Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting rename numbered files to numbered files with leading zeroes Post 302574578 by pau on Thursday 17th of November 2011 03:31:51 PM
Old 11-17-2011
rename numbered files to numbered files with leading zeroes

Hi,

I have some hundreds/thousands of files named logX.dat, where X can be any integer, and they are sequential, X ranges between 1 and any number:

log1.dat log2.dat log3.dat log6.dat log10.dat ... log6000.dat

I would like to rename them to

scatter_params_0001.dat scatter_params_0002.dat scatter_params_0003.dat scatter_params_0006.dat scatter_params_0010.dat scatter_params_6000.dat

Note that in the scatter files I need them with leading zeroes, which are absent in the original log files.

Any help will be appreciated.

thanks

Pau

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting numbered variables

Normally I would post in the shell scripting area, but this is so basic I thought I'd best put it in the dummy area! I want to set a series of numbered variables. I have a loop which increments a variable called $i with each loop. I want to name variables with this number e.g. var1, var2, var3... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: michaeltravisuk
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

loop through numbered filenames

Hi I'm very new to this script thing, so please be gentle. I am trying to get a command - the mach2qtl command in the code below - to loop through a set of files. Each command should take the same two .dat and .ped files, but the .mlinfo and .mlprob files with filenames including 'chrom1' ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: polly_falconer
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete first number of even-numbered lines

Hello ! I am trying to delete a number from the even-numbered lines of a pipeline after having extracted and sorted the desired data from an original text file using sed... sed -r 's/\(*\)*\((*)\),*,*,(*)*: * \w*\=(*).*/\3,\1/g' | sort -n then the data looks like : Now, I am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ShellBeginner
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Listing even numbered files

Hi All, Could you please help in this case? Case: there's a directory 'CKMDB' in this directory, there are 30 files named in this manner 1.txt 2.txt 3.txt .... 30.txt Could you please guide me how to list only even numbered files like 2.txt... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: xsam
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with generating m3u files in numbered directories

Hello: First, I have no idea what to search for on this task, so I'll just spell it out. I have the Bible in Audio format and each book is in a directory of it's own. 01 to 66 accordingly. I need a script to walk through each of them and ls *.mp3 > directory|book.m3u without the preceding... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Habitual
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

join files with numbered index

Hi all I´m a newbie so maybe this question will make someone mad. I am trying this command; join -a1 -11 file1 file2 > file3 file1 looks like: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 file2: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: awe1
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

renaming numbered files

Hi there, I've got a set of files that are named as follows: image_N1_8letters.jpg image_N2_8letters.jpg ... image_N10_8letters.jpg image_N11_8letters.jpg .... image_N100_8letters.jpg image_N101_8letters.jpg with the "8letters" bit always consisting of 8 but always different... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kjartan
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to extract data from numbered files using linux in the numerical order-

Hi experts, I have a list of files containing forces as the only number as follows. Force1.txt Force2.txt Force3.txt Force4.txt Force5.txt . . . . . . . . . Force100.txt I want to put all the data(only a number ) in these forces files in the file with the same order like 1,2,3 ..100 .... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hamnsan
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Scripting - Select multiple files from numbered list

I am trying to have the user select two files from a numbered list which will eventually be turned into a variable then combined. This is probably something simple and stupid that I am doing. clear echo "Please Select the Show interface status file" select FILE1 in *; echo "Please Select the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dis0wned
3 Replies
UNKNOWN(1)						      General Commands Manual							UNKNOWN(1)

NAME
unknown - identify possible genotypes for unknowns SYNOPSIS
A program to rapidly identify which genotypes are possible for individuals typed as unknowns in the input pedigree. unknown [ -cl ] DESCRIPTION
unknown infers possible genotypes and mating combinations for parents with unknown genotypes for ilink(1), mlink(1) and linkmap(1). OPTIONS
-c Use conditional allele frequencies. -l Choose a good set of loop breakers automatically. RETURN VALUE
0 Successful completion ERRORS
10 File not found 255 Failure EXAMPLES
Normally, unknown(1) is run immediately prior to its sister programs, ilink(1), mlink(1) and linkmap(1), like this: unknown mlink FILES
unknown(1) reads the two files pedfile.dat and datafile.dat as its own input and produces various temporary files that are used as input to the next program. These temporary files are ipedfile.dat, upedfile.dat, speedfile.dat and newspeedfile.dat. NOTES
unknown(1) is part of the FASTLINK package, which is a re-implementation of the LINKAGE suite of computer tools that help investigate genetic linkage as first proposed G.M. Lathrop, J.M. Lalouel, C. Julier, and J. Ott. AUTHORS
Dylan Cooper, Alejandro Schaffer, and Tony Schurtz based on work originally by Jurg Ott, Ph.D, et. al. This manual page was written by Elizabeth Barham <lizzy@soggytrousers.net> for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). WORD-WIDE-WEB http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/CBBResearch/Schaffer/fastlink.html SEE ALSO
ilink(1), linkmap(1), lodscore(1), mlink(1). April 15, 2003 UNKNOWN(1)