Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Problem with a cron job
Operating Systems Solaris Problem with a cron job Post 302574311 by kkalyan on Thursday 17th of November 2011 05:10:20 AM
Old 11-17-2011
Error Problem with a cron job

When i am trying to open crontab throught command crontab -e. It is not opening?
OUTPUT:
Code:
# crontab -e
sh: vim: not found

The crontab file was not changed.

Please let me know how to open and edit it???

Last edited by Scott; 11-17-2011 at 06:13 AM.. Reason: Code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Run cron job problem

I have the below crontab job that it will run at every 7:00am - 10:00am , it work fine , now if I want to skip to run the crontab job at a specific time , eg. I want the script not to run at next Monday 8:00am ( only skip this time , other time is normal ) , how can I make it ? is it possible ?... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ust
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Cron job skipping problem

Hi, I have a crontab that runs some shell scripts at fixed intervals. Although, one condition for a script to continue is that a previous instance of the same script should have terminated. But, inspite of the fact that the old instance has finished execution, the new instance still terminates. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: puneetarora_12
3 Replies

3. Solaris

cron job problem

I am trying to setup cronjob and once I start to save it is not working. This is what I am getting after I executed crontab -e, I am not even getting the privious entry and I am running from root. crontab -e 421 10 3 * * * /usr/sbin/logadm ? :wq ? Why is it not saving? Any input is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mokkan
4 Replies

4. Solaris

problem with cron job

new to unix here, im learning how to schedule jobs with crontab. The following cron job runs under root but not under a test account i created. 50 11 * * 0 /usr/bin/banner "HELLO" > /dev/console i have no idea with it isn't running under the test account but runs right on time when i create... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: solne
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cron job problem(urgent)

Hey all. Im totally new with makeing websites ect The thing is, i wanted to make one of those pimp games, so i installed a script called mypimpscript.. it works but the 10mins cron jobs dont... ive tried to set it up in cpanel, but im doing it wrong :S right now it looks like this php... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: princess
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scheduling Cron job-Problem

Hello All, I want to run a script for every 5 minutes interval.So i developed a script which has to be scheduled to run for every 5 minutes. That script internally runs another script. But the problem is it is not executing properly. Can anybody throw some light on this. Below are the code... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RSC1985
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with Cron job

Hi , I have a TCL script which i am supposed to run as a cron job.. The script works fine from command line , but when run as a cron job , its unable to find a package,, my crontab is as follows. --------------------------- #!/usr/bin/ksh * * * * * PATH=/cm8/auto/Automation/Library/TclLib ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sudharshana
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

EOF problem with Cron Job?

Hey guys... first post here... I have set up the following cron to create daily backups for me and rotate them weekly: date=`date +%d`; tar -zcvf /home/mysite/backups/backup_dev_$date.tgz /home/mysite/public_html/dev/app --exclude=/home/mysite/public_html/dev/app/tmp However, I keep... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Crazy Serb
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cron job problem

I have a perl script which Im planning to run every minute. I have set the cron job as * * * * * PATH= /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/lib; perl /dm2/www/html/isos/pre5.3/autoDownload.pl I assume the script is executing every minute only because I see a entry like below when I do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: srijith
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execution problem with CRON job

HI, I have written an executable file in unix and I was able to execute it successfully but when I called this file with cron job it was giving error like "permission denied" and "No such file or directory". Please help in how cron calls the file and what permission is required on the file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vipin kumar rai
2 Replies
CRONTAB(1)						      General Commands Manual							CRONTAB(1)

NAME
crontab - maintain crontab files for individual users (Vixie Cron) SYNOPSIS
crontab [ -u user ] file crontab [ -u user ] [ -i ] { -e | -l | -r } DESCRIPTION
crontab is the program used to install, deinstall or list the tables used to drive the cron(8) daemon in Vixie Cron. Each user can have their own crontab, and though these are files in /var/spool/cron/crontabs, they are not intended to be edited directly. If the /etc/cron.allow file exists, then you must be listed (one user per line) therein in order to be allowed to use this command. If the /etc/cron.allow file does not exist but the /etc/cron.deny file does exist, then you must not be listed in the /etc/cron.deny file in order to use this command. If neither of these files exists, then depending on site-dependent configuration parameters, only the super user will be allowed to use this command, or all users will be able to use this command. If both files exist then /etc/cron.allow takes precedence. Which means that /etc/cron.deny is not considered and your user must be listed in /etc/cron.allow in order to be able to use the crontab. Regardless of the existance of any of these files, the root administrative user is always allowed to setup a crontab. For standard Debian systems, all users may use this command. If the -u option is given, it specifies the name of the user whose crontab is to be used (when listing) or modified (when editing). If this option is not given, crontab examines "your" crontab, i.e., the crontab of the person executing the command. Note that su(8) can confuse crontab and that if you are running inside of su(8) you should always use the -u option for safety's sake. The first form of this command is used to install a new crontab from some named file or standard input if the pseudo-filename ``-'' is given. The -l option causes the current crontab to be displayed on standard output. See the note under DEBIAN SPECIFIC below. The -r option causes the current crontab to be removed. The -e option is used to edit the current crontab using the editor specified by the VISUAL or EDITOR environment variables. After you exit from the editor, the modified crontab will be installed automatically. If neither of the environment variables is defined, then the default editor /usr/bin/editor is used. The -i option modifies the -r option to prompt the user for a 'y/Y' response before actually removing the crontab. DEBIAN SPECIFIC
The "out-of-the-box" behaviour for crontab -l is to display the three line "DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE" header that is placed at the beginning of the crontab when it is installed. The problem is that it makes the sequence crontab -l | crontab - non-idempotent -- you keep adding copies of the header. This causes pain to scripts that use sed to edit a crontab. Therefore, the default behaviour of the -l option has been changed to not output such header. You may obtain the original behaviour by setting the environment variable CRONTAB_NOHEADER to 'N', which will cause the crontab -l command to emit the extraneous header. SEE ALSO
crontab(5), cron(8) FILES
/etc/cron.allow /etc/cron.deny /var/spool/cron/crontabs There is one file for each user's crontab under the /var/spool/cron/crontabs directory. Users are not allowed to edit the files under that directory directly to ensure that only users allowed by the system to run periodic tasks can add them, and only syntactically correct crontabs will be written there. This is enforced by having the directory writable only by the crontab group and configuring crontab com- mand with the setgid bid set for that specific group. STANDARDS
The crontab command conforms to IEEE Std1003.2-1992 (``POSIX''). This new command syntax differs from previous versions of Vixie Cron, as well as from the classic SVR3 syntax. DIAGNOSTICS
A fairly informative usage message appears if you run it with a bad command line. cron requires that each entry in a crontab end in a newline character. If the last entry in a crontab is missing the newline, cron will consider the crontab (at least partially) broken and refuse to install it. AUTHOR
Paul Vixie <paul@vix.com> 4th Berkeley Distribution 19 April 2010 CRONTAB(1)