Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting extract part of hostname in a script Post 302576059 by gubbu on Wednesday 23rd of November 2011 01:32:41 PM
Old 11-23-2011
extract part of hostname in a script

I need to automate something as part of post processing in a script . Each project is identified by a 3 letter string which is part of hostname and based on hostname I need to copy a particular file to that machine from my distribution .

here are hostnames

pprdifeap01.corp.host.net (where ife is the string I need ) and if so I copy /opt/distribution/ife.cfg to /usr/local/jboss/bin

pprdyamap05.corp.host.net ....if "yam" then cp /opt/distribution/yam.cfg /usr/local/jboss/bin

I have around 10 projects or so with different strings with different config files.

thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract a part of file name

Hi, I want to extract a part of filename and pass it as a parameter to one of the scripts. Could someone help. File name:- NLL_NAM_XXXXX.XXXXXXX_1_1.txt. Here i have to extract only XXXXX.XXXXXXX and the position will be constant. that means that i have to extract some n characters from... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnat
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract last part of string.

Hi, I have a string like this BUNDLE=/home/bob/flx/user.bun how to extract only the the last part ie, only user.bun (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vprasads
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract one part from whole output

Hi All, I am trying to write a small shell programming to get db2 database size info. The command I am going to use is- db2 "CALL GET_DBSIZE_INFO(?, ?, ?, -1)" and the output of above command generally is- Value of output parameters -------------------------- Parameter Name :... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: NARESH1302
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to extract a certain part of a line

Hi friends, I want to select and use the certain part of a line. For example I have the following line home/1245/hgdf/acsdf/myhome/afolder/H2O/endfile how can I extract the part " /myhome/afolder/H2O/endfile " thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpf
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with extract particular part of data

Input file <data> <temporary>qe2qrqerq qwewqeqwrqwrq qrerwrewrwer </temporary> </data> <sample>@!@##%#</sample> <info>12345</info> <content>2313214141454</content> <data> <temporary>qe2qrqerq qrerwrewrwer </temporary> <content>123214214523</content> </data>... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract part of a string

I have a file with 100s of lines of text. I want to perform an extraction of this line: Info bpzs(pid=2652) using 1000 bits I have not been able to extract it. Should I try expr match or is there another method? This line has data both in front of and in back of it. I do not have grep -o... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract hostname from file using awk?

Hi iam having file with below lines of text pun-ras-bng-mhs-01#cont bsnl.in enk-ras-bng-cse-01#cont bsnl.in how to extract the host name and store in a variable and to print output using awk command output will be HOSTNAME pun-ras-bng-mhs-01 enk-ras-bng-cse-01 Tnx in advance. (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: surender reddy
13 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need help to extract part of the string

Hi, I have a string with name as 20140412-s1-Potopolive_promos_20140412. So I want to extract only Potopolive string. Could you please help me the command. O/p : Potopolive Thx in advance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lkeswar
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substr/Instr in shell script or extract part of text

Hi, I need to extract part of a text to two variables text is "PL/SQL procedure successfully completed. ERROR ----------------------------------------------------------------- Test Error Message PLUSVAR ---------- 1" I want "Test Error Message" in one variable and "1" in another variable.... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: vedavrath
11 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Extract part of $USER in script

I need to be able to say "My name is $USER' when I use echo it work, when I use printf it print more 'my last name@.........'. How can I get just the part before the @ sign. I have to use printf. using UNIX. ------ Post updated at 01:17 PM ------ I used the activation code but I still... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sheltie042
2 Replies
HOSTNAME(5)							   /etc/hostname						       HOSTNAME(5)

NAME
hostname - Local host name configuration file SYNOPSIS
/etc/hostname DESCRIPTION
The /etc/hostname file configures the name of the local system that is set during boot, with the sethostname(2) system call. It should contain a single newline-terminated host name string. The host name may be a free-form string up to 64 characters in length, however it is recommended that it consists only of 7bit ASCII lower-case characters and no spaces or dots, and limits itself to the format allowed for DNS domain name labels, even though this is not a strict requirement. Depending on the operating system other configuration files might be checked for configuration of the host name as well, however only as fallback. HISTORY
The simple configuration file format of /etc/hostname originates from Debian GNU/Linux. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), sethostname(2), hostname(1), hostname(7), machine-id(5), machine-info(5) AUTHOR
Lennart Poettering <lennart@poettering.net> Developer systemd 10/07/2013 HOSTNAME(5)