Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting command to grep the variable from file Post 302575880 by thanhdat on Wednesday 23rd of November 2011 06:17:00 AM
Old 11-23-2011
To grep the variable, you can do :
Code:
var=`awk -F'=' '/IAGLOBAL_USERID/{sub(/[ \t]+$/, ""); print $2}' $NCO/response_uid.txt`

Last edited by thanhdat; 11-23-2011 at 08:50 AM.. Reason: space

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep from a file variable

I am wanting to test the output from a script. If the out put = Object does not exist. I need to delete the output file. I am using , filecontents=`grep -i Object does not exist. $1.txt` then I test the variable with, if ; then delete file But I get an error, grep: can't open... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagannatha
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign subst|grep|sed command result to a variable

Hi, I'm quite new to scripting and I want to modify following line of an existing script: MYVAR=`subst |grep 'L:\\\:' | sed -e 's/.*\\\//'`; What I have to do is to use the content of a variable instead of the constant expression 'L:\\\:' as the grep string to be matched. Assuming I already... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: snowbiker99
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to store grep command in a Variable

I have a variable A echo $A 5060 I am exporting the value X,Y,Z and it id fetching right thing and When I run C=`${X} -l ${Y} ${Z} "trap '' INT;. ~/.profile >/dev/null 2>/dev/null; netstat -na | grep \$A`" here it is going to same directory and also running netstat -na | grep 5060 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhusmita
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

read in variable data from another file - grep

Hello! I think this should be an easy solution. I have a large file with many fields of data. The first field has a unique identifier (a subject number) for every record for a chunk of data. Something like this: There were ten experimental conditions (ec), but the ec is identified by only... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccox85
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep to return a code from accessing variable file name

All I want to do is find out if the string 'NO' is in a file by checking for a return code of 0 if there is a match. The grep works fine on the command line directly naming the file but I am obviously not using the correct syntax within the shell script as I consistently get the error message ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SusanDAC
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep Variable From File

Hey guys, I'm attempting to compare the contents of two files that are not identical on a Solaris 10 box. We are under audit and I need to do some comparisons of our application accounts with our unix accounts. I essentially want to pull a line from one file and search the second for an equal... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kaledragule
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

(BASH) Using a loop variable to grep something in a file?

Hi, I have a loop running until a variable L that is read previously in the full script. I'd like to grep some information in an input file at a line that contains the value of the loop parameter $i. I've tried to use grep, but the problem is nothing is written in the FILE files. It seems grep... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: DMini
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Directing cat or grep command in variable

Hi, I still have the problem with directing information from cat or grep to a variable. For instance: XMSG "$(date +%Y_%m_%d)_error_report.txt" "$(cat "$(date +%Y_%m_%d)_error_report.txt")" &Works! The text received by cat is directed to my function. If it is written like this, my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: haukee
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep command to find string in Variable in file2

Hi , I am executing 2 queries and output is saved in file1.txt and file2.txt example of file1.txt Testing word Doc.docx,/Lab/Development and Validation/Multitest/MT_010708/Testing,Development and Validation,root,11-Mar-2014,,,,, Testing Excel _.xlsx,/Lab/Development and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sunil Mathapati
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue using empty variable in grep command

Hi, I'm writing a shell script and trying to grep a variable value, it works fine as long as there is a value in /tmp/list.out which is captured in $DSK but sometimes the file tends to be empty and that is where I'm having an issue while using grep which returns nothing. I know I can use something... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbak
15 Replies
ZGREP(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)