Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Sorting the passwd file
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Sorting the passwd file Post 302577012 by ningy on Monday 28th of November 2011 03:02:15 AM
Old 11-28-2011
Solution to your 3rd question would be using
Code:
tee

command

Code:
sort -t: -k4,4, -k3,3 |tee outputfile

This User Gave Thanks to ningy For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

passwd file corrupted

Good Day Our HP box was hacked and the passwd file has been altered,there are only 2 user accounts active,and these dont have any administrative rights.I need to edit the passwd file to correct the su and root entries. Does any body have any suggestions as to how i can do this with out the root... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cantona7
10 Replies

2. Cybersecurity

/etc/passwd file

hi Does anyone anyone know what the last line of a unix user passwd file signifes? Mine shows "+:::::" best (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: s_mad010
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

help in /etc/passwd file

Hi all, As all of us know that in /etc/passwd file the first field correspond to username could any one tell me what is bin , damoen etc in the first field, and r they in user field , what is nologin in the last column ? root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: useless79
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Recovery Of Passwd File

the file /etc/passwd has corrupted mistakenly.actually the file has saved as "oot:0:0:root:/root/sbin/bash". first r of root has been deleted .. can anyone tell me how can i recover as normal user (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: singh_hackerz
2 Replies

5. Solaris

UIDs in /etc/passwd file

Hi all, I am bit confused about UIDs on my server where LDAP athentication happens. UIDs are generally in the range of 0-65534 for any Solaris OS version(correct if i am wrong). My server is running on Solaris 9. Below are user accounts available on my server. ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vvpotugunta
10 Replies

6. Solaris

passwd cmd reenables passwd aging in shadow entry

Hi Folks, I have Solaris 10, latest release. We have passwd aging set in /etc/defalut/passwd. I have an account that passwd should never expire. Acheived by emptying associated users shadow file entries for passwd aging. When I reset the users passwd using passwd command, it re enables... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help with passwd file

Not an unix expert, I read a few pages on the web about passwd files, but I didn't find the answers I need about the last 8 lines of the passwd file I'm taking a look at. I'm assuming their shortcuts to another file that may have the actual usernames of users on the system. Please, any help... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fusion31
1 Replies

8. Solaris

can't open /etc/passwd file

Hi all, Yet another problem on one of my nodes. I am unable to open my password file .It shows some junk alphabets. root@ecosdp26a>cat /etc/passwd... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek.goel.piet
10 Replies

9. AIX

When did AIX start using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords?

Does anyone know when AIX started using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anne Neville
1 Replies

10. HP-UX

[solved] HP-UX /etc/passwd file

Hi. i have the accessibility to cat the /et/passwd file in this file we see the paassword field but the password is in encrypted form So, it can be possible to get the password encrypted string to convert it into human readable string via some md5 encryption code mechanism etc.. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajesh1091
6 Replies
DEBCONF-MERGETEMPLATE(1)					      Debconf						  DEBCONF-MERGETEMPLATE(1)

NAME
debconf-mergetemplate - merge together multiple debconf template files SYNOPSIS
debconf-mergetemplate [options] [templates.ll ...] templates DESCRIPTION
Note: This utility is deprecated. You should switch to using po-debconf's po2debconf program. This program is useful if you have multiple debconf templates files which you want to merge together into one big file. All the specified files will be read in, merged, and output to standard output. This can be especially useful if you are dealing with translated template files. In this case, you might have your main template file, plus several other files provided by the translators. These files will have translated fields in them, and maybe the translators left in the english versions of the fields they translated, for their reference. So, you want to merge together all the translated templates files with your main templates file. Any fields that are unique to the translated files need to be added in to the correct templates, but any fields they have in common should be superseded by the fields in the main file (which might be more up-to-date). This program handles that case properly, just list each of the translated templates files, and then your main templates file last. OPTIONS
--outdated Merge in even outdated translations. The default is to drop them with a warning message. --drop-old-templates If a translation has an entire template that is not in the master file (and thus is probably an old template), drop that entire template. SEE ALSO
debconf-getlang(1) AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 2012-09-10 DEBCONF-MERGETEMPLATE(1)