Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Communicate with multiple process using named pipe Post 302574521 by Corona688 on Thursday 17th of November 2011 12:17:41 PM
Old 11-17-2011
Create two named pipes with mkfifo("pipename", 0660);

Open them with
Code:
int readfd=open("pipename", O_RDONLY);

Code:
int writefd=open("pipename", O_WRONLY);

Be sure to open them in the same order in both processes. When you open the pipe for read in one, it will wait for the other process to open it for write before finishing.

Write to it with write(fd, buffer, size), read from it with read(fd, buffer, size)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

IPC using named pipe

Hi All, I am facing a vague issue while trying to make two process talk to each other using named pipe. read process ========= The process which reads, basically creates FIFO using mkfifo - ret_val = mkfifo(HALF_DUPLEX, 0666);) func. It then opens the pipe using open func - fd =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sharanbr
1 Replies

2. Programming

IPC using named pipe

Hi All, I am facing a vague issue while trying to make two process talk to each other using named pipe. read process ========= The process which reads, basically creates FIFO using mkfifo - ret_val = mkfifo(HALF_DUPLEX, 0666) func. It then opens the pipe using open func - fd = open... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharanbr
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

named pipe with persistent buffer

Hey folks, i need communicate between 2 processes in a reliable manner. The information delivery has to be guarenteed. I thought about proc 2 sending a signal to proc 1 when information has being written to disc and wirte() has been verified (sync/flush). The IPC method for the data is named... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: heck
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Named PIPE

Gurus, I've a File Transaction Server, which communicates with other servers and performs some processing.It uses many Named PIPE's. By mistake i copied a named PIPE into a text file. I heard that PIPE files shouldn't be copied.Isn't it? Since it's a production box, i'm afraid on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tamil
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Named Pipe contents to a file

I want to copy the contents of a named pipe to a file. I have tried using: cat pipe.p >> transcript.log but I have been unsuccessful, any ideas? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: carl_vieyra
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

will a named pipe always be size 0 on filesystem?

I did cat < myFile >> myPipe I was hoping that if I did ls -l, myPipe would now be holding the contents of myFile, and would be the same size. But it was 0. Also strange was that when I did the command above, cat did not return control back to the shell. Why? thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesByars
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

pipe to file named with date

I would like to pipe (redirect ? - what is the right term?) the output of my script to a file named with the current date. If I run this at a command prompt: date +'%Y%m%d" ...it returns "20110429" OK, that's good... so I try: ./script.sh > "'date +%Y%m%d'.csv" I get a file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: landog
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Named pipe in shell script

Hi, I want to use a Named pipe to get input from a growing file for further processing. When I prototype this scenario using a while loop, the data is not written to the named pipe. This the script I use to get data into the Named pipe: #!/bin/ksh mkfifo pipe while (( n <= 10 )) do echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudvishw
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Named pipe performance

Hi, I am getting data into a Named pipe. Does Named pipe have any size restriction; I know it does not have any storage and it just passes on the data to the next process. I want to know, if there will be a difference in the Named pipe performance if the data input is more. (I am using DB2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudvishw
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Named pipe hanging?

Ok, I can't seem to figure this out or find anything on the web about this. I'm on Sun Solaris, UNIX. I have the following test script: #!/bin/ksh touch test.file LOG=./tmp.log rm -f ${LOG} PIPE=./tmp.pipe mkfifo ${PIPE} trap "rm -f ${PIPE}" EXIT tee -a ${LOG} < ${PIPE} & ... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ditto
17 Replies
pfsinmulti(1)						      General Commands Manual						     pfsinmulti(1)

NAME
pfsinmulti - read several streams of frames and write pfs streams to named pipes SYNOPSIS
pfsinmulti pfsinmulti <file> [--frames f:s:t] [--skip-frames] [<file>...] -- command @1 @2 [@3 ...] DESCRIPTION
Use this command to read several animation sequences and write them to pfsstreams. This command is useful with those pfs programs, which take several pfs streams as arguments. For example, the following command can be used to combine two animations so that there are stitched together: pfsinmulti anim_a-%04d.hdr anim_b-%04d.hdr -- pfscat @1 @2 arguments @1 and @2 are replaced with named pipes for anim_a-%04d.hdr and anim_b-%04d.hdr frames respectively. command argument is obliga- tory and it must be preceded with '--'. There should be as many @1, @2, .., @n arguments as there are animation sequences given as input. Arguments --frames, --skip-frames and other options are handled the same way as in pfsin program. Also pfsinmulti recognizes the same file formats as pfsin. Technically, pfsinmulti creates a named pipe for each pfsstream, replaces @n arguments with the names of those pipes and deletes the pipes when command finishes. EXAMPLES
pfsinmulti image1.hdr image2.hdr -- cat @1 @2 | pfsview Does the same as 'pfsv image1.hdr image2.hdr' but in much more sophisticated way. SEE ALSO
pfsin(1) BUGS
This command currently does not handle multiple frames given with a %d pattern in case of LDR formats: JPEG, PNG, PNM. Please report bugs and comments to Rafal Mantiuk <mantiuk@mpi-sb.mpg.de>. pfsinmulti(1)