Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX [Solved] Help with a script to gzip/move files Post 302576292 by m.d.ludwig on Thursday 24th of November 2011 08:01:55 AM
Old 11-24-2011
I think the issue is identifying just the files from September:
Code:
#! /bin/ksh

BEGIN=$(mktemp)
END=$(mktemp)

trap "rm -f ${BEGIN} ${END}" EXIT

touch --date='09/01' $BEGIN
touch --date='10/01' $END

find "${SOURCEDIR}" -maxdepth 1 -type f -name '*.tap' -newer $BEGIN ! -newer $END -print \
| while read file; do
    echo "${file}"
    gzip -9 "${file}"
    mv "${file}.gz" "${DESTDIR}"
done

rm $BEGIN $END

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to move trace files

Please debug this shell script for me.. Basically the idea is to run the script, based on the command to move some trace files to a separate directory and I am getting the error. Only the COMMAND that has rm {} works and I basically want to use it for the fourth one. Please try for the 2nd, 3rd and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ST2000
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to move blank files

Anyone could give me an example of scrip to move blank files found into a dir? Thanks, Leandro Takeda (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: letakeda
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need script to move files based on name

Hi folks, I'm new here and appreciate greatly any help. I have a bunch of files that need be moved and renamed. Fortunately, they are all in sequence... Present filename and path: /.catalog1/t76038_842-01 Move to: /.catalog1/76038-01 So, we need to drop the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: axslinger
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need shell script to move files

Hi , I need a simple shell script to move the files from one directory to another directory after every 1 hour..!!! ?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SARAL SAXENA
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with a script to gzip/move files

Hi Please can you help me in writing a script to find files on a specific directory, and of extension "tap" but only of the month of september, gzip and move them to another directory. Your help will be appreciated. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script move files by name

hi, I have a lot of files named xxxxx__AA.txt, xxxxx__BB.txt, xxxxx__CC.txt and I would like to move xxxxx__AA.txt in AA directory, xxxxx__BB.txt in BB etc. Could you help me do it in bash script? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: corfuitl
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to move certain no. of files every second

Hi All, I am new to Linux/Scripting and need some assistance in coming up with a script that can move certain amount of files from one directory to other every seconds. Usercase: We have around 100k files in tmp directory on my server which needs to be moved to another folder to get... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raj1184
3 Replies
GZFORCE(1)						      General Commands Manual							GZFORCE(1)

NAME
gzforce - force a '.gz' extension on all gzip files SYNOPSIS
gzforce [ name ... ] DESCRIPTION
gzforce forces a .gz extension on all gzip files so that gzip will not compress them twice. This can be useful for files with names trun- cated after a file transfer. On systems with a 14 char limitation on file names, the original name is truncated to make room for the .gz suffix. For example, 12345678901234 is renamed to 12345678901.gz. A file name such as foo.tgz is left intact. SEE ALSO
gzip(1), gznew(1), gzmore(1), gzgrep(1), gzdiff(1), gzexe(1) ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWgzip | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | External | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for gzip is available in the SUNWgzipS package. GZFORCE(1)