '' , 0 , 195.538462 change it to 0... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gumal901
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace columns in 2 files

Hi All, I already have a code which replaces column 14 of NPBR.XTR.tmp with column 8 of NPBR3G.XTR.final awk -F'\|' 'FNR==NR{a= $2"^"$8;next;}a{split(a,b,"^");$8=b;$14=b;}1' OFS="|" ${SHTEMP}NPBR3G.XTR.final ${SHTEMP}NPBR.XTR.tmp > ${SHTEMP}NPBR.XTR.final I also need to replace column 15... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nua7
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find the null member or blank in the text file?

Hello All, I am new to unix scripting and wanted to know, is it possible if we find any null value or blank record in the text file. For example we have a text file with only one column and there are 90 records. But some times we will have a null value or blank row record in the text file. I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ram11111
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to find blank records in a file except for few columns

I have a file with the following format: X|High|2|GIC|DM||XHM|||6 Months X|Moderate|2|GIC|DM||XHM|||6 Months X|High|2|GCM|DM||XSF|||6 Months X|Med|2|GCM|DM||XSF|||6 Here there are ten columns but I need to print rows having blank records in any of the rows (except for 6th,8th and 9th... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: chatwithsaurav
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print columns which are not null

I am working on a file with several columns as below MO_NAME,FAULT_TYPE,CLASS,CODE1,CODE2,CODE3 RXOCF-101,BTS INTERNAL,FAULT CODES CLASS 2A,53,58 RXOCF-101,BTS INTERNAL,FAULT CODES CLASS 2B,24 RXOCF-101,BTS INTERNAL,FAULT CODES CLASS 2A,33 RXOCF-101,BTS INTERNAL,FAULT CODES CLASS 2D,57 ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rizwan Rasul
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple columns replace with null values.

I am trying to replace the partcular columns(Col3,col5,col20,col44,col55,co56,col59,col60,col61,col62,col74,col75,col88,col90,col91,col93,col94,col95) with empty Input file Col1,col2,col3,col4,col5------,col100 1,2,3,4,5,---------,100 3,4,5,6,7,---------,300 Output : ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: onesuri
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace null values with dot using awk

Using awk I am trying to replace all blank or null values with a . in the tad delimited input. I hope the awk is close. Thank you :). input name test sam 1 liz 2 al 1 awk awk 'BEGIN{FS=OFS="\t"}{for(i=1;++i<NF;)$i=$i?$i:"."}1'input awk 'BEGIN { FS =... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Do replace operation and awk to sum multiple columns if another column has duplicate values

Hi Experts, Please bear with me, i need help I am learning AWk and stuck up in one issue. First point : I want to sum up column value for column 7, 9, 11,13 and column15 if rows in column 5 are duplicates.No action to be taken for rows where value in column 5 is unique. Second point : For... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: as7951
12 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk script to extract a column, replace one of the header and replace year(from ddmmyy to yyyy)

I have a csv which has lot of columns . I was looking for an awk script which would extract a column twice. for the first occurance the header and data needs to be intact but for the second occurance i want to replace the header name since it a duplicate and extract year value which is in ddmmyy... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kunalcurious
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Join, merge, fill NULL the void columns of multiples files like sql "LEFT JOIN" by using awk

Hello, This post is already here but want to do this with another way Merge multiples files with multiples duplicates keys by filling "NULL" the void columns for anothers joinning files file1.csv: 1|abc 1|def 2|ghi 2|jkl 3|mno 3|pqr file2.csv: 1|123|jojo 1|NULL|bibi... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yjacknewton
2 Replies
BEGIN(7)                                                           SQL Commands                                                           BEGIN(7)

NAME
BEGIN - start a transaction block SYNOPSIS
BEGIN [ WORK | TRANSACTION ] [ transaction_mode [, ...] ] where transaction_mode is one of: ISOLATION LEVEL { SERIALIZABLE | REPEATABLE READ | READ COMMITTED | READ UNCOMMITTED } READ WRITE | READ ONLY DESCRIPTION
BEGIN initiates a transaction block, that is, all statements after a BEGIN command will be executed in a single transaction until an explicit COMMIT [commit(7)] or ROLLBACK [rollback(7)] is given. By default (without BEGIN), PostgreSQL executes transactions in ``autocom- mit'' mode, that is, each statement is executed in its own transaction and a commit is implicitly performed at the end of the statement (if execution was successful, otherwise a rollback is done). Statements are executed more quickly in a transaction block, because transaction start/commit requires significant CPU and disk activity. Execution of multiple statements inside a transaction is also useful to ensure consistency when making several related changes: other ses- sions will be unable to see the intermediate states wherein not all the related updates have been done. If the isolation level or read/write mode is specified, the new transaction has those characteristics, as if SET TRANSACTION [set_transac- tion(7)] was executed. PARAMETERS
WORK TRANSACTION Optional key words. They have no effect. Refer to SET TRANSACTION [set_transaction(7)] for information on the meaning of the other parameters to this statement. NOTES
START TRANSACTION [start_transaction(7)] has the same functionality as BEGIN. Use COMMIT [commit(7)] or ROLLBACK [rollback(7)] to terminate a transaction block. Issuing BEGIN when already inside a transaction block will provoke a warning message. The state of the transaction is not affected. To nest transactions within a transaction block, use savepoints (see SAVEPOINT [savepoint(7)]). For reasons of backwards compatibility, the commas between successive transaction_modes can be omitted. EXAMPLES
To begin a transaction block: BEGIN; COMPATIBILITY
BEGIN is a PostgreSQL language extension. It is equivalent to the SQL-standard command START TRANSACTION [start_transaction(7)], whose ref- erence page contains additional compatibility information. Incidentally, the BEGIN key word is used for a different purpose in embedded SQL. You are advised to be careful about the transaction semantics when porting database applications. SEE ALSO
COMMIT [commit(7)], ROLLBACK [rollback(7)], START TRANSACTION [start_transaction(7)], SAVEPOINT [savepoint(7)] SQL - Language Statements 2010-05-14 BEGIN(7)