Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting check if one string comes before another Post 302576763 by vanessafan99 on Saturday 26th of November 2011 07:31:08 AM
Old 11-26-2011
thanks
im not sure about the first one, it doesnt work when the pattern occurs more than once

ill try the second one

---------- Post updated at 07:25 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:23 AM ----------

what does the {f++} mean?

---------- Post updated at 07:29 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:25 AM ----------

does the exit mean that it exits the program? its part of a program so it should be running still

---------- Post updated at 07:31 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:29 AM ----------

its not working
it doesnt detect it as true when the pattern exists

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check a string in the variable

hi, I have a variable var1 as follows in the script. var1="one two three desformat=PDF xyz" I would like to check whether $var1 has a string "desformat=PDF" or not. Is there any command I can use (not need to creat a file)? Currently, I am using this: if ( grep "desformat=PDF"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: josephwong
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

read string, check string length and cut

Hello All, Plz help me with: I have a csv file with data separated by ',' and optionally enclosed by "". I want to check each of these values to see if they exceed the specified string length, and if they do I want to cut just that value to the max length allowed and keep the csv format as it... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ozzy80
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to check string of character

how can i check whether variable contains only character from a-z or A-Z....if my variable contains any alpha numeric, numeric or any character with some special one i.e. *%&@! etcetera etcetera....then it should show me please enter only characters...... Let my variable var1="abc77}|" then... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas_ranjan
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

check if a variable contains a string

hi I have an if condition that states: if ; then exit how to translate this? $x is a path $y is a string that comes at the end of the path thx (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

check if a string is numeric

I checked all the previous threads related to this and tried this. My input is all numbers or decimals greater than zero everytime. I want to check the same in the korn shell script. Just validate the string to be numeric. This is what I am doing. var="12345" if ) -o "$var" !=... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: megha2525
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

A nice way to check a string

Guys, I need some advice on how to check a string, which may or may not have a entry.. Never really worked out how to do this.. May be a good time to learn now. This is what i am trying to do Run a command, to return a string If the string is not empty , then run the if statement,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junes
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check file for string existence before appending it with string

I want to append file with a string but before doing that i want to check if this string already exist in that file.I tried with grep on Solaris 10 but unsuccessful.Man pages from grep seems to suggest if the string is found command status will be 0 and if not 1.But i am not finding it.May be i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sahil_shine
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check for rows with particular string

Hi. The data file is as below: 2000922111111100232091212098324.... 2123011230912832094820943684896.... 3435983453409583405938453049583.... . . . I need to get only the rows that match my criteria. For example: those at characters 5-10 should equal to "922111" (thus getting only the 1st... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: daytripper1021
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cant check empty string

Hello So i have that script collection, in which i have a single script to create a configuration file. In there, i have multiple occourences of something like this: prj_title=$(tui-read "What is the TITLE? ($prj_name):") ] && prj_title="${prj_name/_/ }" They all work as expected, if... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
5 Replies
set_color(1)							       fish							      set_color(1)

NAME
set_color - set_color - set the terminal color set_color - set the terminal color Synopsis set_color [-v --version] [-h --help] [-b --background COLOR] [COLOR] Description Change the foreground and/or background color of the terminal. COLOR is one of black, red, green, brown, yellow, blue, magenta, purple, cyan, white and normal. o -b, --background Set the background color o -c, --print-colors Prints a list of all valid color names o -h, --help Display help message and exit o -o, --bold Set bold or extra bright mode o -u, --underline Set underlined mode o -v, --version Display version and exit Calling set_color normal will set the terminal color to whatever is the default color of the terminal. Some terminals use the --bold escape sequence to switch to a brighter color set. On such terminals, set_color white will result in a grey font color, while set_color --bold white will result in a white font color. Not all terminal emulators support all these features. This is not a bug in set_color but a missing feature in the terminal emulator. set_color uses the terminfo database to look up how to change terminal colors on whatever terminal is in use. Some systems have old and incomplete terminfo databases, and may lack color information for terminals that support it. Download and install the latest version of ncurses and recompile fish against it in order to fix this issue. Version 1.23.1 Sun Jan 8 2012 set_color(1)