Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Writing Script to Copy Newest Directory Post 302576816 by Keriderf on Saturday 26th of November 2011 02:57:29 PM
Old 11-26-2011
Writing Script to Copy Newest Directory

I am trying to write a script that once executed it will search within a directory and copy only the newest directory that has not been copied before to a new location. Kind of like what ROBOCOPY /M does in windows?

The directories are not left in the new location so using a sync action won't really work.

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to cd into newest (dated) FTP directory

I have written the following simple bash script. It logs onto an FTP site and then CDs into a directory that corresponds to the last business day. So for example the directory I would access today is 20060110 (2006 jan 10). I am currently taking today's date and subtracting 1, putting this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: steved
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

writing script to clean up a directory

I have to do a directory clean up on several machines. The task is as follows: go to a particular directory (cd /xxx) 1. create a directory ' SCRIPTCLEANUP ' ( i KNOW IT) loop through 2. List the directory 3. if directory and start with 'DQA' leave it, 4. if directory or file move it to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaya
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script for a writing the directory structure to a file

Hi All, I am new user of shell scripting has come up with a problem. that I have a directory structure like : Home | |--------A | |----trunk | |-------A_0_1/ | | | |-------A_0_2/ | |--------B | ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhaskar_m
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding the 5 newest files in a directory

I have a folder that has new files created everyday, is there a way i can filter them so that only the 5 newest files are displayed? I'm hoping this can be done by a one liner without a script. for example my directory contains -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jun 24 08:34 file112 -rw-r--r-- 1 root... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zerofire123
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script to copy last directory

Hi, Plaese help me with perl script which copies the latest directory This is a double post. Continue at your original thread. Thanks. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shaveta
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the newest file in a directory.

I am new to shell scripting so i need some help need how to go about with this problem. I have a directory which contains files in the following format. The files are in a diretory called /incoming/external/data AA_20100806.dat AA_20100807.dat AA_20100808.dat ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ziggy25
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

copy result of ls -ltrh script into a different directory

i have a working bash script to list filename from multiple directories. Would you know how can i copy the result of ls -ltrh into a different directory? sample: ls -ltrh /dir1 /dir1/dir2 |grep $KEYWORD thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

error in sh script while copy files to a backup directory

I am trying to copy files from one directory to another using shell script. Can anyone please troubleshoot the code. thanks in advance... #!C:\Shell\sh.exe files_dir="C:\Documents and Settings\scripts\files" backup_dir="C:\Documents and Settings\scripts\ztest" echo cding to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshcisco
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Poll Directory and Copy files

Hi all, I'm looking for a script to poll a specified directory and copy new files to another location. The script should only copy new files so, I based on mtime I guess? Can anyone point me in the right direction of a script which could do this? My scripting skills aren't too bad, but... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JayC89
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy the newest file from a different server to your home server.

Hi all, So I am on server 1, and I want to grab the newest file from a particular directory on server 2, and place this in a directory on server 1. I am trying to use: ls -tr | tail -1 This works, and gets me the newest file in a particular directory. Using svn `ls -tr | tail -1` etc I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lexx87
1 Replies
createhomedir(1)					    BSD General Commands Manual 					  createhomedir(1)

NAME
createhomedir -- create and populate home directories on the local computer. SYNOPSIS
createhomedir [-scbalh] [-n directoryDomainName] [-u username] DESCRIPTION
createhomedir provides several options for creating and populating home directories. OPTIONS
-s creates home directories for server home paths only (default). -c creates home directories for local home paths only. -b creates home directories for both server and local home paths. -a creates home directories for users defined in all directory domains of the server's search path. -l creates home directories for users defined in the local directory domain. -L causes the created home directory to be localized. -n directoryDomainName creates home directories for users defined in a specific directory domain in the server's search path. -u username creates a home directory for a specific user defined in the domain(s) identified in the -a, -l, or -n parameter. If you omit the -a, -l, and -n parameters when you use the -u parameter, -a is assumed. -i reads username list from standard input and creates specified home directories. Each username should be on its own line. -h usage help. FILES
/usr/sbin/createhomedir location of tool CAVEATS
When using the -a option, search limits of various directory servers (such as Open Directory or Active Directory) can prevent all possible home directories from being created. In this case, you may need to specify the usernames explicitly. Mac OS X May 31, 2019 Mac OS X