Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Setting permissions for shell scripts Post 302576920 by admin_xor on Sunday 27th of November 2011 01:39:31 PM
Old 11-27-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmurphy
Solaris does not support setuid shell scripts.
Are you sure of this? I tested the steps I listed in my previous post and it worked fairly smoothly. I use Solaris 10. I have tried using both SUID and SGID bit set on ksh script. It works!

But, yes, Linux (RHEL 6.0) is ignoring the SUID bit on shell script and my steps do not work there.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting Default Permissions for Files

Hi, I am setting up an area on a unix server where multiple people will be editing web pages. Can anyone tell me how to set it up the directory and subdirectories so that when a user creates a new file, it defaults to permissions of 664 or 775? I've tried using umask but from what I can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: robbieg
1 Replies

2. AIX

Difference between writing Unix Shell script and AIX Shell Scripts

Hi, Please give me the detailed Differences between writing Unix Shell script and AIX Shell Scripts. Thanks in advance..... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: haroonec
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help setting up file permissions

Hi, I'm in the process of writing a system (in Java) where a user can register to become a member of a website. When they register, a collection of directories and files get created by the application. For example if a user with the name 'fred' registered they would get the following drwxr-xr-x... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: andrewpmoore
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting permissions

I've been told I need to set the permissions for everything in the htdocs folder to 777, but how do I go about doing this? Thanks:o (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: thehaapyappy
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting permissions and restricting access

Hi all, I have user called "Z". The home directory is /home/Z. I have another directory /home/Z/OP. Within /home/Z/OP, i have 2 directories /home/Z/OP/OP1 and /home/Z/OP2. I want to restrict access for Z to only access /home/Z/OP and /home/Z/OP1 and /home/Z/OP2. What kind of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2ss
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting default directory file permissions and ownership help

I'm trying to setup a directory structure for my staff which enables them full access to files in the directories with their name, and have access to anything in the shared directory. The directory structure looks like this: root@www10 # ls -l total 56 drwxr-xr-x 7 internal internal 4096... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: v_greg
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Automate setting of group permissions

What would be a practical way of making sure files I upload to/edit in a particular directory on a server always have the correct group permissions? I'm forgetful, so I try to automate things like chgrp'ing the files when I'm done. I could write a script to be run by cron. Is that the only way,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mregine
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting default permissions without umask or cron jobs

I've got a number of people sending files to me in different directory structures, and users on many different groups who need access to these incoming paths. My problem is that umask assumes a default of 666 for files. No execute bit, meaning that my users can't even see the incoming folders.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Karunamon
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare the Permissions for all the scripts that exists in two Directories

Hello All, I am in the process of finding the permissions on all the files that exists in two directories: Dir1: PROD_Scripts/* Dir2: STAGE_Scripts/* Both the Directories have some shell and perl scripts respectively. Step1: Finding all the Scripts that exists in PROD but Not in STAGE.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: filter
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting file permissions dynamically

I'm working in a linux server where wrappers are executed by multiple users of different groups. The log and output files are created with 554 permissions by default. This is stopping other users to run the wrappers unless the log and output files are deleted or given 777 permission. Setting SUID... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: praveenpa
1 Replies
exit(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)