Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting forking question myscript vs . myscript vs exec myscript Post 302575738 by jlim0930 on Tuesday 22nd of November 2011 04:49:05 PM
Old 11-22-2011
forking question myscript vs . myscript vs exec myscript

I have a question about the following

what is the difference between running myscript vs . myscript vs exec myscript ?

I know that when you just run myscript it will fork a child process and run the script and exits.

What does the . myscript and exec myscript do and why is it different and needed ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Forking

When I compile this C programme I get different outputs each time I run it Please explain to me whats happening in the code if you can give me a detailed explanation with the schedular functionality it will help a lot. Because I am stuck with this. #include <stdio.h> main(){... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manjuWicky
3 Replies

2. Solaris

question on -exec

I am having a brain fart. I have a few potential work-arounds, but the fact that I can't get this string to work is urking me. nodes: machine1 machine2 #uname -a blah blah blah solaris 5.9 machine1 :) #pwd /log/arch find . ! -newer filename -exec 'rcp -p machine2:/log/arch' {} \;... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: PINGWIN CODER
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with forking

Hi, my $log = IO::File->new(">$log_file_name"); $log->print("date()."--\n\n\n"); sub process { my ($sub_dir, $file, $config, $log) = @_; $log->print("-- Reading $file file\n"); } my $pm = new Parallel::ForkManager($tc+1); $pm->run_on_finish( sub { my ($pid, $exit_code,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sandy1028
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie question-do I pause and exec my shell scripts?

Hi there, I'm writing a script to restore 3 directories and 3 mysql db's every 24 hours. While writing the script, I came across the thought... Do I need to pause between executions? Example: msql restore1.sql rm -Rf path1/* cp -Rf path1/* /restore1 chmod 777 /folder1/cache1 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: semiotics101
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference Between executing llike ./myscript.ksh and . ./myscript.ksh

Hi , What is the diffence between executing the script like ./myscript.ksh . ./myscript.ksh I have found 2 difference but could not find the reason 1. If i export a variable in myscript.ksh and execute it like . ./myscript.ksh the i can access the other scripts that are present in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: max_hammer
5 Replies

6. Programming

Newbie question on exec,fork, wait,pipe C

Hello everybody.I want to make clear that i am not going to ask from anybody to build my asignement but i have a big problem. I can't seem to find anywhere ONE good example on C about what i am trying to do:wall:.I think it is simple. All i ask is one example, even a link is fine. So, i want to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Cuervo
1 Replies

7. Programming

need help in forking

I have an input file with contents like: 5785690|68690|898809 7960789|89709|789789 7669900|87865|659708 7869098|65769|347658 so on.. I need to pass this file to 10 parallely running processes (forking)so that each line is processed by a process and no line is processed twice and write the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rkrish
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

A question on "exec" command

The following is my bash script ----------------------- #!/bin/bash exec myscript "$@" ----------------------- When invoked, the script "myscript" in the exec command is using the file "/usr/bin/diff" But, I want the script "myscript"to use the file "/home/bin/diff" How can I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bsoo
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script Variables Inquiry, Values Okay in Standalone Exec, No-Show in Cron Exec

I have the following bash script lines in a file named test.sh. #!/bin/bash # # Write Date to cron.log # echo "Begin SSI Load $(date +%d%b%y_%T)" # # Get the latest rates file for processing. # d=$(ls -tr /rms/data/ssi | grep -v "processed" | tail -n 1) filename=$d export filename... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ginowms
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Question about global environment variables & fork() exec()

Hello... And thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer me on my question! I've been doing a lot of reading to try and find my answer... But I haven't had any luck What I'm trying to understand is where a child process inherits global environment variables from? I understand the exec()... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bodisha
2 Replies