Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: put script into file
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers put script into file Post 302574801 by vbe on Friday 18th of November 2011 10:45:03 AM
Old 11-18-2011
Quote:
can u change that code to not be displayed just put to file ?
Have you tested ?

Not wise to ask before having tested given solution...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Script to search a bad record in a file then put the record in the bad file

I need to write a script that can find a bad record (for example: there is date field colom but value provided in the file for this field is N/A) then script shoud searches this pattern and then insert the whole record into the bad file. Example: File1 Name designation dateOfJoining... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shilendrajadon
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to search a bad record in a file then put the record in the bad file

I need to write a script that can find a bad record (for example: there is date field colom but value provided in the file for this field is N/A) then script shoud searches this pattern and then insert the whole record into the bad file. Example: File1 Name designation dateOfJoining... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shilendrajadon
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where should I put the script?

Hi Guys, I'm a new to the UNIX. Let say I have a 1 simple script to stop and start vnc service. I want to use that script for support because my network connection to my client side is not stable and every time I have to use a long command to restart vnc. Where should I put that script?... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: akuslive
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ftp put in shell script -- whole file doesn't upload

Hi I'm having some trouble with a bash shell script that I'm writing. In the script, I'm trying to upload a file to a backup repository using ftp, but the whole file doesn't get uploaded. This is the file's properties at the start (I've highlighted the file size in red): -rw-r--r-- 1 root... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Viola
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Could I put this into a case script instead?

Hi guys, I have a script which clears down a range of directories, however it can take a while to run. Is there a way I can simplify the below, perhaps adding it into a case statement? client_directories=/usr/local/production/cleanup/bin/client_cleanups/client_directories.txt # clear down... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JayC89
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to put data using shell script to a excel file

Hi, Can any one tell me how to put data using shell script to a excel file from text file to other columns of excel file,leaving first column unaffected i.e it should not overwrite data in first column. Say my text file data is: 15-dec-2008 15-dec-2009 16-dec-2008 16-dec-2009 say my first... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siri_886
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to put block comment after finding regex in xml file

hi, i need my bash script to find regex in xml file.. and comment 2 lines before and after the line that contains regex.. can't use # needs to be <!-- at the beginning and --> and the end of the comment. so eg.. first block <filter> <filter-name>MyRegEx</filter-name> ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Poki
11 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

put data in excel file using shell script

Hi. I wish to add data in a specific excel file on daily basis.However the currect dat's data should always come on top i.e for example should always occupy cell A7,B7,C7 .. and the data of day before which was earlier on 7th row of each coloumn should move to 8th row..data on 8th row should... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kanus
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

i writing a unix script but i want to out put a file and append on it.

i have an existing script that is used to send an e-mail containing the alrams that appear on the server. But i need to create a daily log file containing all the alarms that was send that day. i tired to add at the and of the script a command, echo command but for some reason the file was... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ashraf_victory
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to put delimiter for a no delimiter variable length text file

Hi, I have a No Delimiter variable length text file with following schema - Column Name Data length Firstname 5 Lastname 5 age 3 phoneno1 10 phoneno2 10 phoneno3 10 sample data - ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gaurav Martha
16 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1p) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   SHELL-QUOTE(1p)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.8.4 2005-05-03 SHELL-QUOTE(1p)