Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting file renaming with if else clause Post 302576703 by cfajohnson on Friday 25th of November 2011 04:41:12 PM
Old 11-25-2011
Code:
for file in *
do
  case $file in
    *.jpg) ;; ## do nothing
    *) mv "$file" "$file.txt" ;;
  esac
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming a file name

I have an audit log that is produced each day from a production printer. It names the file using todays date, but it removes the leading zero's. For example: todays date 060104 names the file 6104.txt. I ftp this file onto a Sun box and pull stats off of it. To keep some consistency to what I am... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbrundrett
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

if clause

hi, pls could you help me with one program in KSH ( i have sunOS). I need to create an If clause, that prints an error message and filenames, when in a directory are found some files of null size (find . -type f -size 0 ). thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: palmer18
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

file renaming

How can I rename files named like these iq - 000001 - 2008.07.31 - 14.49.47 - location1.bin iq - 000001 - 2008.07.31 - 14.49.47 - location12.bin iq - 000008 - 2008.07.31 - 14.52.01 - location500.bin to iq_2008.07.31_14.49.47_location1.bin iq_2008.07.31_14.49.47_location12.bin... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: larne
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming a file

Hai masters, Suppose i have so many files named xxxx.ksh.tar, yyyy.ksh.tar and so on. My requirement : i want to rename all the files with extension ".ksh.tar" to ".tar" in my directory. Could you please tell me the solution for this.. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ecearund
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash-Shell: If-Clause to check if file is empty

Hello, I want to checkl whether my file has text in it or not. if ; then ... if ; then ... But none of these work Can someone help me? ---------- Post updated at 09:00 AM ---------- Previous update was at 08:55 AM ---------- The code-tags caused an displayerror,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ABE2202
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming a file use another file as a sequence calling a shl

have this shl that will FTP a file from the a directory in windows to UNIX, It get the name of the file stored in this variable $UpLoadFileName then put in the local directory LocalDir="${MPATH}/xxxxx/dat_files" that part seems to be working, but then I need to take that file and rename, I am using... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rechever
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

File renaming from list of names contained in another file

I have to rename a large number of files so that the name of each file corresponds to a code number that is given side by side in a list (textfile). The list contains in column A the filename of the actual files to be renamed and in column B the name (a client code, 9 digits) that has to be... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: netfreighter
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with Renaming a file

I have a file named as Pro_PatAct_MMDDYYYY.csv. I need to renmae it to this Pro_PatAct.csv without the date timestamp. Can someone help me to achieve this using a regular expn. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: imran_affu
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming file and check for the renamed file existence

Hi Am trying to move a file from one name to another When I do "ls" to check for the moved filename I can see the file but when I try the same with a script am unable.. I think am doing some pretty silly error.. please help.. toMove=`ls | grep -E "partition.+"` mv $toMove partition._org... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Oracle 11g script read from file in where clause (RHEL 5.7)

Hi everyone, Simple question. I have a comma-delimited file, aux.txt, with the following contents (all in one line): 'value1','value2','value3',...,'valueN' I would like to know if there's a way I can use that file inside a sql script in a where clause, like so: select myfield1 from mytable... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gacanepa
6 Replies
XCLIP-COPYFILE(1)					      General Commands Manual						 XCLIP-COPYFILE(1)

NAME
xclip-copyfile, xclip-cutfile, xclip-pastefile - copy and move files via the X clipboard SYNOPSIS
xclip-copyfile [-p] FILES... xclip-cutfile [-p] FILES... xclip-pastefile DESCRIPTION
xclip-copyfile copies files into the X clipboard, recursing into directories. xclip-cutfile copies the files, but also deletes them afterwards. -p preserve path formation xclip-pastefile pastes the files out of the clipboard EXAMPLES
Copying a file to a remote host [maggie.lkpg.cendio.se ~]$ echo "A file created on ${HOSTNAME}" > file1 [maggie.lkpg.cendio.se ~]$ xclip-copyfile file1 [sofie.homeip.net ~/doc]$ xclip-pastefile file1 [sofie.homeip.net ~/doc]$ cat file1 A file created on maggie.lkpg.cendio.se Copying an entire tree structure [sofie.homeip.net ~]$ xclip-copyfile doc [maggie.lkpg.cendio.se ~/tmp]$ xclip-pastefile doc/ doc/letter-mom-april.txt doc/file1 doc/letter-dad-march.txt Copying files with preserved path information [maggie.lkpg.cendio.se ~]$ xclip-copyfile -p /etc/sysconfig/grub tar: Removing leading `/' from member names [sofie.homeip.net ~/tmp]$ xclip-pastefile etc/sysconfig/grub [sofie.homeip.net ~/tmp]$ ls etc/sysconfig/grub etc/sysconfig/grub Moving files [sofie.homeip.net ~]$ ls letter-brother-may.txt letter-brother-may.txt [sofie.homeip.net ~]$ xclip-cutfile letter-brother-may.txt [sofie.homeip.net ~]$ ls letter-brother-may.txt ls: cannot access letter-brother-may.txt: No such file or directory [sofie.homeip.net ~]$ cd doc [sofie.homeip.net ~/doc]$ xclip-pastefile letter-brother-may.txt AUTHORS
This manual page was written by Maximilian Gass <mxey@cloudconnected.org> for the Debian project. It may be used for everything else, of course. XCLIP-COPYFILE(1)