Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replacing individual characters with a pattern. Post 302576319 by CarloM on Thursday 24th of November 2011 09:35:42 AM
Old 11-24-2011
Another variation:
Code:
#  cat x.txt
Truth be told, this is the =closest
 I've =ever =gotten to a =college =graduation.
# awk '{for (i=1;i<=NF;i++) { if ($i ~ /^=/) { $i=substr($i,2); gsub ("[[:alpha:]]","__ ", $i) }} print}' x.txt
Truth be told, this is the __ __ __ __ __ __ __
I've __ __ __ __  __ __ __ __ __ __  to a __ __ __ __ __ __ __  __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ .

These 2 Users Gave Thanks to CarloM For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

replacing few characters in a file

Hi All, I have huge xml file. The file contains some comment tags . I have requirement to replace comment tag with another comment tag. Say for example : file X has -- Part of the file <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-2"?><translationResults jobDate="20070123 23:20:51"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: purnakarthik
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

replacing characters

Hi, I have a script for replacing bad characters in filenames for f in *; do mv $f `echo $f | tr '+' '_'` done; this replaces + for _ But I need to replace all bad characters ? / % + to _ Pls how can i do this in one script ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: palmer18
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing characters

hi all I have a file that has sone spaces in start then / at last. i want to get rid of this. how to do? eg. 11414/ 49878/ 27627/ I WANT THE FILE AS 11414 49878 27627 PLEASE HELP (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: infyanurag
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing Characters

Hi All, I have a file which is delimeted with the character '. i need to replace this character with the same character and also a new line. Can anyone please help me with the tr command for this. Many thanks Karan (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: karansachdeva
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing Characters with |

Hi All, example data.log 526569346 66815531961 09 526569346 66815531961 09 526569346 66815531961 09 526569346 66815531961 09 526569346 66815531961 09 I want like this to 526569346|66815531961|09 526569346|66815531961|09... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ooilinlove
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing characters

Hi fellow experts, I have a question for you. Data looks like: 00877,05/13/2010,PBO,P,0000708331,518 00877,05/13/2010,PBO,P,0000708331,519 ... ... 00877,05/13/2010,PBO,P,0000708331,2103 00877,05/13/2010,PBO,P,0000708331,2104,etc,etc Basically I have to replace 518,519,2103,2104,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devski123
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing Complex Characters in vi

ok, so i have a number of commands like the below in a script: /usr/bin/awk "/ I need to replace the bolded with "^\ but i'm having tremendous difficulties accomplishing this. This needs to be done in vi. can someone please help me out? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replacing specific characters and control characters by escaping

sed -e "s// /g" old.txt > new.txt While I do know some control characters need to be escaped, can normal characters also be escaped and still work the same way? Basically I do not know all control characters that have a special meaning, for example, ?, ., % have a meaning and have to be escaped... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ijustneeda
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing a pattern in different cases in different columns with a single pattern

Hi All I am having pipe seperated inputs like Adam|PeteR|Josh|PEter Nick|Rave|Simon|Paul Steve|smith|PETER|Josh Andrew|Daniel|StAlin|peter Rick|PETer|ADam|RAVE i want to repleace all the occurrence of peter (in any case pattern PeteR,PEter,PETER,peter,PETer) with Peter so that output... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudeep.id
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the pattern and replacing the pattern inside the file

i have little challenge, help me out.i have a file where i have a value declared and and i have to replace the value when called. for example i have the value for abc and ccc. now i have to substitute the value of value abc and ccc in the place of them. Input File: go to &abc=ddd; if... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: saaisiva
16 Replies
fmt(1)							      General Commands Manual							    fmt(1)

NAME
fmt - Formats mail messages prior to sending SYNOPSIS
fmt [-width] file... DESCRIPTION
The fmt command reads the input file or files, or standard input if no files are specified, and writes to standard output a version of the input with lines of a length as close as possible to width columns. (Because fmt is internationalized software, the number of display col- umns is not necessarily equivalent to the number of bytes.) The fmt command both joins and splits lines to achieve the desired width, but words are never joined or split; spaces are always preserved, and lines are split at spaces only. In effect, fmt ignores newline characters in the input and wraps words to make lines a close as possi- ble to width columns, resulting in individual lines of varying length but a consistent (new) text width overall. Because blank lines are always preserved, fmt does not merge paragraphs separated by blank lines. If you specify more than one file, the files are concatenated as input to fmt. If you do not specify -width, the default line length is 72 columns. Spacing at the beginning of input lines is always preserved in the output. The fmt command is generally used to format mail messages to improve their appearance before they are sent. It may also be useful, how- ever, for other simple formatting tasks. For example, when you are using vi, you can use the command :%!fmt -60 to reformat your text so that all lines are approximately 60 columns long. NOTES
The fmt command is a fast, simple formatting program. Standard text editing programs are more appropriate than fmt for complex formatting operations. Do not use the fmt command if the message contains embedded messages or preformatted information from other files. This com- mand formats the heading information in embedded messages and may change the format of preformatted information. EXAMPLES
file1 contains these lines: Australia is an island-continent, home to many very interesting plants and animals. To reformat this text to a narrower width, enter: fmt -30 file1 This results in the following, displayed on your screen: Australia is an island-continent, home to many very interesting plants and animals. To make file1 wider, enter: fmt -60 file1 This results in: Australia is an island-continent, home to many very interesting plants and animals. To format a message you have created with the mailx editor, at the left margin enter: ~|fmt After you enter the command, your message is formatted, in this case to the default line length of 72 columns, and the word continue is displayed to indicate that you can enter more information or send your message. SEE ALSO
Commands: mail(1), mailx(1), vi(1) fmt(1)