Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Ignore the 255 character limit of command line Post 302574712 by CarloM on Friday 18th of November 2011 06:13:08 AM
Old 11-18-2011
Why not just pass the file directly to sed?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command line buffer limit?

Is there a limit (255 chars?) on the command line?? I'm trying to copy some generated java & class files from one dir to another and ID the old & new versions by: find . -name FFSFIXADminCallbackBean.java I then do a copy and paste of the source and target - $ cp -p source target It... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kornshellmaven
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I ignore one character in a case statement? PLEASE HELP!

Hello, I am new to this forums. I need help with shell, and ksh in particular. I have a case statement that does something if -k. So it looks like: case $arg in -k) PUT=y, SEND=1 Thats all good and dandy. But now I want to change it where whether or not the user puts -k or not, it will do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cpunisher
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command Character size limit in the "sh" and "bourne" shell

Hi!!.. I would like to know what is maximum character size for a command in the "sh" or "bourne" shell? Thanks in advance.. Roshan. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Roshan1286
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo !SR | nc 255.255.2.2 80 - how to in XP?

Hi guys I am trying to interface with an old industrial scanner through an old PC with an old network card and a copy of Linux. It now needs to speak to a Windows XP machine, but I have no idea what the Windows equivalent of these functions would are: echo !1 | nc 255.255.2.2 80 echo ?2 | nc... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TonyG
3 Replies

5. Solaris

8 character limit for ipcs command , any way to increase # of chars ?

Hello All, We have a working script which identifies and kills ipcs resources which havent been correctly killed during normal shutdowns. It is working fine and dandy however there are some issues now. Environment: SunOS 5.10 Generic_148888-03 sun4u sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: icalderus
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep command to ignore line starting with hyphen

Hi, I want to read a file line by line and exclude the lines that are beginning with special characters. The below code is working fine except when the line starts with hyphen (-) in the file. for TEST in `cat $FILE | grep -E -v '#|/+' | awk '{FS=":"}NF > 0{print $1}'` do . . done How... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Srinraj Rao
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed 255 Character Limitation

Hello, I am using sed command to place a comma dynamically in certain positions. When the position variable exceeds 255 characters, it errors out. I would appreciate if someone can point in the correct direction sed 's/^\(.\{'"$pos"'\}\)./\1,/' ragha.txt > ragha3.txt If $pos > 255,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ragha81
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Spliting a line after 255 characters.

Hi Guys, I have a file which contains multiple lines. I need to split each line 255 characters and then I need to add call statement in the front and semi colon at the end. I/P: call sp_rebuildindex('aaa.aaa','column column column column column column column column column column ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Booo
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to put a 80 character limit on a long topic line in markdown?

I have a topic line in markdown that spans more than 80 characters that i need to add a line break. Markdown is simply treating the line break as a brand new line instead of continuing as a topic line. Eg: # This is a very long line Markdown interprets it as This is a very long line (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dragonpoint
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Single line archive log files command if exceed certain limit in Linux

Hello Guys, Is there a single line archive command to zip or tar log files which is larger than certain size limit ? Do let me know if there is any. Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: UnknownGuy
7 Replies
SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					       SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-subst - GNU shtool sed(1) substitution operations SYNOPSIS
shtool subst [-v|--verbose] [-t|--trace] [-n|--nop] [-w|--warning] [-q|--quiet] [-s|--stealth] [-i|--interactive] [-b|--backup ext] [-e|--exec cmd] [-f|--file cmd-file] [file] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
This command applies one or more sed(1) substitution operations to stdin or any number of files. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -v, --verbose Display some processing information. -t, --trace Enable the output of the essential shell commands which are executed. -n, --nop No operation mode. Actual execution of the essential shell commands which would be executed is suppressed. -w, --warning Show warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change on every file. The default is to show a warning on substitution operations resulted in no content change on all files. -q, --quiet Suppress warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change. -s, --stealth Stealth operation. Preserve timestamp on file. -i, --interactive Enter interactive mode where the user has to approve each operation. -b, --backup ext Preserve backup of original file using file name extension ext. Default is to overwrite the original file. -e, --exec cmd Specify sed(1) command directly. -f, --file cmd-file Read sed(1) command from file. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool subst -i -e 's;(c) ([0-9]*)-2000;(c) 1-2001;' *.[ch] # RPM spec-file %install shtool subst -v -n -e 's;^(prefix=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix};g' -e 's;^(sysconfdir=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix}/etc;g' `find . -name Makefile -print` make install HISTORY
The GNU shtool subst command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 2001 for GNU shtool. It was prompted by the need to have a uniform and convenient patching frontend to sed(1) operations in the OpenPKG package specifications. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), sed(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)