Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to check background tasks status, if fail report Post 302573864 by meetvipin on Tuesday 15th of November 2011 11:47:16 PM
Old 11-16-2011
MySQL How to check background tasks status, if fail report

Hi,

I have a requirement where I want to submit appx 100 jobs based on the files received. Assume today I received source file for 50 jobs, then I have submit a common script at 50 times.

This common script will take appx 1-2 mins to finish. I can' complete my parent script untill all the 50 submitted jobs completed.

How can I desing for this?

Thanks,
meetvipin

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

exit status of Invoking two or more scripts in background

I have a sript which is going to trigger other 3 scripts in background simultaneously for eg: Main Script:(main.sh) ----------- sh a.sh & sh b.sh & sh c.sh & How to catch the exit status and store it in a variable for all those three scripts in main script. Is there any other way of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Omkumar
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

retrieving exit status from background processes

Hi, I need to retrieve the exit status of 4 moves running as background processes. The wait command will not work since it can only give me the exit status of the last of the background processes. Here's a sample of what I need !#/bin/ksh mv /dir1/subdir1/*.Z /dir6/subdir6/ & mv... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MG537
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

check the status and send an email with status

Hi, We have a text file which has the following data. ISA~00~ ~00~ ~ZZ~VISTN ~ZZ~U1CAD ~051227~183 7~U~00200~000011258~0~P~< GS~FA~EE05J~U1CAD~051227~1831~000011258~X~002002 ST~997~0001 AK1~SH~247 AK2~856~2470001 AK5~A AK2~856~2470002 AK5~A... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: isingh786
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to know the status of process running in background

I have run one shell script in background that contains a endless while loop. I am not able to know the status of that job . Please provide any command to know this. I have already used "ps -aef" , "jobs" to know it , but it didn't work. I am sure the process is running as it is generating a file... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumanta
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing the exit status of the script running in background

Hi All, I have a scenario where I am executing some child shell scripts in background (using &)through a master parent script. Is there a way I can capture the exit status of each individual child script after the execution is completed. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: paragkalra
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Background tasks in a loop (bash)

I am trying to use a loop to start tasks 0-3, running 0,1,2 in the background with &. FOLDSET=( 0 1 2 3 ) for FOLDSET in ${FOLDSET} do if ; then BACKGRD="&" else BACKGRD="" fi # start task $FOLDSET task1 -nogui -ni -p $PROJ \ epochs=$EPOS ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Fail to check disk

Hi there, I can't find any way to check the file system on a partition. The two following command fail with the same result: e2fsck /dev/sdc10 e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/sdc10Output: e2fsck 1.41.3 (12-Oct-2008) e2fsck: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sdc10 The... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to make entries background tasks in the table?

Hi am new to unix , when the background task is running how to put entry in the table and also if there is any issue how to stop the running task. can anyone help me... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Venkatesh1
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get status of dd running in background job

Hello everyone While working on TUI for scripts, there there came the idea to' add a command' for dd too. That was, after 'wrapping' tar and wget either, to display their growing size and return the exit code with a textual-visual-feedback to the user. Now displaying the filesize of a... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
13 Replies
condor_wait(1)						      General Commands Manual						    condor_wait(1)

Name
       condor_wait Wait - for jobs to finish

Synopsis
       condor_wait [-help -version]

condor_wait[-debug] [-wait seconds] [-num number-of-jobs] log-file[job ID]

Description
       condor_waitwatches  a  user  log file (created with the logcommand within a submit description file) and returns when one or more jobs from
       the log have completed or aborted.

Because condor_waitexpects to find at least one job submitted event in the log file, at least one job must have been successfully submitted
       with condor_submitbefore condor_waitis executed.

condor_waitwill wait forever for jobs to finish, unless a shorter wait time is specified.

Options
       -help

Display usage information

-version

Display version information

-debug

Show extra debugging information.

-wait seconds

Wait no more than the integer number of seconds. The default is unlimited time.

-num number-of-jobs

Wait for the integer number-of-jobsjobs to end. The default is all jobs in the log file.

log file

The name of the log file to watch for information about the job.

job ID

A  specific job or set of jobs to watch. If the job IDis only the job ClassAd attribute  ClusterId , then condor_wait waits for all jobs
	  with the given  ClusterId . If the job IDis a pair of the job ClassAd attributes, given by  ClusterId . ProcId , then condor_wait  waits
	  for  the specific job with this job ID. If this option is not specified, all jobs that exist in the log file when condor_wait is invoked
	  will be watched.

General Remarks
       condor_waitis an inexpensive way to test or wait for the completion of a job or a whole cluster, if you are trying to get a process outside
       of Condor to synchronize with a job or set of jobs.

It can also be used to wait for the completion of a limited subset of jobs, via the -numoption.

Examples
       condor_wait  logfile

This command waits for all jobs that exist in  logfile to complete.

condor_wait  logfile 40

This command waits for all jobs that exist in  logfile with a job ClassAd attribute  ClusterId of 40 to complete.

condor_wait  -num 2 logfile

This command waits for any two jobs that exist in  logfile to complete.

condor_wait  logfile 40.1

This command waits for job 40.1 that exists in  logfile to complete.

condor_wait  -wait 3600 logfile 40.1

This waits for job 40.1 to complete by watching	logfile , but it will not wait more than one hour (3600 seconds).

Exit Status
       condor_waitexits  with  0  if and only if the specified job or jobs have completed or aborted. condor_waitreturns 1 if unrecoverable errors
       occur, such as a missing log file, if the job does not exist in the log file, or the user-specified waiting time has expired.

Author
       Condor Team, University of Wisconsin-Madison

Copyright
       Copyright (C) 1990-2012 Condor Team, Computer Sciences Department, University of  Wisconsin-Madison,  Madison,  WI.  All  Rights  Reserved.
       Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0.

See the Condor Version 7.8.2 Manualor http://www.condorproject.org/licensefor additional notices. condor-admin@cs.wisc.edu

September 2012						    condor_wait(1)