Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Appending unix timestamp to every line of a statistical file Post 302574241 by thinktank on Thursday 17th of November 2011 01:38:50 AM
Old 11-17-2011
Question Appending unix timestamp to every line of a statistical file

I have a statistical file populating every minute as below:
Code:
2011-11-11-1108	1955	891
2011-11-11-1109	2270	1049
2011-11-11-1110	1930	904
2011-11-11-1111	2030	931
2011-11-11-1112	1944	900
2011-11-11-1113	1922	875

Instead of having the date and time in the given format (2011-11-11-1113) I would like it to view it as a unix timestamp in seconds based on seconds since standard epoch of 1/1/1970. Can anyone assist?Smilie

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use code tags!

Last edited by zaxxon; 11-17-2011 at 03:09 AM.. Reason: code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending data at the first and last line of a file

Hi, Am trying to write a shell script which will append a header and a footer to an existing file. Header will contain details like the current date while the footer will contain the no: of records listed in the file. I know we can use the CAT command, but i have no clue abt the syntax to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: brainstormer
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

appending timestamp to a file

hi freinds, i need to append timestamp to a file name to make it unique... do we have any command in unix to do please help :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhu_aqua14
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending the line number and a seperator to each line of a file ?

Hi, I am a newb as far as shell scripting and SED goes so bear with me on this one. I want to basically append to each line in a file a delimiter character and the line's line number e.g Change the file from :- aaaaaa bbbbbb cccccc to:- aaaaaa;1 bbbbbb;2 cccccc;3 I have worked... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pjcwhite
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending a line in a file after a particular line

Hello, I have got a C file in which I would like to add an include statement of my own. There are already a few include statements and mine should come right after the last existing one (to be neat). With grep I can get the lines containing the word 'include' and I guess I should feed the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxvirrozeito
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending a column in one file to the corresponding line in a second

It appears that this has been asked and answered in similar fashions previously, but I am still unsure how to approach this. I have two files containing user information: fileA ttim:/home/ttim:Tiny Tim:632 ppinto:/home/ppinto:Pam Pinto:633 fileB ttim:xkfgjkd*&#^jhdfh... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suzannef
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

appending data to last line of file

A friend contacted me recently with an interesting question. We got something worked out, but I'm curious what answers you all can come up with. Given a shell script (in bash) that processes a bunch of data and appends it to a file, how would you append the date, time, and a filename to the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: malcolmpdx
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Appending timestamp problem

Hi, I am trying to insert a timestamp after all the file names in a folder,after the timestamp is created in the filename the file size is becoming zero bytes. please tell me where I am doing it wrong. I have declared the variable in starting of my script. timestamp=`date... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shruthidwh
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Appending Date at the end ONLY in first line of file

Hi, My requirement is to append a date in format DDMMYYYYHHMISS at the end of first line of file which is HEADER. I am trying command sed -i '1s/.*/&<date_format>/' <file_name> Where <date_format>=`date +%m%d%Y%H%M%S` I am somehow misisng the right quotes ti get this added in above... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjaydubey2006
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending timestamp to a file. Why do I need this space ?

Version Info $ cat /etc/redhat-release Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.4 (Tikanga) $ $ echo $0 -ksh I was trying to append date to the file name. The following syntax has worked $ touch HELLO-`date '+%d-%b-%Y'`.txt $ ls -alrt HELL* -rw-r--r-- 1 rlapp oinstall 0 Feb 20... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: John K
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - Appending to specific line in file

I'm working on a personal project, a multiplication quiz script for my kids. In it, the user's performance will be recorded and written to a file. After they've played it a little while, it will start to focus more on the ones that give them the most trouble-- that take a long time to answer or... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: treesloth
4 Replies
deb-origin(5)							      Debian							     deb-origin(5)

NAME
deb-origin - Vendor-specific information files SYNOPSIS
/etc/dpkg/origins/filename DESCRIPTION
The files in /etc/dpkg/origins can provide information about various vendors who are providing Debian packages. They contain a number of fields, or comments when the line starts with '#'. Each field begins with a tag, such as Vendor or Parent, followed by a colon and the body of the field. Fields are delimited only by field tags. In other words, field text may be multiple lines in length, but the tools will join lines when processing the body of the field. REQUIRED FIELDS
Vendor: vendor-name The value of this field determines the vendor name. OPTIONAL FIELDS
Vendor-URL: vendor-url The value of this field determines the vendor URL. Bugs: bug-url The value of this field determines the type and address of the bug tracking system used by this vendor. It can be a mailto URL or a debbugs URL (e.g., debbugs://bugs.debian.org/). Parent: vendor-name The value of this field determines the vendor name of the vendor that this vendor derives from. EXAMPLE
Vendor: Debian Vendor-URL: http://www.debian.org/ Bugs: debbugs://bugs.debian.org SEE ALSO
dpkg-vendor(1) Debian Project 2011-11-10 deb-origin(5)