Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How swap used in HPUX ?
Operating Systems HP-UX How swap used in HPUX ? Post 302574452 by sidharthmellam on Thursday 17th of November 2011 10:37:50 AM
Old 11-17-2011
How swap used in HPUX ?

Please clarify

Version: HP-UX <hostname> B.11.31 U ia64 unlimited-user license

Physical Configured is 36 GB

CPU info:
4 Intel(R) Itanium 2 9000 series processors (1.6 GHz, 24 MB)
533 MT/s bus, CPU version C2
12 logical processors

Memory: 36813 MB (35.95 GB)

Swap Configured is :

Glance output:
==============
Code:
CPU  Util   S          SAU                                         U                                     | 63%   63%   63%
Disk Util   F                                                                                          F |100%  100%  100%
Mem  Util   S                SU                                                                      UF  |100%  100%  100%
Swap Util   U                                    UR                   R                                  | 64%   64%   64%

Am using SAP Application and Database, My question is ,

The swap usage remains used at 63% or 64% even though the Memory Utilization is 100% or 95% or 90%

Why the swap usage is not increasing in the system .

My understanding of swap usage is , when More Physical memory being used , automatically system should start using the swap configured in the system , in our case it is configured 61440 Mb , why the system is not utilizing the swap ?
it is always used at 63% or 64%

Thanks in advance
Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use code tags!

---------- Post updated at 09:07 PM ---------- Previous update was at 09:07 PM ----------

¨

swapinfo -tam output is
Code:
Mb      Mb      Mb   PCT  START/      Mb
TYPE      AVAIL    USED    FREE  USED   LIMIT RESERVE  PRI  NAME
dev       61440   11907   49533   19%       0       -    1  /dev/vg00/lvol2
reserve       -   21636  -21636
memory    35016   27908    7108   80%
total     96456   61451   35005   64%       -       0    -

Last edited by vbe; 11-17-2011 at 12:14 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HPUX 10.20 et HPUX 11

Is there any problems of binaries compatibility between HPUX 10.20 et 11 ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Olivier
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Swap

When i re-updated my system i set my swap at 500 MB. I have 256 in ram and have never even gone into the 250 mb of swap that i had originally configured. How do I reduce the swap? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: macdonto
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

New to HPUX

Hi, I am a SAP Basis admin recentely been asked to administer a HPUX server. Could someone recommend some good study material to learn with the Sap prespective. -carry (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: carryclare
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

About swap

Is it really so that if swap will be located in the begining of hard drive, than it will work faster? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ty3
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Swap config - Mirror swap or not?

Hello and thanks in advance. I have a Sun box with raid 1 on the O/S disks using solaris svm. I want to unmirror my swap partition, and add the slice on the second disk as an additional swap device. This would give me twice as much swap space. I have been warned not to do this by some... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Script to Use CPUs on a HPUX server to simulate Workload Manager on HPUX.

I am running HPUX and using WLM (workload manager). I want to write a script to fork CPUs to basically take CPUs from other servers to show that the communication is working and CPU licensing is working. Basically, I want to build a script that will use up CPU on a server. Any ideas? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cpolikowsky
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

swap not defined as swap

free -m : 1023 total swap space created default partition /dev/sdb1 50M using fdisk. i did write the changes. #mkswap /dev/sdb1 #swapon /dev/sdb1 free -m : 1078 total swap space this shows that the swap is on Question : i did not change the type LINUX SWAP (82) in fdisk. so why is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dplinux
5 Replies

8. HP-UX

Swap device file and swap sapce

Hi I have an integrity machine rx7620 and rx8640 running hp-ux 11.31. I'm planning to fine tune the system: - I would like to know when does the memory swap space spill over to the device swap space? - And how much % of memory swap utilization should be specified (swap space device... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamoul
6 Replies

9. HP-UX

pwage-hpux-T for Trusted HPUX servers

I'm sharing this in case anybody needs it. Modified from the original solaris pwage script. This modified hpux script will check /etc/password file on hpux trusted systems search /tcb and grep the required u_succhg field. Calculate days to expiry and notify users via email. original solaris... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcguy
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Explain the output of swap -s and swap -l

Hi Solaris Folks :), I need to calculate the swap usage on solaris server, please let me understand the output of below swap -s and swap -l commands. $swap -s total: 1774912k bytes allocated + 240616k reserved = 2015528k used, 14542512k available $swap -l swapfile dev swaplo... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: seenuvasan1985
6 Replies