Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Setting permissions for shell scripts Post 302576920 by admin_xor on Sunday 27th of November 2011 01:39:31 PM
Old 11-27-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmurphy
Solaris does not support setuid shell scripts.
Are you sure of this? I tested the steps I listed in my previous post and it worked fairly smoothly. I use Solaris 10. I have tried using both SUID and SGID bit set on ksh script. It works!

But, yes, Linux (RHEL 6.0) is ignoring the SUID bit on shell script and my steps do not work there.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting Default Permissions for Files

Hi, I am setting up an area on a unix server where multiple people will be editing web pages. Can anyone tell me how to set it up the directory and subdirectories so that when a user creates a new file, it defaults to permissions of 664 or 775? I've tried using umask but from what I can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: robbieg
1 Replies

2. AIX

Difference between writing Unix Shell script and AIX Shell Scripts

Hi, Please give me the detailed Differences between writing Unix Shell script and AIX Shell Scripts. Thanks in advance..... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: haroonec
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help setting up file permissions

Hi, I'm in the process of writing a system (in Java) where a user can register to become a member of a website. When they register, a collection of directories and files get created by the application. For example if a user with the name 'fred' registered they would get the following drwxr-xr-x... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: andrewpmoore
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting permissions

I've been told I need to set the permissions for everything in the htdocs folder to 777, but how do I go about doing this? Thanks:o (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: thehaapyappy
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting permissions and restricting access

Hi all, I have user called "Z". The home directory is /home/Z. I have another directory /home/Z/OP. Within /home/Z/OP, i have 2 directories /home/Z/OP/OP1 and /home/Z/OP2. I want to restrict access for Z to only access /home/Z/OP and /home/Z/OP1 and /home/Z/OP2. What kind of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2ss
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting default directory file permissions and ownership help

I'm trying to setup a directory structure for my staff which enables them full access to files in the directories with their name, and have access to anything in the shared directory. The directory structure looks like this: root@www10 # ls -l total 56 drwxr-xr-x 7 internal internal 4096... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: v_greg
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Automate setting of group permissions

What would be a practical way of making sure files I upload to/edit in a particular directory on a server always have the correct group permissions? I'm forgetful, so I try to automate things like chgrp'ing the files when I'm done. I could write a script to be run by cron. Is that the only way,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mregine
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting default permissions without umask or cron jobs

I've got a number of people sending files to me in different directory structures, and users on many different groups who need access to these incoming paths. My problem is that umask assumes a default of 666 for files. No execute bit, meaning that my users can't even see the incoming folders.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Karunamon
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare the Permissions for all the scripts that exists in two Directories

Hello All, I am in the process of finding the permissions on all the files that exists in two directories: Dir1: PROD_Scripts/* Dir2: STAGE_Scripts/* Both the Directories have some shell and perl scripts respectively. Step1: Finding all the Scripts that exists in PROD but Not in STAGE.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: filter
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting file permissions dynamically

I'm working in a linux server where wrappers are executed by multiple users of different groups. The log and output files are created with 554 permissions by default. This is stopping other users to run the wrappers unless the log and output files are deleted or given 777 permission. Setting SUID... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: praveenpa
1 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [-k] [-q] [-t time] [file [command ...]] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. If the argument command ... is given, script will run the specified command with an optional argument vector instead of an interactive shell. Options: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -k Log keys sent to program as well as output. -q Run in quiet mode, omit the start and stop status messages. -t time Specify time interval between flushing script output file. A value of 0 causes script to flush for every character I/O event. The default interval is 30 seconds. The script ends when the forked shell (or command) exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. The script utility works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen. The results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal, not an addressable one. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
The script utility places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. It is not possible to specify a command without also naming the script file because of argument parsing compatibility issues. When running in -k mode, echo cancelling is far from ideal. The slave terminal mode is checked for ECHO mode to check when to avoid manual echo logging. This does not work when in a raw mode where the program being run is doing manual echo. BSD
June 6, 1993 BSD